GRAPHIC Starving POW, looks worse than Nazi camp survivors?

I wonder that as well, and hope the answer is yes.

Given the state of medicine at the time, wonder if they knew how to treat malnutrition. Don't remember now where I read it, but some of the WWII POW survivors died after liberation because they were given too much of the wrong kind of food. IIRC the doctors of WWII had to develop a special diet.

My great grandfather was one of these men, unfortunately I never met him because he had the wrong food essentially rupturing his stomach and putting him in a coma. While in the pow camp he was fed oatmeal mixed with sawdust as filler, very sad to see photos of him when he got back.

Oh cool! I hadn't seen that. Where did you find access to the Daily Eastern Argus? I should like to flip through that.

On genealogybank.com

Given the state of medicine at the time, wonder if they knew how to treat malnutrition. Don't remember now where I read it, but some of the WWII POW survivors died after liberation because they were given too much of the wrong kind of food. IIRC the doctors of WWII had to develop a special diet.
More on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome

I tried to see if anyone has looked at medical care of Andersonville prisoners after their release and tried to identify examples of refeeding syndrome, but surprisingly can't find much specific.

Back