History Starbucks

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Diane mentioned Starbucks in one of the coffee threads. One can't talk about coffee without talking about this company.

Today they are the largest coffeehouse company in the world with over 20,000 stores in 62 countries.

Starbucks started in Seattle, Washington in 1971. It was started by three friends, Jerry Baldwin, Zev Siegl and Gordon Bowker. They operated one store that roasted and ground coffee.

In 1984 the original owners sold their stores in Washington and the new owner started idea of the coffeehouse as seen by him after a trip to Italy. The coffeehouse idea was where people could get together, talk, read, etc. and drink coffee. Today Starbucks not only sells coffees, but other hot and cold beverages, pastries, sandwiches and other snacks.

Do you know how the owners came up with the name Starbucks? It is from the Moby Dick story. The first mate was named Starbuck. They felt this a good name as reflected sea going ships and how they brought coffee to the country.

See Starbucks home site for other history and all the products they sell.

I have to admit my husband and I frequent Starbucks several times a week. We have their gold card. This entitles you to a free drink, any kind and size you want, after you buy so much. You also get a free drink, any kind on your birthday. It is for us excellent coffee and they serve many types that all have an unique taste.

I guess one could say coffee is the world's favorite beverage and has been for many years.

Diane mentioned Starbucks in one of the coffee threads. One can't talk about coffee without talking about this company.

Today they are the largest coffeehouse company in the world with over 20,000 stores in 62 countries.

Starbucks started in Seattle, Washington in 1971. It was started by three friends, Jerry Baldwin, Zev Siegl and Gordon Bowker. They operated one store that roasted and ground coffee.

In 1984 the original owners sold their stores in Washington and the new owner started idea of the coffeehouse as seen by him after a trip to Italy. The coffeehouse idea was where people could get together, talk, read, etc. and drink coffee. Today Starbucks not only sells coffees, but other hot and cold beverages, pastries, sandwiches and other snacks.

Do you know how the owners came up with the name Starbucks? It is from the Moby Dick story. The first mate was named Starbuck. They felt this a good name as reflected sea going ships and how they brought coffee to the country.

See Starbucks home site for other history and all the products they sell.

I have to admit my husband and I frequent Starbucks several times a week. We have their gold card. This entitles you to a free drink, any kind and size you want, after you buy so much. You also get a free drink, any kind on your birthday. It is for us excellent coffee and they serve many types that all have an unique taste.

I guess one could say coffee is the world's favorite beverage and has been for many years.

I have a weakness for Starbuck's, too and they also have some delicious goodies to go with their coffee. I'm particularly fond of their gingerbread with citrus bits in it! Their coffee is unusually strong in caffeine - a normal brewed cup is about 80 - 120 mg but Starbuck's is around 240 mg! There's a little more to the story of the name - one of the three founders liked Moby Dick and it was Pequod he wanted to name his coffee company after. (Guess he didn't pick up on why the Pequod was named that!) But there was also a logging town nearby named Starbo. So, they decided on Starbuck's as a combination.

Have to admit I first walked into their store simply because it was named Starbuck's. He was my favorite character in Moby Dick. Gosh, gee, how crazy did Ahab have to be to get a Quaker to want to murder him! Anyway, Starbuck is the name of a whaling family, very well known on Nantucket even today. Nathaniel Philbrick wrote a very good book on the Nantucketers - Away Offshore: Nantucket Island and Its People.

I have a weakness for Starbuck's, too and they also have some delicious goodies to go with their coffee. I'm particularly fond of their gingerbread with citrus bits in it! Their coffee is unusually strong in caffeine - a normal brewed cup is about 80 - 120 mg but Starbuck's is around 240 mg! There's a little more to the story of the name - one of the three founders liked Moby Dick and it was Pequod he wanted to name his coffee company after. (Guess he didn't pick up on why the Pequod was named that!) But there was also a logging town nearby named Starbo. So, they decided on Starbuck's as a combination.

Have to admit I first walked into their store simply because it was named Starbuck's. He was my favorite character in Moby Dick. Gosh, gee, how crazy did Ahab have to be to get a Quaker to want to murder him! Anyway, Starbuck is the name of a whaling family, very well known on Nantucket even today. Nathaniel Philbrick wrote a very good book on the Nantucketers - Away Offshore: Nantucket Island and Its People.
Thanks, Diane, for mentioning the Nantucket book. Islands and their inhabitants interest me, so gotta check it out.

Reactions: Sbc
They sell there coffee on the store shelves out here too, but being from WA. I have never liked there coffee, but they do have shops every where and they seem to be busy!!!!

I know I should like Starbucks, because it's the "in" thing to do, but everytime I drink even their "blond" blend, I get indigestion. Must be something about the roasting process they use. I can drink the mini-mart stuff from places like Wawa and Sheetz marts, no problem, but not Starbucks--which is good, since the other stuff is less expensive!

I know I should like Starbucks, because it's the "in" thing to do, but everytime I drink even their "blond" blend, I get indigestion. Must be something about the roasting process they use. I can drink the mini-mart stuff from places like Wawa and Sheetz marts, no problem, but not Starbucks--which is good, since the other stuff is less expensive!
:smile coffee:

Oh, gosh, this Starbucks bashing is hurting my heart because that is seriously what I lived off of every Sunday morning when I was little. We had a tradition, my family when I was a little girl, every weekend, that we would go to the beach and play in the water and my dad would drive and pick us up treats at Starbucks and coffee for him and for my mom since we'd often go to the beach early to avoid the mid-morning heat. I would always get a lemon bar, which I don't think that they have anymore, since they re-vamped the treats section. Granted, my father usually would dump so much sugar and cream that his iced coffee would turn into a milkshake, but still! Coffee nevertheless.

And now, that I'm older we don't that tradition anymore. But the Starbucks my dad's offices still knows his name and order by heart, just when he walks through the door. :D

For National Coffee Day, I have to mention Starbucks. My husband and I love their coffee.

Today, Sept. 29th is also our anniversary. We have been married 31 wonderful years. So for today will have a great cup of coffee to start the day and celebrate these precious and memorable years together.
Belated congratulations, Donna!
I like Starbucks very much, too, but here the coffee and other drinks are ridiculously expensive. But while on vacation anywhere in the world, I always have a Caramel Frappuccino with cream on top!

Starbucks, schmarbutts. The best coffee is the stuff you brew at home on a weekend morning and share a bag of chocolate-chip cookies with your significant other.

Micky D makes a better cuppa than Starbucks. You just have to let it sit for a half hour before you can drink it.

As someone who can't function without it, I'm in agreement the best coffee is that you make yourself. Yuban is my preferred grocery store brand. I stock up when it's on sale.

The best chain store coffee is Dunkin' Donuts', if you ask me. Starbucks is just way too bitter. And expensive.

Happy Anniversary to you, Donna!

As someone who can't function without it, I'm in agreement the best coffee is that you make yourself. Yuban is my preferred grocery store brand. I stock up when it's on sale.

The best chain store coffee is Dunkin' Donuts', if you ask me. Starbucks is just way too bitter. And expensive.

Happy Anniversary to you, Donna!
Wow, I haven't heard of or seen Yuban for years.i quess they have no idea of it here in florida.

Back