1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Spencer Repeating rifle

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by krokov, Oct 10, 2009.

1. krokov

krokov Cadet

Hi My name is Les. I inherited a Spencer Rifle. I have been trying to search its serial number and get some information about where its been. It has 2 cartouche stamps. If someone has information where I should look I would be appreciate it. Its Number 23849. I have some serial number info on 23616, 23728, 23960, 24189, Thanks

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. John Gross

John Gross Private

Are you sure the serial number is in the 73,000 range? There are no known Spencers in that range.

John Gross

4. JeffBussey

JeffBussey Cadet

I think the Spencer came out in 1864, am I right?

Jeff

5. krokov

krokov Cadet

The number 7 has a line through it. It is not as clear as the other numbers , it must be a 7 .I just looked at it again to make sure, it is 738xx patent 1860 Thanks

6. krokov

krokov Cadet

It was patent in 1860 Not sure The date they were shipped

7. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

Is it a rifle or carbine? The rifle was in service by mid 1863 the carbine considerably later.

8. sf46

sf46 Corporal

Could the 7 with a line through it possibly be a 2?

9. krokov

krokov Cadet

It is a army rifle

10. krokov

krokov Cadet

No it is not a 2. Do you know of any Spencers that have a 7 in the serial number have a line through it.

11. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Never heard of a U.S. serial number with a line through the 7. Any chance it was reproofed and restamped in some other country? That is, the European style "7" was added to surplus arms and the serial number is really 38xx? Or manufactured under license from Spencer?

12. John Gross

John Gross Private

Remove the wood forearm. There should be a matching serial number on the bottom of the barrel. Maybe it will be easier to read than the frame number.

Model 1860 Spencers (actual delivery began late 1862/early 1863) are numbered from 1 to 62,000. Model 1865's begin again at 1 and go to about 30,000. Model 1865's contracted and made by the Burnside Rifle Company are serial numbered from 1 to approximately 25,000. Model 1867 Spencers are numbered from approx. 90,000-100,000+.

For whatever reason Spencer skipped numbers 62,000-90,000. So your rifle should not have a serial number in the 73,000 range.

[All numbers above are off the top of my head from memory but are close.]

John Gross

13. krokov

krokov Cadet

Not sure if it was restamped. I will look and see if I can check out the bottom of the barrel for the serial number. Thanks

14. John Gross

John Gross Private

Another thought. Since the 7 has a line through it, could mean "disregard this number." In other words the sn is not in the 73,000 range, but in the 3,000 range.

Not very professional, but better than discarding a perfectly good frame because of a mistamped number.

I'll be off-line for a few days, so if you discover any new info maybe someone else can unwrap your mystery. If not, I'll be back.

John Gross

15. krokov

krokov Cadet

I looked at removing the wood to check out bottom of barrel,with it being a rifle I would do more harm than good. So the women of the house suggested trying a paper transfer.So I placed a piece of paper over the serial number,rubed over it with the side of a pencil. The 7 with the line through it now looks like a 2. Sorry for the confusion. The serial number is 23849. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

16. ole

How are you at multi-tasking krokov? You might be using some of your time to be tracing the lineage. From whom did you get it? From whom did he get it? Got any greatuncles or greataunts who might venture a guess as to where it came from?

From what I've seen on this site so far, someone will be able to find the unit to which it was issued. Hang in there. Someone will be along soon with information or hints on where to look.

Ole

17. John Gross

John Gross Private

I don't have any information on that specific sn, but if it is indeed a RIFLE (30" barrel, three band fastened) then it was for the State of Mass, with delivery sometime in mid-1864 (approximately). Most all of the Spencer rifles in the 22-24,000 sn range were purchased by Mass.

John Gross

18. Leah's Choice

Leah's Choice Cadet

The 7 with the line through it is traditionally used to distinguish it from the # 1. If you look closely at the 1 you can see a tiny line extending downward and to the left. On some other fonts it is more pronounced, and can look a little like a 7. I think the practice originated in Europe, and isn't used much in this country....I've seen it on really old genealogy records from the 1700s and early 1800s.

19. krokov

krokov Cadet

My father purchased the Spencer along with 3 different rifles about 48 years ago. No information about them rifles that I know of. He is no longer with us.

20. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

You have a treasure krokov.

21. ole

Agreed, it's a treasure just as it is. You'd have to do some powerful digging to trace it back further.

Ole

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)