Spangler Meadow ca. 1890 T&N

Kind of.

I have been taking freinds, family and coworkers to Gettysburg for years. I am well read on Gettysburg, but attempting to memorize all the actions is something I simply can't do. I use a couple map books with the regiments shown only if I have to. I normally determine an itinerary and put notes gathered from books and the internet on index cards. I have found most people aren't terribly interested in regiments and casualty statistics. Typically they want to see Picket's Charge and the 20th Maine. I have 2 buddies that I take frequently that are into the details of Gettysburg. So they are challenging to come up with something new. Trust me, I could not pass a Gettysburg License Guide test. But I try.

I can navigate myself around the battlefield really well. I probably have over 120 days on the battlefield over the years.
The only place I haven't been to is Neill Avenue. It is called Lost Avenue for a reason. I love taking people to places they have never been to. Some are in wide open areas such as the 1st Minnesota monument which remarkably not many know about their day 2 action. Others are out of the way spots with interesting tales (such as the Rose Farm rocks, "DA" rock,etc).

Everytime I see Greg's postings it feels like I am going home. I have seen most of the Then photos ( but not many of the art work he uses) over the years. But when he posts the now photos, it seems like I am standing right there.

It does appear that Greg's photos are taken in the summer. But as I stated above, summer brings weeds, brush and leaves which obscures the sight lines. The NPS has removed trees and brush which helps a lot but you need the cold weather months to really see things.

Take a look back at Greg's same sharpshooter post. His now rock photo was taken with high weed growth. The NPS has cleaned brush up in that area. Scroll down and look at my March '16 photo of that rock. That rock is completely exposed showing it in its full glory.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to last years CWT Gettysburg's gathering. I would love to spend time on the battlefield with the experts found here. Hopefully I can attend a future gathering. I hope that one day a March or November CWT gathering could be made so people could see Gettysburg without its summer bloom.

I live 140 miles west of Gettysburg so it is an easy day trip for me. I would be glad to meet people on the battlefield anytime the schedules allow. Long rambling post, sorry, but I am retired.

I would like to join you sometime when you talk about Benner's Ridge down to Spangler's Spring. And the fence post "extra" Billy thought were soldiers.

I had an ancestor there. Next time I'm there I'm going to spend a lot more time at Culps Hill and vicinity, now that I know more about the order of battle.

K
It does appear that Greg's photos are taken in the summer. But as I stated above, summer brings weeds, brush and leaves which obscures the sight lines. The NPS has removed trees and brush which helps a lot but you need the cold weather months to really see things.

Take a look back at Greg's same sharpshooter post. His now rock photo was taken with high weed growth. The NPS has cleaned brush up in that area. Scroll down and look at my March '16 photo of that rock. That rock is completely exposed showing it in its full glory.

Just curious, Wallyfish.....I would think that people would rather see the battlefield in the summer because the event took place then. Wouldn't it be important to see the views and sight lines the way that the soldiers did? I understand that in 1863, the trees were younger and more thinned out, but wouldn't the views of winter be misleading in some respects?

Just curious, Wallyfish.....I would think that people would rather see the battlefield in the summer because the event took place then. Wouldn't it be important to see the views and sight lines the way that the soldiers did? I understand that in 1863, the trees were younger and more thinned out, but wouldn't the views of winter be misleading in some respects?

I think it is imperative to see the battlefield in all seasons. Each season brings a different look to Gettysburg along with Pro's and Cons to the vistas of the battlefield. Despite all the battlefield restoration efforts on the NPS we will never be able to recreate the battlefield that those who fought there saw it.

Gettysburg is beautiful in the summer and it will always be the closest to what the soldiers saw. Seeing and walking it in the summer is thrilling. For instance, my wife and I did the Scott Hartwig 13th Vermont battlewalk I think on the 142 anniversary. That regiment wheeled out to flank the rebels during PPT charge. When we wheeled out as they did, we were walking in waist deep weeds. I am sure our vantage was pretty close to what the 13Vermont saw, but wading through the weeds and being reminded to check for ticks every 5 minutes is a bit of a pain despite being historically correct. Now if you do that same walk in the winter, you don't have to deal with the high summer growth.

The Wheatfield typically has a mowed path in the middle of the field during the summer. But in March, the dead weeds have been knocked down and you can walk the entire Wheatfield. While not historically accurate, it is more thrilling to me seeing the Wheatfield without summer growth.

If you are a rock fan, it is much easier to find and get to the rocks in the winter. Culp's Hill is very difficult to venture off path in the summer. Brush and thorny bushes make it very difficult to walk off path. Winter allows much freer access.

You get my point. Gettysburg must be seen in every season. Each season brings a unique perspective to the battlefield. Unfortunately too many people only experience Gettysburg in the summer. While I am not a chamber of commerce member, I certainly encourage people to visit Gettysburg. There is no bad season for a visit.

Last edited:
Back