South Carolina: Civil War photos capture soldiers, dead and alive

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
South Carolina: Civil War photos capture soldiers, dead and alive

By Mary Forgione, Los Angeles Times Daily Deal and Travel Blogger
October 1, 2013, 7:45 a.m.

The above image, called an ambrotype, is part of a museum exhibition that just opened in Charleston, S.C., called "Photography and the American Civil War." The process, which uses a glass plate, captured Confederate Army Capt. Charles Hawkins, left, and his brother, John, around 1861 or '62.

For the rest: http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals...-civil-war-portraits-20130930,0,5386606.story

The brothers, one a Captain and the other an enlisted man (sergeant?), reminded me of my Dad's experience.

He was pulled out of college during the Korean War (he was attending there on the GI Bill from his prior service), and given butternut bars and engineer's castles. Hee spent the first six months or so at Fort Benning. His younger brother was also there, but it was hard to communicate and arrange to get together. Finally they both managed to get passes off base where they met. While having lunch, they were accosted by a couple of MP's, who promptly began writing them up for "fraternization". The MP's were immune to their protests that "But he's my brother!".

Family arrangements were much closer in the Civil War.

Reactions: Lee
Back