DSCN0806.JPG

DSCN0810.JPG

21st ave

DSCN0812.JPG

DSCN0821.JPG

Another picture of Granny white pike-Battle of barricades

DSCN0800.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
We're supposed to get better weather tomorrow, but for Nashville, snow and really cold temps are rare. Love the pics!
Sadly, though, there was a lot of suffering leading up to the battle due to the cold, ice and snow. Sam Watkins describes it very poetically in his memoirs. Hood ordered no fires be built because the Confederates were camped within range of the guns of Fort Negley.

In an ironic twist, Edmund Winchester Rucker is buried in Oak Hills Cemetery in Birmingham, Alabama just below the GAR section. Also, Fort Rucker (where the military trains it's helicopter pilots) is named after him.

Readers kept telling me how funny they thought the name was I made up for a road - Granny White. I finally made a post about the history of the road. I can tell that was this weekend. :wink:

A nice way to get a look at the Nashville battlefield is driving through Edwin Warner Park. The hills offer a view of the southern part of Nashville and downtown. Hood anchored his left flank at the park. I believe there is a memorial marker there, it has been 40 years since I have seen Music City.

Thanks for the great thread. I have seen a few things around Nashville. I tend to concentrate on Franklin. Thanks @roger1961. I have done the Nashville/Franklin Military show for many years, I drive through the areas, not much time to stop.

You have as much snow as we do!

Thanks for the pictures, still haven't made it to the Nashville battlefield yet. Thanks for sharing! :smile:

Back