Soldiers who died in Cassville, Georgia Hospitals during the war.

your pix are sideways because all pix are stored that way (that was the same with analog cameras, btw) you have to turn them 90° (contextmenue in your folder) after copying them to your computer and before uploading them here

Last edited:
20161001_105419.jpg

20161001_105627.jpg

1. go to folder where your pictures are
2. set display to medium icons (or somesuch*)
3. rightclick 'wrong' pix -> select turn 90° (or somesuch*) until the direction is okay
4. upload

you don't need to do that with a smartphone or tablet as this has a motion sensor, whereas your computer or civilwartalk's server has not
---

* my windows is german

Last edited:
#3 on your list
SgtT . Frances M. Bailey Co. E, 60th N. C., died Oct. 6, 1863

Enlisted May 17, 1862 in Asheville, NC, enrolled by McDowell. Born Buncombe County, NC, farmer, age not listed. He mustered in August 1 at Camp Smith for 3 years or the war.

Other name variations are FM Bailey, FM Baily, Fras. M Bayly, and Francis M Bailey. Spelling never appears as Frances. Francis M Bailey seems the most likely spelling given everything that I saw.

Co. B 60th NC appears at the top of most of his paperwork, with the Co E info listed below.

Died at Flewellan Hospital, Cassville, Georgia on Oct 6, 1863. A claim was paid to Jonathan Baily, fa (father?) in the amount of $58.15 on Jan 11, 1865.

He is recognized for his courage as a color-bearer at Stone's River in the in a letter dated Jan 11, 1863.
https://books.google.com/books?id=g...PAhWESiYKHViHD48Q6AEIKjAD#v=onepage&q&f=false

ReportofColJosephAMcDowell_11Jan1863_p820.JPG

There is also a listing for a Francis M Bailey who looks like he easily could be the same person: Age 26, a resident of Buncombe County NC. He enlisted at Buncombe County in Company E, North Carolina 1st Infantry Regiment for a 6 month term on 23 Apr 1861. Mustered out on 12 Nov 1861. Promoted to Full Sergeant. Co E 1st Infantry was The Buncombe Riflemen, also organized by Capt. McDowell.

#4 Captain John W. Bell Co. H, 32nd Ala., died Feb. 14, 1864

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=47027360&ref=acom

Some letters from Captain John W Bell have survived: http://lib.lsu.edu/special/manuscripts/guides/bell-john-w-captain

"Bell, John W., Captain. Papers, 1862-1864. 3 items. 1 vol. Location: Misc:B. Captain in the 32nd Alabama Infantry who served in Alabama and Tennessee during the Civil War. He was married to Nancy Bell of Coffeeville, Clarke County, Alabama. Letters to Nancy written from Camp Forney, Alabama, and Lavergne, Tennessee, discuss monetary concerns of the soldiers. Also described are local economic conditions, women searching for food for their children, and women who worked as laundresses. Included is a notebook listing personal items and expenses of John W. Bell. Available on microfilm 5735: University Publications of America Confederate Military Manuscripts Series B, Reel 2. For further information, see online catalog. Mss. 771."

Daniel Clowers and Jacob Clowers were father and son from Floyd County Virginia. They died at Cassville about a year apart. Widow pension applications indicate both died of chronic diarrhea.

Daniel Clowers Co. I, 54th Va., died Oct. 28, 1862
Daniel was born VA about 1812, married Margaret/Peggy Greff or Gredd 22 Nov 1830 in Montgomery VA.

Jacob Clowers Co. I, 54th Va., died Nov. 16, 1863.
Jacob Clowers, born about 1836 VA to Daniel Clowers and Margaret/Peggy Clowers. Married Nancy Boswell 13 July 1853.

The name appears as Clowers in the military records, but records occasionally appear as Clower, especially later records. The information about the family that I checked lines up with family info here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~barbr/clower.htm

There were three other Clowers in the rolls of the 54th Virginia. James T Clowers, 1st Sgt. Co I, William L Clowers, Co A, and William Thomas Clowers, Co C. I think the William's are the same person and Jacob, James, and William were first cousins. The pension application for Jacob's widow indicated that William L or T Clowers was present at Jacob's death.

DanielClowers_Fold3_Page_2_CMSR.jpg
JacobClowers_Fold3_Page_3_CMSR.jpg

Daniel Clowers and Jacob Clowers were father and son from Floyd County Virginia. They died at Cassville about a year apart. Widow pension applications indicate both died of chronic diarrhea.

Daniel Clowers Co. I, 54th Va., died Oct. 28, 1862
Daniel was born VA about 1812, married Margaret/Peggy Greff or Gredd 22 Nov 1830 in Montgomery VA.

Jacob Clowers Co. I, 54th Va., died Nov. 16, 1863.
Jacob Clowers, born about 1836 VA to Daniel Clowers and Margaret/Peggy Clowers. Married Nancy Boswell 13 July 1853.

The name appears as Clowers in the military records, but records occasionally appear as Clower, especially later records. The information about the family that I checked lines up with family info here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~barbr/clower.htm

There were three other Clowers in the rolls of the 54th Virginia. James T Clowers, 1st Sgt. Co I, William L Clowers, Co A, and William Thomas Clowers, Co C. I think the William's are the same person and Jacob, James, and William were first cousins. The pension application for Jacob's widow indicated that William L or T Clowers was present at Jacob's death.

View attachment 113038 View attachment 113039
Thank you

I just heard from a friend named Bradley Quinlin about records at the University of Texas from Samuel Hollingsworth Stout about the Cassville and Kingston Hospitals. I want to schedule a trip but got to save a lityle. It's 967 miles one way and depends on if I can stay with a friend.

I just heard from a friend named Bradley Quinlin about records at the University of Texas from Samuel Hollingsworth Stout about the Cassville and Kingston Hospitals. I want to schedule a trip but got to save a lityle. It's 967 miles one way and depends on if I can stay with a friend.
The records include ALL the Army of TN Hospitals.....including the Bragg Hospital at Cherokee Springs, Newnan, Americus, Fort Valley, etc. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I am not sure where Bradley is from but he took care of the soldiers in both the Marietta Federal and Confederate cemetery. He is a writer and a great speaker. He said the Big Chicken was a monument to the last chicken captured in Marietta, GA.

I can afford trip to Texas but don't have the funds yet for a hotel stay. Trying to figure something out. I am mainly going after the Bartow County records

Waid H. Collier Co. A, 30th Miss., killed in 1864

My Gr-Grandfather served in 30 Mississippi Regiment, Company A, Neill's Guards. So I have a history of the regiment and a roster of several of the companies. Company A was raised out of Black Hawk, Carroll County, Miss.
I have a roster of Company but I have his name as "William". This seems to be an error in my source.
I checked FOLD3 and confirmed that his name was Waid H. Collier and he did die at Cassville. He enlisted at Black Hawk under Col. Neil. I'm trying to recall if I know any more info about this Collier family. We have researched my Cole family during their stay in Black Hawk and I'm sure I have run across that name in civilian records.
What other info would you like to know?

Link to my Roster: http://custermen.com/DixieBoys/Miss30Rost.htm

Also, I think you have a transcription error with this name:
John J. Hill Co. B, 3Qth Ala., died Feb. 4(25), 1864.

Edited to add:

I searched 1860 Census for Carroll County and did not find any COLLIER living there. That was odd. I searched the nearby counties for Waid Collier or similar name. Nothing.

But the MS Gen site listed the following marriage records:

Marriage Records for Carroll County, MS

Collier, Mary - Browning, William - 27 Feb 1859
Collier, Sarah - Mann, J. W. - 18 Jan 1877
Collier, W. N. - Word, Mary A. - 23 Aug 1860
Collier, William G. - King, Mary, Mrs. - 25 Sep 1844

Last edited:
Back