Soldiers of the Second New Hampshire...at Gettysburg

relichound

Corporal
Maryland...'bout 55 miles south of Gettysburg.
IMG_2338 (2).JPG

On left is Enoch Jackman, of the Second New Hampshire who was wounded in the heavy fighting
at Gettysburg on July 2, 1863. Later he was an officer in a USCT regiment when this photo was
taken, and was also wounded at the 1864 battle of New Market Heights. He was fortunate that
neither wound was serious.

On the right is L.P. Adley also of the Second New Hampshire who also later became an officer
in another USCT regiment. During the war he was twice wounded severely, and also twice
promoted for bravery. I am not certain from the records I saw where in Virginia he was wounded.

This regiment fought in the Peach Orchard battle and suffered many casualties, to say the least.

I have collected CW CDV photos for many years and I used to work in a medical unit for a number
of doctors, and my favorite was a great guy, and friend who for many years was also a Civil War buff,
but not a collector. One day I was showing him some CW CDV photos and all of a sudden he
told me that he "got it". He understood why we like them so much. "They are just like baseball cards."
he told me. Well, they are like baseball cards, but they are much less numerous, and much more
historical...to begin with! These two in my collection are photographed on top of a copy of the 2nd
New Hampshire regimental history.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 61845
On left is Enoch Jackman, of the Second New Hampshire who was wounded in the heavy fighting
at Gettysburg on July 2, 1863. Later he was an officer in a USCT regiment when this photo was
taken, and was also wounded at the 1864 battle of New Market Heights. He was fortunate that
neither wound was serious.

On the right is L.P. Adley also of the Second New Hampshire who also later became an officer
in another USCT regiment. During the war he was twice wounded severely, and also twice
promoted for bravery. I am not certain from the records I saw where in Virginia he was wounded.

This regiment fought in the Peach Orchard battle and suffered many casualties, to say the least.

I have collected CW CDV photos for many years and I used to work in a medical unit for a number
of doctors, and my favorite was a great guy, and friend who for many years was also a Civil War buff,
but not a collector. One day I was showing him some CW CDV photos and all of a sudden he
told me that he "got it". He understood why we like them so much. "They are just like baseball cards."
he told me. Well, they are like baseball cards, but they are much less numerous, and much more
historical...to begin with! These two in my collection are photographed on top of a copy of the 2nd
New Hampshire regimental history.

Enoch F. Jackman
1st Lieutenant Company C 6th Infantry US CT from 9/26/1863 until discharged 11/23/1864.

Lorenzo P. Adley 1st lieutenant Company A 22nd US CT 1/28/1864. Promoted to Captain 10/1/1865. Discharged 11/20/1865.

From Fold3.com, MSR:
jackman1.png
This is under "Miscellaneous" files -- all of the 6th USCI MSRs between 'Ho-' and 'Jo-' seem to be missing in Fold3.

Lorenzo Adley, 22nd USCI, served on detached duty with the XXV Corps Company of Sharpshooters:
adley4.png

adley3.png

adley2.jpg

Adley's MSR file has 32 pages, these are just a couple of samples.

The 2nd New Hampshire MSRs are not yet online.

Last edited:
Back