Should Statues of Confederate Officers be in the US Capitol?

Long as you don't switch your tail and hit me in the eye. :smile:

Yes ma'am.

Secured saber...err tail ma'am. :sabre: :whip: --Single tail is a term for a whip, which has one cracker/popper. One is shown in Wilber6150's Photograph thread.

M. E. Wolf

UnionBlue--
After the war, these men and their states, were welcomed back with open arms and with the respect and admiration given brave advisaries.
Ummm....that is not the whole entire truth.
I don't think the Southern people felt like they were welcomed back with respect and admiration.

Your opinion,

Not mine.

I guess to me it would have to matter on what the theme of the area that the statues would be located in, and do the statues accurately portray that states contribution to what ever that theme was... Are we talking about random statues around the Capitol or are they located in one area.. I mean it would be in bad taste and not make sense to put a Confederate statue in a area set aside for a civil rights themed area, but would make sense in a area related to the war...

In the US Capitol in what is known as Statuary Hall are 100 statues donated by the 50 states (two each). Among them are statues of Joseph Wheeler, Edmund Kirby Smith, Wade Hampton, James Zachariah George, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis. Should we honor in the US Capitol men who, regardless of their individual merit

Sure. OK, maybe not Kirby Smith.

would have burned the Capitol down if they could? The selection of these men by their states for their inclusion in the US Capitol seems to be inappropriate. Isn't what these states did tantamount to the US government requiring Georgia to place a monument of General Sherman in their capitol building?
I assume the state legislatures were requested to come up with two statues apiece. If this is what they came up with, then this is what they came up with. If somebody doesn't like it, oh well. I bet you could find something objectionable about every single person commemorated by a statue in that place.

Reminds me of when the Dallas city council polled people to come up with somebody famous that we could rename Industrial Blvd. after. The vote-winner was Cesar Chavez. City council then decided they don't like that outcome, so they renamed it Riverside or Riverfront or some dang thing I can never remember (everyone still calls it Industrial). This touched off a huge firestorm of nervous breakdowns in which people began to DEMAND that SOME STREET, SOMEWHERE in the city be renamed for Chavez -- despite the fact that he had virtually nothing to do with Texas, let alone Dallas. (I voted for Juan Seguin!) At the time, I wondered, why the heck did the CC request this vote if they were totally unwilling to abide by the results? These statues are the same exact situation. Input was asked for, and was given.

Eventually Chavez got the street-level part of I-75 downtown renamed for him, and the sun came up the next morning.

If I was in charge of Virginia, I would tear down the statues of Lee, Davis,, Stuart and Jackson that are on Monument Ave and replace them with George Thomas, Winfield Scott, Sam Lee and Francis Pierpont.
Well, thank God you aren't in charge, then. (WhoTF is Francis Pierpont?)

I'm watching ...still

And will do so as this seems to be a thread that easily jumps into unkind remarks too easily.

M. E. Wolf
POSTED IN THE CAPACITY OF MODERATOR

I guess to me it would have to matter on what the theme of the area that the statues would be located in, and do the statues accurately portray that states contribution to what ever that theme was... Are we talking about random statues around the Capitol or are they located in one area.. I mean it would be in bad taste and not make sense to put a Confederate statue in a area set aside for a civil rights themed area, but would make sense in a area related to the war...

They are located in statuary hall on the house side of the capitol, kinda bunched up

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]Francis Harrison Pierpont
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

Born in Virginia on January 25, 1814, Pierpont was linked with its history for the rest of his life. He grew up in western Virginia, in what is today Marion County, West Virginia, graduated from Allegheny College, and was admitted to the bar in 1841. In 1848 he became the local attorney for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
An active supporter of Lincoln, Pierpont became more involved in politics with the outbreak of the Civil War. When Virginia seceded, he organized a convention of Unionists, which declared that their elected officials had abandoned their posts and elected Pierpont provisional governor of Virginia. A legislature was set up, a new constitution was drafted, and representatives were seated in the Federal Congress. The state adopted the name West Virginia and was admitted into the Union in 1863. When a new governor was elected for West Virginia, Pierpont became governor of the "restored" state of Virginia, those counties occupied by Union troops. The capital, originally in Alexandria, moved in 1865 to Richmond, where Pierpont became governor of the whole state of Virginia.
After he was replaced by a military commander in 1868, Pierpont returned to his law practice in West Virginia. He served one term in the state legislature in 1870 and was collector of Internal Revenue under President Garfield. He died 18 years later in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on March 24, 1899.
[/FONT]

Ok...now, taking this thread about statues --

Question is -- how would you (in a general sense) feel about a State/Commonwealth demanding you place a statue of their choosing in your home state/commonwealth's capitol?

I like to see how the change from Federal Level to State/Commonwealth level changes or not, the feelings of placement of statues by other's demands, in the poster's capitol.

M. E. Wolf
Are you talking about another state demanding that we place a statue of some guy from their state in our capitol? Why would they do that, and who might it be? For me, it would depend on who it was.

Are you talking about another state demanding that we place a statue of some guy from their state in our capitol? Why would they do that, and who might it be? For me, it would depend on who it was.

I was using that situation much earlier in the thread when it was flowing quite nicely, switching from Federal to a state level, as to discuss feelings on placement of statues.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]Francis Harrison Pierpont
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

Born in Virginia on January 25, 1814, Pierpont was linked with its history for the rest of his life. He grew up in western Virginia, in what is today Marion County, West Virginia, graduated from Allegheny College, and was admitted to the bar in 1841. In 1848 he became the local attorney for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
An active supporter of Lincoln, Pierpont became more involved in politics with the outbreak of the Civil War. When Virginia seceded, he organized a convention of Unionists, which declared that their elected officials had abandoned their posts and elected Pierpont provisional governor of Virginia. A legislature was set up, a new constitution was drafted, and representatives were seated in the Federal Congress. The state adopted the name West Virginia and was admitted into the Union in 1863. When a new governor was elected for West Virginia, Pierpont became governor of the "restored" state of Virginia, those counties occupied by Union troops. The capital, originally in Alexandria, moved in 1865 to Richmond, where Pierpont became governor of the whole state of Virginia.
After he was replaced by a military commander in 1868, Pierpont returned to his law practice in West Virginia. He served one term in the state legislature in 1870 and was collector of Internal Revenue under President Garfield. He died 18 years later in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on March 24, 1899.
[/FONT]
Seems like any statue of this guy would belong in Charleston, not Richmond.

Do you have any idea whoTF Francis Pierpont is?

West Virginia has two statues in the National Statuary Hall, representing Francis H. Pierpoint and John Kenna. Pierpoint is called the "Father of West Virginia", but I think his statue was sent to Washington so it wouldn't end up in West Virginia. He is totally undeserving of any memorial. He was also the transitional Governor of Virginia at the end of the war. There is a story that Henry Wise visited Pierpoint in Richmond, and Wise complained to Pierpoint that when he went to reoccupy his home he found his former slaves living there. Pierpoint burst out laughing, and after a few seconds Wise joined him. In any event, once Pierpoint was kicked out of Virginia he came to West Virginia and was a member of the House of Delegates, until West Virginians got the vote back and they threw him out.

John Kenna was a 16 yo volunteer from Kanawha County and enlisted in Joe Shelby's Iron Brigage. He became a Congressman and Senator from WV. And unlike Peirpoint, he did not send hundreds, if not thousands, of West Virginians into prison camps.

I was using that situation much earlier in the thread when it was flowing quite nicely, switching from Federal to a state level, as to discuss feelings on placement of statues.
Well, I noticed nobody really answered it, so I'd still have to say it would depend on who it was. Maybe the Chavez analogy isn't a bad one. He was not from Texas and people did demand that we name something after him, though at least the people doing the demanding were Texans. Had they been Californians, that might have come across differently.

West Virginia has two statues in the National Statuary Hall, representing Francis H. Pierpoint and John Kenna. Pierpoint is called the "Father of West Virginia", but I think his statue was sent to Washington so it wouldn't end up in West Virginia. He is totally undeserving of any memorial. He was also the transitional Governor of Virginia at the end of the war. There is a story that Henry Wise visited Pierpoint in Richmond, and Wise complained to Pierpoint that when he went to reoccupy his home he found his former slaves living there. Pierpoint burst out laughing, and after a few seconds Wise joined him. In any event, once Pierpoint was kicked out of Virginia he came to West Virginia and was a member of the House of Delegates, until West Virginians got the vote back and they threw him out.

John Kenna was a 16 yo volunteer from Kanawha County and enlisted in Joe Shelby's Iron Brigage. He became a Congressman and Senator from WV. And unlike Peirpoint, he did not send hundreds, if not thousands, of West Virginians into prison camps.
Ha, so not even Charleston wants Pierpont...

Back