Shot gun with bayonet

Here is something I'd like to share. It's a double barrel shot gun fit with an altered socket bayonet. I just finished it. It's built in the theme of shot guns fit up in the south for military service. The latch mechanism is my own design; but, if I could think this up, I'm sure some southern artificer did back then, too. As well as the bayonet it has an iron swell tip rammer and sling swivels. I also trimmed up the stock and refinished it. The barrels were then polished after brazing on the bayonet lug. There are many accounts of southern units using double barrel shot guns fitted with bayonets.
upload_2016-4-5_21-1-39.png
upload_2016-4-5_21-2-10.png
upload_2016-4-5_21-2-38.png
upload_2016-4-5_21-3-18.png
upload_2016-4-5_21-3-46.png

Very nice! Lodgewood sold one practically identical to this a while back. Did you make that one as well?

Unless my eyes deceive me, that is a P1853 bayonet. Am I right? Personally, I think that a M1816 or M1842 bayonet would be more appropriate.

Keep up the good work,
Garrett

Personally I'd like to see a double-barreled shotgun have two bayonets, if for no other reason than the hardcore intimidation factor of the weapon, :devil:

On a serious note, incredible work! That's awesome stuff.

Interesting work
Please tell us more about the shotgun. Did you make it?

I don't think you did this. Your shop is way too clean. Lol

Seriously, very nice

I like it so much, i want one!
Do you make things for resale or do you tinker for your self?

This is the second d.b.s. I've rebuilt and fit for a bayonet. So far I've used an 1842 and an Enfield bayonet but I think most any one would work. They have to be cut, welded and reshaped so it may not matter as long as its good steel. These past 6 years have been spent mostly on civil war guns doing detail builds on Confederate firearms using modern repros as a foundation. The previous 40 years were spent building contemporary muzzle loaders (1500-1850). Dave at Lodgewood has kindly allowed some of my work to go through his shop. The shot guns have been especially cool to work on. I plan on doing more - its just a matter of getting them in good working condition and at a reasonable price. The anvil is a Vanadium Steel 70. It was my father-in-laws. He used it to shoe horses and fix plows.

Back