Shame on Stephen Ambrose for ripping off Grant

KansasFreestater

1st Lieutenant
I was in a used-book store yesterday and Stephen Ambrose's last book, To America, caught my eye. His books have been recommended by many people, so I was curious. As I leafed through it, I landed on a page in his chapter on Grant. Imagine my dismay when I found one of Grant's best quotes, altered by a word or two, presented as Ambrose's own words. No quotation marks, no attribution to Grant. I had been ready to plunk down my money and buy the book until I discovered that dirty little trick.

I knew that Ambrose got nailed numerous times for plagiarism, but there was something about seeing it right there in front of my face -- especially since the victim here was Grant, who has been cheated for so long, by so many, from his rightful place.... Yeah, I take it personally. I was ticked.

The original quote from Grant, characterizing the Confederacy:

"...that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse."
Several months ago, I took advantage of a sale special and downloaded a Kindle book by Ambrose on Crazy Horse and Custer, because those two men are fascinating individuals and supposedly Ambrose is a great storyteller. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, and now I'm wondering if I even should invest the time in doing so. I can't help wondering how trustworthy it is. Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited:
I was in a used-book store yesterday and Stephen Ambrose's last book, To America, caught my eye. His books have been recommended by many people, so I was curious. As I leafed through it, I landed on a page in his chapter on Grant. Imagine my dismay when I found one of Grant's best quotes, altered by a word or two, presented as Ambrose's own words. No quotation marks, no attribution to Grant. I had been ready to plunk down my money and buy the book until I discovered that dirty little trick.

I knew that Ambrose got nailed numerous times for plagiarism, but there was something about seeing it right there in front of my face -- especially since the victim here was Grant, who has been cheated for so long, by so many, from his rightful place.... Yeah, I take it personally. I was ticked.

The original quote from Grant, characterizing the Confederacy:

"...that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse."
Several months ago, I took advantage of a sale special and downloaded a Kindle book by Ambrose on Crazy Horse and Custer, because those two men are fascinating individuals and supposedly Ambrose is a great storyteller. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, and now I'm wondering if I even should invest the time in doing so. I can't help wondering how trustworthy it is. Thoughts, anyone?

Well, the first sign of problems with that chapter was that he referenced Geoffrey Perret. :yellowcarded:

It gets worse. There is reason to believe that Ambrose lied about doing interviews with Ike, work that cemented his career as an historian and was the foundation of so much that he did after. It's a ad, sad mess.

It gets worse. There is reason to believe that Ambrose lied about doing interviews with Ike, work that cemented his career as an historian and was the foundation of so much that he did after. It's a ad, sad mess.
There's more than reason to believe. Ike's appointment books do not show Ambrose visiting on many of the dates he was alleged to have conducted interviews. Ike and he staff were pretty good about those records. It's sad because he told some important stories and now those are compromised.

Mr. Ambrose has a stretch of interstate highway named in his honor. Was he great?He is in the same league with Brian Williams.
In his WWII books he made several errors describing the German Tiger tank. He also referred to the U.S. Army Air Corps as the U. S. Air Force in WWII.

I knew that Ambrose got nailed numerous times for plagiarism
Ike's appointment books do not show Ambrose visiting on many of the dates he was alleged to have conducted interviews.

Ok. I always thought I was a reader. But you guys read about the folks who write the books.

Back