1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Settle this... Between Stuart and Forrest

Discussion in 'Soldiers who fought on Horseback: Cavalry' started by gunny, Jan 10, 2017.

?

Who was the better cavalry commander?

1. Stuart

2. Forrest

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gunny

gunny First Sergeant

So who would you rather fight under. That equates to who was the better commander.

Drew and War Horse like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. 1NCCAV

1NCCAV Private

Under Stuart, in Hampton's brigade, with the 1st North Carolina Cavalry.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    gunny likes this.
  4. War Horse

War Horse 1st Lieutenant Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

Why didn't I think of that! Lol

5. Drew

Drew Captain

I voted and would rather have road around McLellan's Army than whipped Sherman's supply lines.

Now, both are important, but in terms of sheer fun, I'm with Stuart.

6. Stony

Stony 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

I would rather ride with Forrest.

Reb and gunny like this.
  7. Desert Kid

Desert Kid Sergeant Major

"NO D*MNED MAN KILLS ME AND LIVES!"

Yeeeaah, I think Forrest just out of sheer ferocity.

8. diane

diane Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

:unsure: Gosh...gee...I dunno...I'm going to have to really, really think about this... :laugh:

Trouble is, either one would work for me - they were two deadly efficient, very effective cavalrymen and both were solid Southern nationalists. Can't hardly beat a guy who is a true believer! Forrest was the Grim Reaper, all business but Stuart had some really funny moments. I can't quite picture Forrest giving a scout a boost to an open window in an abandoned farm house because he saw pies and fresh buttermilk inside. He'd head for the smokehouse and see what they left there...grab what you can tote, boys!

9. kevikens

kevikens Sergeant Major

This depends on what one wants the mounted arm to do. If reconnaissance is what one is after, Stuart is the better commander because in Lee's own words Stuart never brought him a piece of false information. If on the other hand one wants the mounted arm to tear up the countryside Forest is your man.

10. War Horse

War Horse 1st Lieutenant Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2016 Member of the Year

Let's remember the true function of Cavalry. Forrest was a Dragoon and a very good one.

Bee likes this.
  11. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com First Sergeant Forum Host

No contest only for these reasons, NBF's command stayed mostly in the South and I would have been close to home, in the O club every night and home on weekends.

FORREST-002.jpg

12. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com First Sergeant Forum Host

NBF was a fighter and VERY good at it.

Reb, Stony and Desert Kid like this.
  13. War Horse

No question about it. He was independent and very creative. I love Forrest. Are we talking Cavalry or a better fighter. In either case I'm not sure one was better than the other. They were so different it's almost unfair to compare them.

uaskme likes this.
  14. gunny

gunny First Sergeant

Commanders help win wars. Who was more effective?

15. Eric Wittenberg

Eric Wittenberg Sergeant Major Forum Host

This is easy. It's a one person race since Forrest was not a cavalryman.

16. War Horse

What He said :smile:

Bee likes this.
  17. gunny

gunny First Sergeant

We have to. They both led men on horseback. That's what this forum is about. So...?

18. War Horse

As you are well aware there is a big difference between a Dragoon and the Light Cavalry that developed during the ACW.

19. gunny

gunny First Sergeant

I hear you, but we could technically break this down into many sub forums. I.e. Who was the best raider, who was the best mounted leader, who was the best reconnaissance leader, who was best attacker on opposing cavalry units, who was the best attacking infantry units. The bottom line is who led men on horseback that was more effective?

Stony likes this.
  20. War Horse

Or we could break it down to it's true forum. Who was the best Cavalry commander. I believe that Encompass's all the above! Does it not?

gunny likes this.
  21. gunny

gunny First Sergeant

I don't know of any cavalry on the southern side that was exclusive to horseback or dismounting and fighting on foot.

War Horse likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)