1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

setting up a shelter tent with only one half

Discussion in 'Reenactors Forum' started by GAvolunteer, Jan 31, 2012.

1. GAvolunteer

GAvolunteer Corporal

setting up a shelter tent with only one half-- can this be done
    has it been done
    if yes to all questions then how can it be done

thank you for you responces

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Pvt.A.Wells

Pvt.A.Wells Sergeant

Sure it can. Called a lean to.

S.D.Swart

4. GAvolunteer

GAvolunteer Corporal

thanks for the info- now for the how part

5. unicornforge

unicornforge First Sergeant

It depends partly are you doing Federal or Confederate? Do you have other materials at hand such as straw, brush or blankets, or oil cloths?

I have used a single shelter half as a lean-to in rather cold weather once. It was better than nothing. Unfortunately, the group that I was with was training and set up in a water-logged field in Manassas, VAand water was soaking through my ground cloth. A lean-to is two sticks holding up each end and some rope and tent stakes.

also,

"Ill-supplied Confederates, always in want of tents, utilized every piece of canvas seized from the enemy. Southerners came to rely on homemade shelters known as "shebangs." Built with whatever material was available, a shebang could be erected in one day by four men and a single axe. Two wooden forks were imbedded in the ground; a ridgepole was placed on the forks; barns and fences provided most of the siding, with heavy wooden posts used for the frame and thinner boards for the siding. If wood was not available to cover the frame, Johnny Rebs resorted to bushes, "Blankets, oil clothes, or anything else which could be made available to protect from the weather". Naturally, the quality of these huts depended on the skill of the builders. The finished structures housed three to four men and, in spited of their appearance, were generally pronounced "very comfortable in warm weather." page 46, book titled "Soldiers Blue and Gray" by James I. Robertson, Jr.

6. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

Why set it up? Lay it on the ground, blanket and ground cloth on top. I've slept quite comfortably that way many a time.

7. GAvolunteer

GAvolunteer Corporal

so it is bacically just setting up a pup tent without the other half- bacically half the tent errected with the poles positioned like : Y --- Y and the cloth on one side

8. Pvt.A.Wells

Pvt.A.Wells Sergeant

Yep, just stake down one side, erect with two Y poles and one main pole, and tie with ropes away from the tent to keep it erect and tawnt. If the weather is good, as mentioned, just lay on the ground toss your ground cloth or poncho on top, then your blanket and crawl in. You will be warm and dry.

S.D.Swart

9. Poor Private

Poor Private First Sergeant

I have a tarp that I use occasionaly for my tent. I stencil on one corner "5th Corp Baggage" . I let it runn of of the corner to give the appearance of it being a piece of a covered wagon tarp/canvas so it accutaly says "5th COR BAGG". I use it in many ways. It is a 7'x7' piece. I make a lean-to with 2 Y shaped sitcks, a diamond shape with only 1 pointy stick, I have used it as a tarp to cover suppiles. And even as as bed roll (lay it on the ground toss my blankie on it thenm lay on the blankie and pull 1/2 the tarp and blanket over the top of me, nice and snug on a cool night. I can roll the whole thing up in a nice compact size so that the tarp, and stakes all fit in one of those canvas water buckets, easy to carry, and the canvas buck is filled with water for use as a fire tender.

10. GAvolunteer

GAvolunteer Corporal

well
    thanks for all you help
    hay cool we didnt argue

11. Republican Blues

Republican Blues Sergeant Major

12. GAvolunteer

GAvolunteer Corporal

13. Pvt.A.Wells

Pvt.A.Wells Sergeant

None. They used what they could fine.

14. GAvolunteer

GAvolunteer Corporal

so why do all the reenactors use stakes rather then something more authentic (sticks or perhaps bent up silverwere)

15. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

Authenticity vs convenience... there is far more canvas in a typical CS re-enactors camp than ever graced the CS Army, especially all of the wall & wedge tents.

16. Pvt.A.Wells

Pvt.A.Wells Sergeant

Johan is correct. A simple oil cloth would be about all a soldier would have. That said, I have my tent, this older fellow likes a little confort. I leave the authenic camps to those grand fellow campaigners. Been there done that in my youth. I think every reenactor should at one time or another do some campaigning. Really opens your eyes up to just a small measure of what the average soldier endured. Those were some salty fellows.

S.D.Swart

johan_steele likes this.
  17. Republican Blues

Not quite correct, the shelter half did come with a pole, and pins. The pole was a jointed affair, not unlike the pole that used to come with the modern army shelter half. The pins were very much like pins used during WWII, as the QM specs hadnt changed much. Nick Sekela carries repros of both the pin and the pole.

http://www.njsekela.com/OSCommerce/...ucts_id=210&osCsid=3bro6b3qa29dnhqnt876m24er6

http://www.njsekela.com/OSCommerce/...ucts_id=432&osCsid=3bro6b3qa29dnhqnt876m24er6

Did they last long in the field? probably not, that or the original cast cast them aside as excess unnecessary weight when they could just get what they needed from the environment.

Docomentation for both the pin and pole are in Gaede's book on the Shelter half

18. Republican Blues

Tin cup likes this.
  19. Pvt.A.Wells

Pvt.A.Wells Sergeant

Thanks Bobby for the super information. I normally do Confederate, but want a good early war Federal impression. This will help. Kudo.

S.D.Swart

20. GAvolunteer

GAvolunteer Corporal

hay cant a person just use two short y poles and one in between and make a mini shelter tent

21. Republican Blues

Youd would be much better served to rig up the lean to type shebang than doing that, I mean, you could do it, but you cutting down the effectiveness (what there is in a shelter half LOL)

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)