Seminary Ridge Museum

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Part I - The Lutheran Seminary Building

050.JPG

I visited the relatively new Seminary Ridge Museum in Gettysburg's old 1850's Lutheran Seminary on a rainy day in August, 2014, and found it to be a welcome and very worthwhile addition to the many attractions relating to the famous battle. Of course it is this building which gives Seminary Ridge on which it stands its name. One important feature of my visit was the opportunity to fully explore the structure itself, including the attic and famous cupola, which was damaged in the last century but restored to its wartime appearance. The visit isn't exactly a cheap one - nearly $20 - and it is possible to see the exhibits only at a lesser price; but somehow the experience wouldn't be complete without it.

036.JPG

The cavernous attic is lighted by two fanlights, one facing east towards town, and this one facing west towards McPherson Ridge. Form the attic a narrow staircase, below, now leads to the cupola; originally only a ladder provided access.

037.JPG

Tradition holds that Brig. Gen. John Buford watched the Confederate deployment from the cupola, and there's even a nineteenth-century engraving showing him and Maj. Gen. John Reynolds both here, but according to our tour guide there's nothing to substantiate these claims. ( Some accounts even have Robert E. Lee here as well on July 1st or 2d! ) Since Reynolds was killed outright soon after the battle began, and Buford died later in the year, neither were able to verify their presence postwar when every little detail of the battle was recorded and subsequently argued over. Supposedly the most that can be said for this claim is that one of Buford's staff definitely climbed up here for a look.

035.JPG

The above view looks north towards Oak Hill, though the wooded knob at right is part of Seminary Ridge; below is the view towards McPherson Ridge, and on the horizon the trees along Herr Ridge.

034.JPG

Part II - The Museum Exhibits

038.JPG

Each of the four floors in the former Seminary is devoted to a particular aspect of the institution and its place within the war and Battle of Gettysburg. The top floor concentrates on the military struggle that occurred on the first day of the battle, using panels and sidebars like those above as well as exhibits of artifacts borrowed from the National Park Service's extensive collection. I was especially glad to see the latter, since the fact so much of the NPS holdings has otherwise disappeared into storage since the opening of the new visitor center.

047.JPG

The first and second floors contain information and artifacts relating to the antebellum population of Adams County, both white and a surprising number of black; the founding of the seminary; and the anti-slavery activities of the seminary's founder and other locals. My favorite portion, however, were the exhibits and life-size dioramas pictured here that relate the building's role as first a field hospital and then a permanent medical facility. The diorama above represents members of the Union's Iron Brigade and others who sought shelter within the building while the battle raged outside.

044.JPG

Another depicts a surgeon at work plying his amputation saw; below are actual amputated limbs and other medical artifacts collected from the battlefield and its hospitals. The lifelike realism of these presumably wax figures inhabiting these tableaus is remarkable, if grisly as is this particular one.

045.JPG

Somewhat happier are these soldiers, most of whom seem on their way to recovery; note the nun feeding one of the unfortunates.

039.JPG

Below is a closer look at the scene above.

042.JPG

The seminary remained a hospital for months following the battle; the scene below depicts the last patient, a regimental lieutenant colonel at left receiving a visit from his wife and family in the days before his eventual release which brought an end to this sad business, allowing the building to revert to its original purpose.

043.JPG

Last edited:
T
Part II - The Museum Exhibits

View attachment 48396
Each of the four floors in the former Seminary is devoted to a particular aspect of the institution and its place within the war and Battle of Gettysburg. The top floor concentrates on the military struggle that occurred on the first day of the battle, using panels and sidebars like those above as well as exhibits of artifacts borrowed from the National Park Service's extensive collection. I was especially glad to see the latter, since the fact so much of the NPS holdings has otherwise disappeared into storage since the opening of the new visitor center.

View attachment 48402

The first and second floors contain information and artifacts relating to the antebellum population of Adams County, both white and a surprising number of black; the founding of the seminary; and the anti-slavery activities of the seminary's founder and other locals. My favorite portion, however, were the exhibits and life-size dioramas pictured here that relate the building's role as first a field hospital and then a permanent medical facility. The diorama above represents members of the Union's Iron Brigade and others who sought shelter within the building while the battle raged outside.

View attachment 48400

Another depicts a surgeon at work plying his amputation saw; below are actual amputated limbs and other medical artifacts collected from the battlefield and its hospitals. The lifelike realism of these presumably wax figures inhabiting these tableaus is remarkable, if grisly as is this particular one.

View attachment 48401

Somewhat happier are these soldiers, most of whom seem on their way to recovery; note the nun feeding one of the unfortunates.

View attachment 48397

Below is a closer look at the scene above.

View attachment 48398

The seminary remained a hospital for months following the battle; the scene below depicts the last patient, a regimental lieutenant colonel at left receiving a visit from his wife and family in the days before his eventual release which brought an end to this sad business, allowing the building to revert to its original purpose.

View attachment 48399
Thanks James, Very interesting. I have been by there but have never stopped. I never see anyone around there either. Looks like it is worth the stop.

Thanks James, Very interesting. I have been by there but have never stopped. I never see anyone around there either. Looks like it is worth the stop.

This was one "complaint" I regestered with the museum staff - there is currently NO signage on the Chambersburg Pike to let anyone know the museum is there or when it's open; it's almost like some "secret" that it exists at all, at least as far as the casual visiting public would know. Things shouldn't be like that either, because it's really well-done and a worthwhile place to visit.

This was one "complaint" I regestered with the museum staff - there is currently NO signage on the Chambersburg Pike to let anyone know the museum is there or when it's open; it's almost like some "secret" that it exists at all, at least as far as the casual visiting public would know. Things shouldn't be like that either, because it's really well-done and a worthwhile place to visit.
I had no idea this museum was there, even though I have driven through the seminary on several occasions. next visit, I will seek it out!

Does the Adams County Historical Society run this museum?

I believe it's run by the Lutheran Seminary, largely because so much of the first two floors is dedicated to it and its history; it probably received different kinds of financial support for its conversion into the museum though. I object to having to pay an entrance fee to get into the *new* ( to me at least ) non-NPS Visitor Center operated by the so-called Gettysburg Foundation ( a big reason it was deliberately skipped this time around ), but I feel no similar qualms here - besides, it allowed me to see something I'd never seen before.

I believe it's run by the Lutheran Seminary, largely because so much of the first two floors is dedicated to it and its history; it probably received different kinds of financial support for its conversion into the museum though. I object to having to pay an entrance fee to get into the *new* ( to me at least ) non-NPS Visitor Center operated by the so-called Gettysburg Foundation ( a big reason it was deliberately skipped this time around ), but I feel no similar qualms here - besides, it allowed me to see something I'd never seen before.

I didn't understand the concept behind the Gettysburg Foundation until I got the run down by two key players with the Foundation. The NPS could have never pulled off the new Visitor Center, because of the funding involved. The government does not except private contributions, therefore, the museum artifacts such as the cyclorama would have never been restored to it's present condition. The admission fee is a small price to pay for what they have accomplished.

I indorse this message and support the Gettysburg Foundation.

James, It is run by the Seminary Ridge Foundation or something close. Here is a link to their website. http://www.seminaryridgemuseum.org/about/ I know prior to July 1, 2013 that they kept sending me magnets and calenders, etc to get me to donate to the cause. I know they had things like get your name on a brick etc. One of the photos on the pages in the calendar is the same as Eric Wittenburgs new book, it is of Bufords Calvary.

James, It is run by the Seminary Ridge Foundation or something close. Here is a link to their website. http://www.seminaryridgemuseum.org/about/ I know prior to July 1, 2013 that they kept sending me magnets and calenders, etc to get me to donate to the cause. I know they had things like get your name on a brick etc. One of the photos on the pages in the calendar is the same as Eric Wittenburgs new book, it is of Bufords Calvary.
Should read-The cover of his new book.

I was doing some research at the Adams County Historical Society when it occupied the Lutheran Seminary. I mentioned to a staff member that I would have to return, and was told to do it soon because they had to be out of the building by XYZ date. I never got a reason as to why, now I know. Anyway, the ACHS is alive and well at the Wolf House.

I believe the Seminary Ridge Foundation is a joint-venture formed by the ACHS and the Lutheran Seminary. I believe this was Wayne Motts' big project before he was tapped to lead the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg.

I also visited the Seminary Ridge Museum a few weeks ago when I was in Gettysburg last. I was pleased with the exhibits and the story of the Seminary, the battle, and its aftermath, as well as the artifacts from the ACHS (which is probably glad to have a place to show off their 3-D artifacts) and the GNMP.

DSC05670.JPG

During my recent visit I decided to concentrate this time on the exhibits on the top floor dealing with the battle of the first day. Unfortunately all the photos failed to come out as clearly as I'd liked, but here they are anyway!

DSC05676.JPG

Rooms are devoted to chronological telling of the story of the first day's battle, beginning with the stand of Buford's cavalry on McPherson Ridge. Below, a cavalry forage cap, boots, and weapons.

DSC05674.JPG

DSC05675.JPG

The Federal commander John F. Reynolds was killed early in the battle; below, his handkerchief, embroidered with his name and a wreath.

DSC05673.JPG

DSC05671.JPG

Despite Reynolds' death the fight continued under the direction of Abner Doubleday; below Union and Confederate infantry weapons and equipment.

DSC05669.JPG

DSC05672.JPG

Above, more types of infantry arms and ammunition, specifically Confederate items are in the case below.

DSC05677.JPG

DSC05680.JPG

Union artillery is represented by the case above containing a gunner's shell jacket, sabre, and artillery saddle. Below, different types of artillery projectiles and implements like the water bucket and fuse pouch.

DSC05678.JPG

DSC05668.JPG

The Union line finally collapsed late in the afternoon when the Eleventh Corps and its leader Carl Schurz were outflanked north of Gettysburg. The case below contained a most interesting assortment of personal effects, all belonging to a single soldier of the Third Division of the Union First Corps.

DSC05679.JPG

Back