Seguin Texas, C.S.A.

Here are a few quick glimpses of what Seguin (Guadalupe County, TX) has to offer for those interested in the American Civil War.

(If anyone is having a hard time reading the inscriptions on our Texas-quarried pink granite markers, please let me know and I will go back and start transcribing them all!)

Front and center in front of the Guadalupe County Courthouse one will find the Guadalupe County, CSA marker:

Guadalupe County CSA Marker 1.jpg

Guadalupe County CSA Marker Inscription.jpg

While over in the Geronimo Cemetery, you will find the burial site of notable veteran of the Texas Revolution, republic-era (and later!) Texas Ranger, accomplished politician, and Confederate Brigadier General Henry Eustace McCulloch:

Henry-McCulloch-TSD_468955a.jpg

Henry Eustace McCulloch Burial.jpg

Henry Eustace McCulloch Marker.jpg

On the city square (and right next to the Juan N. Seguin monument!) you will find a double-sided marker placed to commemorate the hometown of notable confederate & the 18th governor of Texas - Colonel John Ireland:

JIrelandBG01.jpg

John Ireland Marker.jpg

John Ireland Marker Inscription (Colonel).jpg

John Ireland Marker Inscription (Governor).jpg

A few minutes drive from the city square and you may find yourself in Riverside Cemetery - home to the burial site of Timothy Pickering Jones.

Prior to being dismissed, T.P. Jones was the West Point roommate of Edgar Allen Poe - he was also a veteran of the Texas Revolution, a Mexican War veteran, and a Colonel with the 6th Tennessee Infantry.

(As a side note: Riverside Cemetery is one of those examples of a site that has probably lost even more history than it currently has to offer, largely due to a number of floods witnessed over the last 100+ years - to include the gravesite of James Clinton Neill, who among other achievements was the man responsible for touching off the Gonzalez piece in 1835!)

28099051_1476022152.jpg.png

28099051_138212692132.jpg

IMG_2646.JPG

Timothy Pickering Jones Gravesite.jpg

Timothy Pickering Jones Marker.jpg

I hope that you all have enjoyed this short tour of Seguin!

Last edited:
Back