Seeking info on marks on a gun (Harper's Ferry Musket)

BW9

Cadet
Hi all! I am hoping someone can direct me to how to identify the random inspector etc. marks on a Harpers Ferry musket. It's stamped 1825 and I have no reason to think it saw service in the Civil War (sorry!) but thought you guys might be able to tell me where to look to see if I can tell what the little marks might mean.

Thanks!

BW

BW: Suggest you ask the same question in the "Arms and Equipment" Forum. You might get a better response there. You might start with a description of the marks. Photos would be even better.

There should be at least 1, often 2 stamps on the stock left side. There should also be stamps on the barrell, barell bands & lock plate. Sounds like you're describing an M1816 which should be in .69 cal.

Hi all! I am hoping someone can direct me to how to identify the random inspector etc. marks on a Harpers Ferry musket. It's stamped 1825 and I have no reason to think it saw service in the Civil War (sorry!) but thought you guys might be able to tell me where to look to see if I can tell what the little marks might mean.

Thanks!

BW

Pictures are needed. And I agree it is most likely the 1816 model. That model saw tons of service during the war, on both sides, more so in the South. It also happens to be my favorite musket. :smile:

Thanks all. (The newbie forum says post here while you wait to be approved and we'll move it for ya--yup, they did move it!)

I'm pretty ignorant of these things and haven't been able to find a resource on even if these marks are actually compiled somewhere.

I think it's a model 1816. Looks like one anyway, converted to percussion.I apologize that it doesn't fit into my camera. It's pretty scruffy and I can't really be sure what's a mark and what's a rusty pit, but these are the obvious ones. The barrel and bands are pretty rough and I can't pick anything out. Would the guy who converted it to percussion have marked it? I'm curious about that modification and when it was done. And I just realized I don't have a good picture of that part of the gun. Oops. I'll have to do that.

Any suggestions or ideas on where to look? Thanks!

Looks like the typical M1816 conversion, if you're looking for a value I'd guess you'd want to start at about $350-400 and depending upon individual parts condition it might work up to the $700 range. A week or so ago I handled several in better condition that started in the $650 range, also handled one that was in all but arsenal new which was selling for $2200 which is the high end for this arm... I was $2200 short.

The carving in the stock is typical of the period and means nothing more than a soldiers initials, unit etc. And could as easily have been done post war in civilian hands. It looks like the typical cone in barrel conversion which would have been done at an arsenal. The 1825 on the lock is a little unusual as the majority of 1816's I've seen that were converted are post 1830 but the govt converted one in the best shape, not by year of manufacture.

The M1816 were heavily used by both sides early war and continued on in CS service a little later in the war. They were a good servicable arm, though nowhere near the quality of the M1842 which was interchangeable.

Sorry if a little off topic but of interrest I found a starr 1816 musket $3500.

A flintlock rifle, Model 1816, made under contract by N. Starr in 1826. 69 Cal. rifled bore, three barrel bands, Steel ramrod, fixed dovetail sights. The frizzen shows light wear as does the arm in general. The wood is in excellent condtion. The cartouches are generally excellent condition, the cartouches are sharp and "Mass 24" is marked on the stock. The barrel is lightly to moderately pitted and there is heavy pitting on the butplate.

$3,500.00
Request more information, or purchase this item

Expired Image Removed
Expired Image Removed

http://www.battermans.com/firearms-...l-1816-u-s-flintlock-musket-n-starr-1826.html

Sorry if a little off topic but of interrest I found a starr 1816 musket $3500.

A flintlock rifle, Model 1816, made under contract by N. Starr in 1826. 69 Cal. rifled bore, three barrel bands, Steel ramrod, fixed dovetail sights. The frizzen shows light wear as does the arm in general. The wood is in excellent condtion. The cartouches are generally excellent condition, the cartouches are sharp and "Mass 24" is marked on the stock. The barrel is lightly to moderately pitted and there is heavy pitting on the butplate.

$3,500.00
Request more information, or purchase this item

Expired Image Removed
Expired Image Removed

http://www.battermans.com/firearms-...l-1816-u-s-flintlock-musket-n-starr-1826.html
That is actually an M1817 also known as a "Common Rifle." $3500 seems a bit high unless it's something special. I've seen two in that price range one a lttle less and one a LOT more. The one that was a LOT more was in all but unissued condition the one a little less... looked considerably better.

Track of the Wolf ends up w/ them once in a while.

Thanks for the information. Is there a record of the assorted stamps and who or what they represent? I recognize they are just boring everyday bureaucratic marks but if there is a resource available I'd love to know what it is.

I should mention that I do know it's in terrible condition, I don't care what it is (or--more likely--isn't) worth, I'm not selling it, and I'm not insuring it.

I'm just curious. :smile:

That is actually an M1817 also known as a "Common Rifle." $3500 seems a bit high unless it's something special. I've seen two in that price range one a lttle less and one a LOT more. The one that was a LOT more was in all but unissued condition the one a little less... looked considerably better.

Track of the Wolf ends up w/ them once in a while.
Thanks, Im no expert on the guns, but I enjoy them and try to follow what they go for and I thought that was pretty dear at $3500.

Back to the original question about how the arm is marked, it essentially breaks down into three categories:

1. Initial manufacture markings by either the Armory, or private contractor including inspection and proof marks
2. Conversion (to percussion) markings, including re-proof and sometimes lock plate date changes
3. Idenification markings placed on the weapon by whoever it was issued to, or picked it up. Generally initials in the stock, etc.

Often forgotten and overlooked is the plethora of information on inspectors marks, manufacturers, serial numbers, etc., in the back of the good old Dixie Catalog. At $5 it is the cheapest set of reference tables and charts available.

J.

Back