Scottish Immigrants & the Civil War

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I always hear about the Irish Brigade and various other companies made up of Irish and even German immigrants. I was curious if there were any similar companies North or South with Scottish immigrants. After doing loads of genealogy research I discovered a lot of Scottish roots in the family and was just curious if they played a role in the war in any capacity that was perhaps notable in a group similar to the Irish Brigade. Thanks to anyone who can shed any light on my inquiry. :geek:

I always hear about the Irish Brigade and various other companies made up of Irish and even German immigrants. I was curious if there were any similar companies North or South with Scottish immigrants. After doing loads of genealogy research I discovered a lot of Scottish roots in the family and was just curious if they played a role in the war in any capacity that was perhaps notable in a group similar to the Irish Brigade. Thanks to anyone who can shed any light on my inquiry. :geek:
There was only one Scottish regiment. The 79th NY was brigaded with the Irish 69th NY. It fought well at 1st Bull Run, but mutinied after the battle:

https://longislandwins.com/news/national/after-bull-run-mutineers-scapegoats-and-the-dead-2/

Back