Samuel Arnold, "Conspirator"

Zuzah

Sergeant Major
I say "conspirator" because he dropped out after the failed plot to kidnap Lincoln and exchange him for prisoners, enjoy.

Expired Image Removed

Great job! Here is another version of Arnold from a different angle.

04213.jpg

Samuel Bland Arnold was born in 1834 and was 30 at the time of the Lincoln Assassination. As one of the early conspirators, he was involved in the original plot to kidnap President Lincoln. By the time of the assassination he had dropped out of the conspiracy and was not directly involved.

Since he had participated in the kidnap plot, he was sentenced to life in prison. Along with Dr. Mudd, Michael O’Laughlen and Edmund Spangler he served his time in Fort Jefferson, which is an island fort in the area known as the Dry Tortugas, in Florida.
Fort Jefferson started as a lighthouse for the Navy in 1826. Construction of the fort began 20 years later in 1846 and was still continuing during the Civil War. By the time the conspirators arrived in 1865, it was being used primarily as a prison for both military and civilian convicts. Arnold, along with Dr. Mudd and Edmund Spangler was pardoned in 1869 (Michael O’Laughlen had died in prison in 1867) by President Johnson.

Following his release, Arnold lived quietly out of the public limelight. In 1906, he died at the age of 72.

Thanks again man, bit jealous you got the beard area right, I couldn't seem to get it to look right on my end.

Thanks again man, bit jealous you got the beard area right, I couldn't seem to get it to look right on my end.

Stubble is tricky. Usually I have area with beards colored separate from areas with flesh, but with this I colored the entire face (except the mustache) with flesh tones and then overlaid that with hair color just around the chin. The rest of it was not touched. Since the stubble is generally black anyway it appears natural when covered with flesh tone. This is also a lot less work this way.

Stubble is tricky. Usually I have area with beards colored separate from areas with flesh, but with this I colored the entire face (except the mustache) with flesh tones and then overlaid that with hair color just around the chin. The rest of it was not touched. Since the stubble is generally black anyway it appears natural when covered with flesh tone. This is also a lot less work this way.
That's what I've done, but I didn't like the orange-y glow it got from the skin color.

That's what I've done, but I didn't like the orange-y glow it got from the skin color.

Well if I remember you said that you use "Soft Light" for the layer mode, I used "Color" and then reduced the opacity (in this case) to 60%. I just took it and looked at the results at 100% and yes, looks like he was sprayed with a bad spray tan.

Is that a bowtie, or a tie tucked into his shirt?

It's a bowtie, but I can see why you asked. I worked with the official biographers for most of the conspirators for a presentation I did last month. They sent me a bunch of the trial transcripts that dealt with descriptions of the various conspirators. I think the real problem was that most of them are wearing what they had been arrested in.

This means that they probably wore these clothes for a few weeks before the pictures were taken. Might explain why they don't look as clean and neat as they would have liked.

Back