1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Sam A. Cooley, photographer

Discussion in 'Period Civil War Photos & Examinations' started by donna, Jun 20, 2011.

1. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

I am trying to find out more about this photographer. He was the "Official Photographer" for the 10th Army. Several of his photographs are on different sites. He followed the 10th Army. He was also in St. Augustine, Florida. There is also article about his dark room.

However, I can't find any facts or biography on him. Any advice be appreciated.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Glorybound

Glorybound Major Retired Moderator

Looked all over the place for a close-up of Sam Cooley, and didn't find one. He's in this picture though, just don't know which one he is.

[​IMG]

4. donna

This is wagon he used to follow 10th Army. I don't know which one of men is him. Facts on his life are just hard to find.

5. wilber6150

wilber6150 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

deep in the Mohawk Valley of Central New York
    Just a guess, but I think hes the man to the right of the camera

6. M E Wolf

M E Wolf Colonel Retired Moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Samuel_Cooley_civil_war_photographer_1865.jpg

http://www.civilwar.org/photos/3d-photography-special/photography-and-the-civil-war.html

http://www.kidport.com/reflib/usahistory/civilwar/communication.htm

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/civil-war-pictures/photography/dark-room.htm

See All
    More
    Less

Alexandria, VA 22312
    Change Location
    Updated

Search History

Search History is suspended.

There are no searches in your History.

Go to Search History

Clear HistoryClose Popup
    You have requested to clear your existing Search History.
    Are you sure you want to clear you existing Search History?
    Yes No

Suspend HistoryClose Popup
    This will suspend your Search History tracking. It will not clear your existing history.
    Are you sure you want to suspend Search History tracking?
    Yes No

Sponsored Links

More Offers:

Sam Cooley photographer during the Civil War?
    Web Results

http://www.boltoncthistory.org/drsamuelcooley.html

Anna Elizabeth Henry likes this.
  7. Championhilz

Championhilz Sergeant

Information on Samuel A. Cooley

Donna,
    Samuel Abbot Cooley was the son of Dr. Abial Abbot Cooley of Hartford, Connecticut. An article in the June 4, 1866, edition of the Hartford Daily Courant noted that Cooley had been elected sheriff of Beaufort, South Carolina. By 1869 he was back in Hartford, as the Courant had an article in the September 3, 1869, edition detailing how Cooley had saved an old woman from being run over by a wagon. In the February 1, 1871 edition of the Courant, there is an advertisement noting that "Sam A. Cooley with give an exhibition of beautiful Stereopticon Views." The notice went on to say that "Many of the views were taken by the proprietor while photographer for the United States in the Department of the South, during the late war." If you would like copies of these articles and a few others that I have, just let me know and I will be happy to email them to you.
    Jeff
    PS: Cooley died on May 14, 1900, and is buried in the Old North Cemetery in Hartford.

Anna Elizabeth Henry and donna like this.
  8. donna

Jeff Thanks so much for the information. Would appreciate the articles. I been looking into several of the Confederate Photographers. Another one I am interested in is Andrew David Lytle of Baton Rouge. I have found more on him . There are some of his photos on different sites. a Mark Martin did book on him, called "Andrew D. Lytle: Baton Rouge Photographer".

9. Robert Gray

Robert Gray First Sergeant

Two stereoviews of Cooley. Sam A. Cooley.jpg Cooley\'s Wagon.jpg

JohnDLittlefield likes this.
  10. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

I've posted this before on a previous inquiry or discussion of Cooley, but here it is again in case you missed it; it's the only CDV I have by him:

MacPherson back.jpg J.B.MacPherson.jpg

11. JohnDLittlefield

JohnDLittlefield Sergeant

Rumor has it that Cooley took the attached photo in Savannah, GA, but I can't confirm that. CAn you tell me where Cooley's images are curated or perhaps there is a book with some/many/all of his ACW work??? CAn anyone confirm that he may have made it to Savannah- a short jump over from Beaufort, SC.

This is all the rumored info I have...
    "Here is a photo which comes from the "Photographic History of the Civil War". Researcher Hank Boyd suggests that this is a torpedo boat captured by Union forces at Savannah, Georgia and sent to St. Helena Island, where she was photographed by Cooley."
    Boat captured at Savannah GA.jpg

12. donna

13. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry Sergeant Major Silver Patron Member of the Month

He seems fairly illusive as far as details about his life go except for what others have already found. I did turn up some of his photographs, especially the one with his photography wagons. Wished I could have found out something different or new that isn't already here @donna

donna likes this.
  14. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

I forgot to mention that Sam did NOT take the likeness of Gen. James B. McPherson I posted above. At this time there were NO copyright laws and piracy was the norm. The original image was probably made by Brady or an assistant in Washington, D. C., and this is merely a copy sold by Cooley.

Anna Elizabeth Henry likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)