1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Sach's Bridge- Marsh Creek at Gettysburg

Discussion in 'Hauntings of the Great Rebellion' started by kholland, Aug 25, 2012.

1. kholland

kholland Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner Forum Host

Gettysburg will forever be associated with one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. Three days in July that changed not only the landscape of the war but permanently changed the direction of a nation. One of the places closely associated with this battle is a 100 foot long covered bridge called Sachs Bridge and now the paranormal activity there makes it one of the most haunted places in America.

sachs7.jpg

Both the Union and Confederates used this bridge but after day 2 of the battle it stayed on the Confederate side until their retreat days later. Not unsurprisingly, the highway department determined Sachs Bridge to be the most historic covered bridge in the state, in 1968 the bridge was closed to automobile traffic and in 1980 it was listed on the in the National Register of Historic Places. It is also called by many who have investigated one of the most active paranormal spots in Gettysburg.

During the retreat of the Army of Northern Virginia, Lee was worried of attacks on his battle worn army. He decided to split it up and send some towards Virginia via Cashtown and some by way of Sachs Bridge. Near the bridge was a post battlefield hospital set up and it is this as well as the men left to die along the bridge that lay claim to the paranormal pictures and experiences here.

Visitors have claimed to feel a heavy sadness when at the bridge as well as a strong feeling that they are unwanted there and are always being watched. We happened to visit this bridge late one evening on the last day of our visit to Gettysburg. I don’t claim to be sensitive or have psychic abilities but there is heaviness in the air there that cannot be denied.

There is a story containing a darker side to the bridge as well. The story is of 3 men hung from the rafters there. Some research I have read tell of 3 Confederate soldiers caught as spies and hung, some claim that the three soldiers were deserters and hung and one claims that it was three men caught stealing in the area and hung. The only thing for sure is that these men were hung from the rafters of the bridge and left to die.

Pictures taken from the bridge at night have shown strange orbs and streaking lights in them that were not there to the naked eye. There have been claims of hearing canon and gun fire from the fields around the bridge as well as apparitions and sounds of running horses. There have also been reports of screams, footsteps coming across the bridge and strange mists. There is also an angry spirit or spirits there, some claim associated with the hanged men, which do not want anyone there.

Read more: http://www.ghosteyes.com/paranormal-sachs-bridge#ixzz24ZJVXNtT

Glorybound and pamc153PA like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. pamc153PA

pamc153PA 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

I only "discovered" Sachs Bridge a couple summers ago, but it quickly became one of my favorite places associated with the battle. I have been there by myself, and also with my husband and 9 year old son. Each time I've been there, there have been mostly local citizens there, fishing. I have never "felt" anything there, nor have either my son or my husband. I haven't been there when it's dark, but I have been there at dusk and near dark, and haven't felt or seen a thing. The only scary thing I've ever seen there are these two apparitions :smile: :

100_2066_00.jpg

I do really like it out there, though. It's so picturesque, and my son likes to go below the dam and skip stones. We always make it part of our trip to Gettysburg.

100_2068_00.jpg 100_2062_00.jpg

kholland and Glorybound like this.
  4. prroh

prroh Captain

My 12 year old grandson loves to look for fish and turtles. it is a post card scene especially from the weir. rather than a scarey feeling the place exudes happiness and calm.

5. K Hale

K Hale Colonel Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

Really neat location, great for photography at the right times of day. Quiet and pretty. I saw hardly anyone else there; can't believe it's not super popular with the locals.

6. kel1985

kel1985 Sergeant Major

Gotta agree with Pam on this one...been there a number of times (I really enjoy the tranquility of the place), and have yet to experience anything out of the ordinary...The one thing I don't like there is the large amount of graffiti that has been written on the inside supports of the bridge over the years...

7. millerlgt82

millerlgt82 Private

Was just there this past tuesday around 8:30pm took lots of pics and only 1 or 2 "orbs" showed up.
    I will post the pics once i get them loaded onto my computer

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)