run a bullet

gary

Captain
So I am glancing at a new book and the diarist says, Run bullet. I think he means that he casts bullets. Am I correct? This is the first time I've read "run" used in this manner.

ETA: found the text and here it is:

Saturday- 14. St. Valentine's Day - Cold, but pleasant. Had set screw changed in my rifle & sight changed. Run bullets. Aired clothes. bo't paper. commenced writing to mother. Received papers from home. Recd breast & should[er] belts, brass plates, bullet & cap boxes; getting well loaded up. No coffee for supper. By the fire in eve.

Last edited:
So I am glancing at a new book and the diarist says, Run bullet. I think he means that he casts bullets. Am I correct? This is the first time I've read "run" used in this manner.

What book is it?

Kevin Dally

Source was: The Life of a Union Army Sharpshooter: The Diaries and Letters of John T. Farnham

I asked the same question at TFL (TheFiringLine) and got these responses.

Sarge said:

As a youth I read every frontier, buckskinner and mountain book I could get my hands on. This was some decades ago, so I cannot recall the source; but I am certain 'running ball' means to melt lead and cast ball.

Pahoo said:

The term that I am most familiar with is "running-Lead" which basically means the same thing, whether casting or smelting but mostly casting. There are many historical references to "running-lead". .......

Would add that some of Sam Fadala's books, uses that term; Running-Ball for RB's and I suppose that crossed over to running-bullets which is what was being done during the Civil War.

Berkley provided an image from the Oxford English Dictionary that defines run as "to allow to flow into moulds."

Understanding Nineteenth Century (and earlier) writing isn't easy. Imagine today's kids who can't read cursive? It might as well be space alien written language to them.

Gary
Since he adjusted the screw and set his sights on his musket..run bullets means he fired off a few rounds to me!
Could be he casted a few.
Either way you know he was at least handling them and prepping for battle.
Also even today when you are casting bullets, say all are .357 rounds. You say a run.

Last edited:
Back