Rock of the 11th U.S. Infantry in the Valley of Death

Tom Elmore

Captain
Member of the Year
Some months ago I came across an article on the Preserving York blog by Blake Stough, which can also be found on the Gettysburg National Military Park site: https://npsgnmp.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/sergeant-stouch-returns-to-gettysburg/

The rock in question lies in the "Valley of Death," along the Plum Run valley in front of Little Round Top, specifically near the section of Smith's battery, as shown in my attached photograph. Thus it can readily be found. It was behind this rock that Sergeant Major W. H. Stouch of the 11th U.S. Infantry took refuge, along with Lieutenants Elder and Fetter, 1st Sergeant Price, and Privates Smith and Cooke of his regiment, after they were overrun by Cobb's Georgia Legion and other men of Wofford's brigade, around 7:10 p.m. on July 2. Elder and Fetter had previously been wounded.

When it appeared likely the group was about to be recaptured by the charge of the Pennsylvania Reserves, a Confederate soldier who was posted behind another rock some 50 yards away in the direction of Devil's Den, deliberately began to pick off the men. His first shot instantly killed Private Cooke. His successive two shots struck Sgt. Price in the neck, and Sgt. Maj. Stouch in the wrist, but at that moment the Reserves reached their position and the Confederates fell back over the rocky ledge at Devil's Den.

Other such instances of shooting helpless men are recorded on this battlefield and others. It reminds us of the brutal nature of war. It is also a compelling human interest story to be able to detail the history of a particular spot on the field, and it aids the historian and casual visitor alike to visualize and appreciate troop movements and fighting in this immediate vicinity. It is possible to find a couple of likely candidate rocks that concealed the Confederate soldier in question, which brings the event vividly to life, of a brief two minutes in time, over 150 years ago.

Attachments

• 11USrock.JPG
    11USrock.JPG
    530.3 KB · Views: 526
Great post. I found the story in your link to be fascinating. Stouch talked the surgeons out of amputating his hit wrist. I wonder how many times surgeons were talked out of amputations. I cam only imagine what he went through during the 14 months it took the wrist to heal.

Another rock that I need to find.

“I was Sergt Major 11th US. Infantry, at Gettysburg and was captured about 5 o’clock p.m. July 2d by ‘Cobb’s Georgia Legion’ of Wofford’s Brigade, McLaws’ Division, Longstreets Corps, at the repulse & retreat of our Brigade.....we were caught at the rock, and ordered by the Rebels to go behind it, to protect ourselves from the fire of our own men on Little Round Top, and those who had reformed at the foot, to resist the charge of the Rebels." https://npsgnmp.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/sergeant-stouch-returns-to-gettysburg/
Capture Rock Gettysburg.jpg

“To the right of us looking from Little Round Top, across a small ravine and on a rocky ledge running perpendicular to Little Round Top, between us and the Division, were a lot of Rebel Sharpshooters behind rocks(.) One of them about 50 yards from us… saw we were about to be recaptured, (and) commenced firing at us." https://npsgnmp.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/sergeant-stouch-returns-to-gettysburg/

Capture rock at LRT.jpg

@Tom Elmore Do you know where the Sharpshooter described was located ? The one that fired on the captured men? Any idea what reg of SS he would have belonged to?

... It was behind this rock that Sergeant Major W. H. Stouch of the 11th U.S. Infantry took refuge, along with Lieutenants Elder and Fetter, 1st Sergeant Price, and Privates Smith and Cooke of his regiment, after they were overrun by Cobb's Georgia Legion and other men of Wofford's brigade, around 7:10 p.m. on July 2...

That's a mighty small rock to be sheltering that many men. (No doubt they thought so at the time too.) It puts me in mind of the reminiscence about the "conga line" of men swaying behind a single tiny sapling!

Back