Robert Lemon's Small Ferry At Williamsport, Seriously Overworked.

War Horse

Captain
Member of the Year
Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017
I just learned that a small ferry at Williamsport was the only means to cross the Potomac river upon Lee's retreat from Gettysburg. A very slow process while waiting for the pontoon bridge to be built at Falling Waters. I am watching a very good history channel documentary on the retreat from Gettysburg. "Retreat From Gettysburg Lee, Logistics and the Pennsylvania Campaign" The only problem is I am unable to confirm this Ferry existed, for some reason Mr. Lemon's Ferry has captured my attention. Can anyone shed more light on this subject? Just curious.

Last edited:
Just had a look, the name is rather Lemen. Look for Lemen's Ferry, you will find a number of hits, among them this one:

https://books.google.de/books?id=1L9RtUE9LhwC&pg=PT218&lpg=PT218&dq=lemen's+ferry&source=bl&ots=ryPbhZn1Jx&sig=u0aOX_CmjiXpIDQ72uctJHtp5Ok&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0CCUQ6AEwA2oVChMI_93A1If3xwIVS78UCh3OVwjz#v=onepage&q=lemen's ferry&f=false

Hope ot helps a bit.
I never thought about that earlier, I always took for granted they would have used pontoons...

Aw it pays to know a Liberian. Thank you so much FF

IMAG0208.jpg
IMAG0199.jpg
IMAG0193.jpg
IMAG0202.jpg

Here's how it looks now.

Back