1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Revolver from my South Carolina ancestor

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by TommyNole, Jan 9, 2017.

1. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

The plot thickens. I went back to my Ancestry tree. My ancestor's older brother appears to have died in a POW camp in Lookout, MD. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with my revolver. But it shows that this family absolutely has CW ties. This part of the story was news to me. Not sure what the "Sons of the American Revolution" reference under by direct ancestor (John) means.

upload_2017-1-11_0-14-17.png

upload_2017-1-11_0-12-20.png

Caswell Ranger and lelliott19 like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

We've been able to validate a solid family tree up my paternal line (Neese) going back to the early 1700's in SC. Luckily our family is certain on the lineage. I'm trying specifically to learn more about John Neese (1847-1925) and the revolver. The story is that he served in the CW. The assumption is that the revolver at the top of this thread was his gun. At a minimum I'd like to confirm his veteran status. Tying the gun to the CW may be a tall order.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 11:00 AM
  4. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

lelliott19 likes this.
  5. lelliott19

lelliott19 Sergeant Major Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Ok so if Godfrey Neese is your guy John Neese's brother then Im pretty sure Ive got the right ones here. They were living in or near Swansea SC? And if they signed up at the outset, would have probably enlisted at Columbia (the closest city of any size.) Since John was only 14 years old in 1861, its doubtful he signed up right away. He would have enlisted later, after he got big enough to shoulder a musket. Godfrey is a pretty unusual name, so I started with him.

Godfrey Neese
    listed as age 19, Co C 1st SC Battalion Sharpshooters
    Enlisted Sept 5, 1861 at Columbia SC
    Listed on Company Muster roll of 1st SC Battalion Sharpshooters dated Aug 31, 1862 as Transferred from Co B of the P.B.L.A (Palmetto Battalion Light Artillery?)
    Listed as "present" through June/July 1863 - no further record in the 1st Bat SS
    upload_2017-1-10_23-52-44.png

Then a "Godfrey Neese" shows up again in Co G 27th SC Infantry Sept/Oct 1863 with the same enlistment date and location:
    upload_2017-1-11_0-3-40.png
    And then the same Godfrey Neese (cards labeled G Neese filed with Godfrey Neese) shows up as being transferred to Co B 20th South Carolina by Special Order (see below)
    upload_2017-1-11_0-5-21.png
    Then there is a "J Neese" who enlisted as a "New Recruit" Feb 22, 1863 into Co D of the 20th South Carolina Infantry. Enlisted at Sull's (sullivan's) Island If your guy was born in 1847, he would have just turned 16 years old in 1863 so not unheard of.
    upload_2017-1-10_23-58-1.png

Then youve got Godfrey Neese appears on a Roll of Prisoners of War captured by Hink's Division June 18, 1864 near Petersburg Va; confined at Bermuda Hundred June 20, 1864; turned over to Provost June 21, 1864; and sent to Point Lookout June 22, 1864. Died at Point Lookout March 14, 1865 of "scorbutus."

Scorbutus is a fancy name for scurvy - the symptoms are inanition, debility, anemia, and edema of the dependent parts; spongy condition sometimes with ulceration of the gums and loss of teeth, hemorrhages of the skin and mucous membranes, poor wound healing - resultant from a lack of vitamin C.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 1:35 AM
    DaveBrt and TommyNole like this.
  6. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

Wow great stuff. Yes you've got the right folks (Lexington/Swansea area). Now I suppose the jury is still out on whether that's my John Allen Neese (vs his older first cousin John Thomas Neese born in 1833). It's a great starting point and I greatly appreciate you digging into that for me.

Sad story on my great uncle Godfrey but just another sign of the tough times back then. He would have only been about 23 years old when he died in the POW camp.

lelliott19 likes this.
  7. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

Upon further investigation...you very well might have found my ancestor there in J. Neese as a CW veteran! At first I thought it might be his 1st cousin (the other John Neese)...but that gentleman apparently moved from SC to Alabama prior to the war (married and served there). So that would exclude him from being the J. Neese on the doc you provided. Now whether it's another J. Neese...possible but Neese certainly isn't a very common name. Too bad there wasn't an age listed.

http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi/http=://www,findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=55918524

Thanks to the previous poster who discovered this grave of my ancestor's first cousin. This helps piece things together and differentiate the two.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    lelliott19 likes this.
  8. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

This seems to validate that my great great grandpa was a Veteran (when put on top of everything else). Whether or not the revolver was his sidearm during the war years...I'll never know. But it certainly was his at some point and it somehow means more to me now that I see that he served in the War.

Thanks for everyone's help and for steering me in the right direction. I've learned a lot.

Neese, J. A. of Swansea, Lexington County Application for Pension for Service in Co. C, First Regt, S.C. State Troops.
    4/9/1919

http://genealogytrails.com/scar/lexington/cw_pensioners1919.htm

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    Jobe Holiday likes this.
  9. lelliott19

lelliott19 Sergeant Major Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Cards for Godfrey Neese, age 18, also appear in Co B 3d Palmetto Battalion Lt Artillery with dates of Sept 1861 - Aug 1862. The remarks section of the last card in that group states "Transferred to Abney's Batt S.S. July 20. (Certificate given.) " So it looks like you have this sequence of events:

Sept 5, 1861
    - Godfrey Neese age 18, enlisted into Co B 3d Palmetto Lt Artillery at Columbia
    July 20, 1862 - Godfrey Neese age 19, Transferred to Co C 1st SC Battalion Sharpshooters
    Feb 22, 1863 - J Neese, age not stated, enlists into Co D 20th South Carolina Infantry
    Sept/Oct 1863 - Godfrey Neese shows up in the roll of Co G 27th SC Infantry
    Sept 29, 1863 - Note on cards of 27th SC Infantry note Godfrey Neese transferred to Co B 20th South Carolina by Special Orders No 323. A light artillery company was raised to be attached to the 20th SC Infantry. (Godfrey could have requested this transfer so he could serve in the same regiment with his brother, who would have been 16 years old at the time?) Anyway, the cards say that the formation of the artillery co was nullified and the men were returned to their original regiments so Godfrey retunred to 27th SC)
    upload_2017-1-11_20-57-6.png

Mar 1863/Aug 1864 -
    J Neese shown as present Co D 20th SC except for a couple hospitalizations for illness
    June 18, 1864 - Godfrey Neese Co G 27th SC Infantry captured before Petersburg and sent to Point Lookout MD
    April 26, 1865 - J Neese, Pvt., Co D, 2nd SC Infantry (the 20th had been consolidated with the 2nd SC) shown as surrendered as part of Johnston's command at Greensboro, NC and paroled May, 2, 1865
    upload_2017-1-11_21-1-39.png

March 14, 1865 -
    Godfrey Neese Co G 27th SC died of scurvy while imprisoned at Point Lookout
    upload_2017-1-11_21-10-14.png
    There is a find a grave memorial for him "G Neese" here: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=20234015 The date of death nor the plot number (1284) are included, so I took the liberty of submitting them as an edit to the manager of the memorial.

Edit to add: Looks like Godfrey could write his name, as it appears as a signature to a receipt.
    upload_2017-1-11_21-17-13.png
    upload_2017-1-11_21-16-25.png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017 at 10:28 PM
  10. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

You are awesome lelliott19!

lelliott19 likes this.
  11. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

John Allen Neese - the original owner. My great great grandpa and apparent CW Vet.

*Thanks to my aunt for sharing them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM
    lelliott19 likes this.
  12. Story

Story Corporal

Let's go back to the revolver itself. More pics?

I'm still curious as to whether this was an 1860 SC state purchase.
    I'd seen the CMSR for Neese in the 3rd SC Artillery and it's interesting to speculate that the Regiment's officers might have issued Beals.

Caliber?
    Serial number? (with the last digit or two X'd out)?

lelliott19 likes this.
  13. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

I'll be getting it over Easter weekend when I visit my mother. I'm inheriting it as a belated birthday gift then. I'll get more photos and measurements at that time. Sorry this thread got off track about the original owner! I got excited about confirming he was a CW vet.

14. hrobalabama

hrobalabama First Sergeant

How many sidearms were issued by the CSA? Were not most privately issued or by the states? I had in my collection of Colt Navies, an 1851 Colt that was among a group of weapons purchased by Langdon CheevesIII( pronounced "she-vas')
    According to the Colt records, this group of revolvers was shipped to Charleston SC the day before Ft. Sumter was fired upon. Mr. Cheeves had a group on weapons shipped to Graveley & Pringle, a factor in Charleston. He also wrote that he could secure an order of Gilbert Smith Carbines. His reason for ordering these weapons, "was to protect the rice plantations." Mr. Cheeves was said to be a personal friend of Sam Colt. These purchases were made up until and shortly after the beginning of hostilities.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017 at 10:33 PM
    DaveBrt and Jobe Holiday like this.
  15. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

I should reiterate that I don't know how my ancestor acquired the revolver. It could have very well been purchased prior or during the war. He was about 16 years old when he enlisted and it sounds unlikely (from what I've learned here) that he'd have been issued a sidearm.

Jobe Holiday likes this.
  16. FIRST CORPS

FIRST CORPS Private

Battlefield pick-up?

17. TommyNole

TommyNole Cadet

Certainy possible. Nothing related to it was passed down. I'll have some detailed photos and measurements in a couple months when it's in my possession.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)