"Retained Under G.O. 101 WD 1865 . . . " what does this mean?

cahalanjones

Private
I'm still working on researching all 300 or so of the US Colored Troop enlistees from Williamson County, Tennessee and I've noticed that a few of them have this notation on their muster cards when they mustered out. I'm just curious - what does it mean -- does it have something to do with them surrendering their weapons? Or does it mean they were able to retain their weapons (I'm guessing not). Throwing myself on the mercy of those of you who are so much more knowledgeable than myself - I've tried googling this but didn't really come up with anything. I'm attaching an example. Thank you! Tina

Attachments

• General Order 101.jpg
    General Order 101.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 197
The reference is very similiar to what you find on WW2 discharge records.
After the end of WW2, the War Department authorized a Victory Medal to be issued to all men in active duty.

G.O. 33 WD 45 refers to General Order No. 33 issued by the War Departemnt in 1945.
and
GO 9 328FA 44 = General Order #9 issued in 1944 by the 328 Field Artillery Battalion.

What I find frustrating is references simply to GO #x, or SO #x, without specifying whose General or Special Order. In this case it specifies "WD" (War Dept.), but there were Departmental Orders, Corps, Division, Brigade, Regimental Orders. The President, Governors (as CinC of Militia), and numerous others issued General and Special Orders as well.

General Orders applied to all the troops under the issuer's authority. Special Orders pertained to specific groups or individuals named in the order. Each year, they started again from No. 1, ... 2, 3, and so on.

I wonder if your Andrew Johnson purchased an Enfield.... it looks like "E gun and accoutrements"

Who wouldn't today like to buy all that for $6 !!!!!!!!

Well, for the record, it would be $92 in 2015 dollars and that would have been a substantial investment but I suppose a good one nevertheless as a rifle would have been a very useful thing (hunting and self defense).

Under the provisions of General Order (G.O.) 101, 30 May 1865, discharged Federal soldiers were permitted to purchase their arms and take them home with them. Muskets of all types, with or without accoutrements, cost $6.00. Spencer carbines, with or without accoutrements cost $10.00, while all other carbines and revolvers cost $8.00. Under G.O. 101, soldiers purchased 116,677 “muskets”; including 96,238 Springfields, 19,882 Enfields, and 557 “others.” (U.S. Congressional Serial 1497, pp. 167-72; G.O. 101)

For a "Colored" soldier going back to to his home in a southern state after his discharge, purchasing his military firearm would have been a very rational choice -- whatever the cost.

Regards,
Don Dixon

I managed to find a copy of the order - I've attached it in case anyone would like to see it. thanks again for the help!
Retention of Arms by Soldiers.png

Back