1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Resources for Studying the Confederate Veteran

Discussion in 'Post Civil War History, The Reconstruction Period' started by Pat Young, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com First Sergeant Forum Host

I have over 400 original CV mags and always enjoyed reading them. I have been able to locate several CS camps by reading them. When the bound versions came out I bought them as it had separate index. If you look at the page numbers of the originals they start at page 1 and continue upward thru all 12 issues for that year. That is how they were able to index them. When the cd came out I bought them and was hoping to be able to do a search thru them but you can't but I really do enjoy the cds as I can make them bigger on my computer screen.
    The photo below is of CS Vets at the CS Home at Beauvoir, my GGGreatfather H Wells is on the second floor left hand side second from the right. He buried in CS cemetery there.
    csvetsbeauvoir.png

Pat Young, Andersonh1 and nitrofd like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Pat Young

Pat Young Colonel Forum Host

chellers likes this.
  4. Pat Young

With some of the links, you are going to a digital library from the Hathi Trust. In the center of the page you will see the word "Viewability". Click "Full View" to see the book or document. Here is an example:
    hathi.JPG

5. Pat Young

6. Pat Young

7. Pat Young

8. Pat Young

9. Pat Young

Now I will be posting on soldiers' homes. These were originally established to assist veterans whose wounds had rendered them unable to care for themselves. As the mass of veterans aged, they became retirement homes for old soldiers.

Please continue to post whatever you wish to help us research the lives of Confederate veterans.

chellers likes this.
  10. Pat Young

11. Pat Young

A view of the Raleigh home:

Raliegh soldiers home.JPG

chellers likes this.
  12. Pat Young

13. Pat Young

Here is a picture of the Tenn. home:

tenn soldiers home.JPG

chellers and nitrofd like this.
  14. Pat Young

15. Pat Young

chellers likes this.
  16. Pat Young

The Texas Home was founded by the John Bell Hood Camp. It later received aid from the Albert Sidney Johnston camp of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. A prize concert was held to raise funds for the home. Tickets in a lottery were drawn by blind girls from a local asylum.

Texas lagged behind other states in providing for disabled Confederate veterans because a provision of its constitution barred expenditures that would expend money for the benefit of an individual. By 1890, the home only served 40 residents, even though Texas was home to 66,000 Confederate vets. (p. 27 Masters Thesis)

Here is an interesting Master's thesis on the home. Just skip past the first chapter that gives the "review of the literature."

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc84231/m2/1/high_res_d/thesis.pdf

chellers and Nathanb1 like this.
  17. Pat Young

Here are pictures of the Austin home that @Nathanb1 posted a few ears ago:

austin home.JPG
    austin home 2.JPG

18. Pat Young

19. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

My great-grandfather applied for a pension not long before he died in 1925. That was a treasure, to see his handwriting and read the witness statements from two of his fellow company mates. He did leave out the part about nearly getting himself hung in Grayson County in 1862 as a Unionist and member of the Peace Party before he scampered to Comanche County and started chasing....well, Comanches.....with a county militia unit. He barely received his pension before he died, and there's a note from his son, Ruben Ross Powers (where he made his home at the time) saying he couldn't sign because he was almost blind and "his mind is mostly gone," possibly due to staying with my dad's family and the 15 kids. Daddy said he would sit by the stove and say, "When is this train going to stop?" LOL. I bet it did feel like that.

Best records ever. I keep intending to order my other great-grandfather's pension application, which was disallowed and which was apparently sent in by his third wife, who cheated the family out of everything, the old hag. She got hers...she got a rock with her name in the Burkett Cemetery. Anyway, he was only six or seven when the war started, and I sort of got the impression he didn't serve. Ha.

20. Pat Young

Thanks for the personal story. In looking at the Texas home, I saw there was a high standard to prove Confederate service.

Nathanb1 likes this.
  21. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

Pat Young likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)