Researching Frank H. Cowperthwaite and looking for photo

ddbartley

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I am researching Frank H. Cowperthwaite and am looking for a possible photograph. He was with the N.Y.S. M. 1st Company, 7th Regiment. I have a pistol that was his and was trying to tie together more information.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am researching Frank H. Cowperthwaite and am looking for a possible photograph. He was with the N.Y.S. M. 1st Company, 7th Regiment. I have a pistol that was his and was trying to tie together more information.

Thanks

My great-great-grandfather was Frank H. Cowperthwaite, born in New York in 1842, died on Long Island in 1918. I have been able to find out little about him; in fact, I hadn't known about his service. I would appreciate any information you have. How did you acquire the pistol?

On April 19, 1861 the 6th Massachusetts Militia was attacked in the streets of Baltimore in what would be known as the Pratt Street Riot enroute to Washington, DC. The 6th made it through to Washington, but for the next week travel to Washington was cut off and under what a recent book has called "The Siege of Washington". (Its a well written and informative book - John and Charles Lockwood authors.) The 7th New York Militia, commanded by Colonel Marshall Lefferts, traveling by way of Annapolis in conjunction with Ben Butler and the 8th Massachusetts Militia, was the first unit to arrive in Washington DC after the riot.
http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/UnionBlue/UnionBlueChap2.htm

Back