Researching a Spencer

Just picked up this 1860 Spencer carbine with serial #59893. Unfortunately its a wall hanger as the barrel is good and corroded. I understand from the little info professor Google provided that the serial # places it in the later date-range of the model 1860 production run, but before the model 1865 runs began. Regardless, it seems likely that if it was issued during the ACW, it would have been at the tail end in 1865. Does anyone know of a resource where serial number ranges have been matched to units, or any other serial number lists for the model 1860? Any other sage wisdom anyone can impart on this piece? I know very little about these guns.
Many thanks!
119tshc.jpg

3127gxi.jpg

207p5s6.jpg

11ghb0n.jpg

You need to get Roy Marcot's book Spencer Repeating Firearms. They are pricey, they are available on Amazon for 150.00. The U.S. Government did not require that serial numbered weapons be recorded or to who they were issued. But sometimes individual units recorded the serial numbers and who each weapon was issued to, as a means of good record keeping, but more importantly to make soldiers accountable for their weapon. Since it was not required, only a scarce few units actually did this. Your best bet to research the number of your spencer is to find someone who has access to the Springfield Research Manuals (SRS). Their are others here who are far more knowledgeable than me who can probably help you. Good Luck!!

Selair Chapman-- If you decide to pursue the book Spencer Repeating Firearms by Roy Marcot, you don't have to spend $150.00 at Amazon. Go to your local library and see if they can order the book through their Interlibrary Loan Program.
It takes a couple of weeks to get loaned books from other libraries (and you pay the shipping) but you save a lot of money.
I often get books I want to read (but not keep) through my local library. It works great. Try it!!

1860 Spencer Carbines were delivered from October 9, 1963 to April 17, 1865 . The serial number range was from 11,000 to 62,000 less 2,000 that were rifles that fell from 22,000 to 24,000. This info is from Roy Marcot's book. There are no list of serial numbers for your 1860 Carbine included. So unless you want the book for it's other info, save your money.

Thanks for all the info! Too bad mine is not in the SRS book but at least I know that now. Would it be fair to say it was likely issued during the ACW?

Your welcome. Having a hit in the SRS books is like hens teeth. I only have one Spencer rifle and a couple of near misses listed. Remember, a very very small percentage got listed. Well with a little number juggling, as you are very close to 60,000 with 62,000 in play. I'm guessing delivery on 3/13/65 shipment. there were three more deliveries after that one, 3/20 of 1002, 4/10 of 680 and the last on 4/17 of 868. As to if it was issued before the end, I kind of doubt it, but who knows. It was in the hands of the military before the end. Guessing more likely going West after end of Civil War.

Back