1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Related links and resources

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by wilber6150, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Sloan

Sloan Private

Very Interesting...As a Boy Scout waaaaay to many years ago I made the trips to Gettysburg, Antietam, and Appomattox. Guess that is what sparked my interest in the Civil War.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Mosin

Mosin Sergeant Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner

4. civilken

civilken Sergeant Major

I had two member of family at Gettysburg and a great great grandmother at the hospital I believe that is why I have such a feeling for the place I live in NY but when we go I feel at home

FarawayFriend likes this.
  5. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Wonderful thread!
    It will take me years to look to all these interesting links but I will enjoy every minute!
    I just wanted to contribute a view of the battlefield through Earth Cam, but I 'm afraid it is offline at the moment. But usually it provides a nice look from the Codori barn over the field of Pickett's charge:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/pennsylvania/gettysburg/

And it's a live stream so you can hear and watch cars go by, the tour buses in the distance and now and then an occasional pedestrian walking over the field. I hope it will go online again soon because I like to just sit at home and have a look what's going on there.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    Diana9 likes this.
  6. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

Camera is online again. Shows strange blinking lights now in the distance! Maybe some sort of roadwork.

7. civilken

civilken Sergeant Major

Hay everyone in the move Gettysburg does anyone know the rank of the guy always next to Chamberlain I know he's not real but I like the part he plays .

8. ErnieMac

ErnieMac Captain Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Buster Kilrain was a private. He had been a sergeant but was demoted for striking an officer while drunk. He was the only fiction character in The Killer Angels, but supposedly based on a real individual in the 20th Maine.

9. trostles farm

trostles farm Private

Mosin, that's a good web site on the photos of the cyclorama. I wish I went in and saw it years ago when we visited Gettysburg battlefield.

10. jlhist64

jlhist64 Cadet

Greetings!
    I am currently doing research for a book titled "Texas Remembers Gettysburg". This will be a collection of the first hand memories of the soldiers o...f the 1st, 4th, and 5th Texas Infantry who fought at Gettysburg from July 2-3, 1863. This will be a book in the soldiers own words. I have started researching the diaries, books, Confederate Veterans Magazine Articles, and other primary sources and database and this will result in the history of the Texas Brigade at Gettysburg from the veterans memories. If you have any ancestors that fought in the Texas Regiments at Gettysburg, then I would like for you to consider sending me your ancestors accounts (via fax, scan, or email). You do not have to send me your precious forefathers diaries or any original papers. This book will be a tribute to the fine soldiers of Hood's Texas Brigade in their words. Your forefathers memories will be a tribute to the Battle Of Gettysburg. Please contact me if you are interested in sharing your ancestors memories.
    Sincerely,
    Joe Owen
    Blanco, Texas

11. E_just_E

E_just_E 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

The Gettysburg National Park Service has a youtube channel with many taped battlefield tours. You can find it here.

12. MRB1863

MRB1863 Brigadier General Moderator

Agree! Plenty of information on the Battle of Gettysburg Buff website. Also like gettysburgdaily.com

13. MRB1863

MRB1863 Brigadier General Moderator

Mosin likes this.
  14. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Captain Silver Patron

A well produced documentary about the Battle of Gettysburg. 'Viewer discretion Advised' Some very realistic battle scenes. Think Saving Private Ryan

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  15. civilken

civilken Sergeant Major

I'm sorry it's not that but in no way is it the same as Pvt. Ryan or close. I seen that movie with my father and he stared at the screen as we walked out I said dad what do you think. He never really talked about the war but that day he said to me the beginning of the film brought me back that was what it was like I never thought I would see that in a movie.

Waterloo50 likes this.
  16. Waterloo50

Waterloo50 Captain Silver Patron

Oh, the reference to Private Ryan was only made to point out that there were some scenes that could upset people. I don't know if you watched the Gettysburg documentary through to the end but there were some scenes which were a little more brutal than most documentaries that I have seen on the subject. I have heard from a few WW2 veterans that the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan was the most realistic. My full respect goes to your father.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  17. bdietzler73

bdietzler73 First Sergeant Forum Host

Waterloo50 likes this.
  18. E_just_E

Good stuff :smile:

A bit of feedback:

a. Garnett was MIA not KIA. Actually the poster boy of MIA. No body, no K, and the first reports from where allegedly his remains were was that "he escaped", and the "official" line changed into "killed" when he did not show up at the Confederate side of the battle, and the Confederates assumed he was killed, and the Federals took it as is (and did not matter much.)
    b. About that "desperate thing to attempt". Allegedly said between two man who were not around 24 hrs after it was said, without any witnesses. Wert is the only one to have propagated that saying, and few people picked it up. Been checking contemporary primary (and secondary and tertiary) sources for a good five years to validate, but had no luck. It is catching, a couple books used it as chapter titles, but not sure that it is accurate. Matter of fact I would had loved that phrase to be accurate to include in the preface of my book, but cannot even go there. Something a presumed dead man said to a proven dead men without eyewitnesses...

bdietzler73 likes this.
  19. bdietzler73

Hi,

Thank you for your comments. This hits near and dear to my heart because I am directly related to Richard and Robert Garnett and have been looking into their lives for many years.

One interesting thing that I discovered a few years ago digging for information was some old Confederate Veteran magazines (digitally archived) that had a couple of eyewitness accounts about the death of Garnett. Two people had stated that he had been shot off his horse by rifle fire at the Angle in the stone wall at Gettysburg. I remember it took me two hours to dig through all that but that was the only eyewitness account of anything about his death that I could find anywhere in several years of searching.

The phrase that Garnett had supposedly said was confirmed by one of his staff I thought? I can’t remember where I read it but I thought that a staff officer had corroborated this in a book somewhere. I can’t remember maybe I can dig it out sometime. The Gettysburg park rangers use that quote a lot in their walks focusing on Pickett’s Charge and the Garnett’s brigade walk that I saw a few years ago. It would be nice if that phrase was true (confirmed at least) because it’s a pretty catchy phrase and really says something about Pickett’s Charge.

I dusted off an old story that I wrote about Garnett’s life and am in the process of beefing it up for publication in a magazine shortly. I am going to see if I can find those eyewitness accounts and that I found a few years ago.

Just curious, in your book did you talk about Garnett?

Thank you,
    Bryan

20. E_just_E

I do, a bit :smile:

Actually the whole book is about Dick Garnett. I am working on his biography. Good 5-6 years now. Lots of research... I am giving myself 2 more to finish. I am done with the Gettysburg part (and it is neither the longest or the most interesting part of his life.) He did some very interesting things out west and was even part of one of the first expeditions to chart Rio Grande, just right after TX became part of the US. He also was in charge of the Cadets (what turned into ROTC) in Georgetown College (now University) for a couple years, and I suspect that this is the first time you heard about those 2 things.

Which branch of Muscoe Garnett's (1736-1803; Bob and Dick Garnett's grandfather) do you come from?

Eyewitness accounts fade with age and get biased by other eyewitness accounts and assumptions. There are plenty of accounts dated within the first 3 days of the Battle of Gettysburg to form a picture. And some of them are pretty categorical... There is some stuff that was published in the 1900s but it is fairly (let's say) "confused". One even describes him as having dark hair, while he had blond hair and blue eyes. His cousin, Bob, (Richard Sheldon) did have dark hair, because his mother was Mediterranean (French).... Anyways

I'd love to talk to you more about your relative, if interested. Pretty psyched matter of fact to find one of his relatives alive Really :smile:

bdietzler73 likes this.
  21. bdietzler73

Hi,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had a busy last couple of days.

I am pretty excited to hear that you are writing a whole book about Richard. Not a whole lot has been done about him so I am excited to see something else done. I will be the first in line to buy your book!

Have you read (I am sure you have) the book done about both Richard and Robert Garnett called “The River of Blood and the Valley of Death: The lives of Robert Selden Garnett and Richard Brooke Garnett, CSA: Two Cousins for the Cause by Matthew Burton? This book was not only hard to find but extremely expensive when I did find it. It was entertaining though and, from my point of view, accurate. What did you think of that book?

Garnett’s career in the pre-war army was pretty interesting I have to agree with you on that. I have some information about his pre-war career but the two items you mentioned, charting the Rio Grande and his being in charge of cadets at Georgetown college were not known to me. You were correct, I had no idea he had anything to do with those two things before the war. Very interesting.

So here is the lineage that I have gotten from the family and used for joining the Sons of Confederate veterans.

You have me-Then there is my mother Becky (given name Amos)-My grandmother Reda Amos ( her given name Poulton. Her mother gave her up for adoption when she was young). My grandmother’s mother’s name was Gladys Delaney.

Glady’s mother’s name was Mary Elizabeth Jackson Delaney. Her father was Franklin Jackson. His father was William Jackson.

William Jackson’s mother was Mildred Garnett Jackson. Her father was Captain William Garnett and his father was James Garnett.

Captain William Garnett was a half brother to General Robert S. Garnett’s father Muscoe Garnett.

This would make Robert S. Garnett my half first cousin six times removed.

Captain William Garnett’s half brother Muscoe had another son, William Henry Garnett, who was the father of Richard Garnett. Richard would be my half Second Cousin five times removed.

Granted, it’s a little bit of a lose connection but it’s a connection. Families get pretty twisted in their lineage farther you get down the line.

Interestingly enough, I am also relate to Robert E. Lee and Lewis Armistead.

My dad and I often talk about the perception of history. Someone says something, one or two people hear it and pretty soon it morphs into something that it might not have been. I think that the story of Garnett has morphed into something over the years. You have the eyewitness accounts of his death I spoke of the last time. You have a lot of conflict on the manner in which he died (You know the movie Gettysburg made a lot of people think that Garnett was blown off his horse in a hail of cannon fire and pretty soon that opinion became popular with Civil War buffs and even some Civil War experts). Totally not true I think.

The whole issue with how Garnett looked is interesting. You have the photo that is typically used to describe him (the one that shows a standing solider with dark hair and a beard. The one that they use in the movie Gettysburg is the one people this is an actual photo of him). Then you have the photo that surfaced a little while ago of a blonde man with the name R. Garnett on the back of it. That has been purported to possibly be Garnett. I am not really sure how he looked. Some of what I have read says he had dark hair and a beard. That was from some eyewitness at Gettysburg.

The book that I talked about above discusses (I believe it was this book I can’t find it off hand right now so I can’t confirm that’s where I read it) but I read something about a lawsuit regarding a painting of Garnett in a building in Virginia (maybe a courthouse). It was brought about by a relative of Garnett’s I believe. Do you know anything about that? If I can find the book I can get more information about it.

I have a lot of information about Richard Garnett that I have collected over the years. What I don’t have a lot of information on is on Robert. Is your book just about Richard or do you touch on Robert as well?

Once again, I am sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Bryan

E_just_E likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)