Reinforcing Sickles

On July 2:
XII Corps is on Culp Hill
I & XI on Cemetery Hill or nearby
II Corps on Cemetery Ridge
VI Corps not yet arrived (some just arriving?)
III southern cemetery ridge to LRT then moved westward

Where was V Corps? Arriving? Reserve?

Wasn't Sedgwick's VI Corps almost 1/5 of the entire AOTP? Without them Meade didn't have many men to spare, especially with I & XI chewed up on July 1.

IF Meade was slow to realize Sickles predicament it may have something to do not only with miscommunication, but with Meade not imaging Sickles would have done something so dangerous and insubordinate until he saw it for himself.

As I recall Sickles sent several messages to Meade requesting his presence, Meade finally sent Hunt over to take a look. Perhaps Meade should've inspected his left in person; if nothing else he could've made it clear to Sickles that he could not advance.

i said you'd say that. yeah he can leave them. build that proper line for sickles to collapse on.

Meade would be callous beyond belief, not to mention incredibly short sighted, if he left an entire corps of his army to be annihilated without doing something to help them.

On July 2:
XII Corps is on Culp Hill
I & XI on Cemetery Hill or nearby
II Corps on Cemetery Ridge
VI Corps not yet arrived (some just arriving?)
III southern cemetery ridge to LRT then moved westward

Where was V Corps? Arriving? Reserve?

Wasn't Sedgwick's VI Corps almost 1/5 of the entire AOTP? Without them Meade didn't have many men to spare, especially with I & XI chewed up on July 1.

IF Meade was slow to realize Sickles predicament it may have something to do not only with miscommunication, but with Meade not imaging Sickles would have done something so dangerous and insubordinate until he saw it for himself.

The Fifth Corps was positioned a few hundred yards behind where the Third Corps was supposed to be.

Evidently Sickles thought there was room, or didn't care. And Meade knew he was a loose cannon, a non professional and was nervous. I think Meade's presence would've helped.

Sickles was well aware his move was against orders which was why he asked everyone who would listen if he could or should move forward. The only thing that saves Sickles is that he is wounded and gets to be the first to tell the story in Washington.

Meade's presence would probably not have changed anything.

Ryan

Gen. Hunt met Sickles at the peach orchard around eight thirty. buford will leave around ten am and sickles is building his new line. hunt will speak to meade by ten. meade can now move towards sickles but doesn't.

Back