Recent Gettysburg Then and Now Photos

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
Here are a few then and now photos I took on my last trip out a couple of weeks ago.

Forney Farm, First Day's field, then and now.

Forney then.JPG

Forney now.JPG

Could you tell me what monument that is so I can locate it. We're going to focus on the first day's battle on our 4th visit and want to locate this. Just love the before and afters!!
Thanks
Bob

That's the 9th NY Cavalry monument, on Buford Avenue, near Mummasburg Pike. Enjoy your day one tour!

As far as dates for the "then" photos, for the Forney farm it's the 1930s, the Culp's Hill pic it's the 1880s, and for the Slaughter Pen, it's around the end of the 19th century (before about 1915 because the electric trolley tracks are there in front of the building, which is Tipton's photo studio). Those are approximates.

As far as dates for the "then" photos, for the Forney farm it's the 1930s, the Culp's Hill pic it's the 1880s, and for the Slaughter Pen, it's around the end of the 19th century (before about 1915 because the electric trolley tracks are there in front of the building, which is Tipton's photo studio). Those are approximates.
Thanks! I hadn't spotted the trolley tracks until you mentioned them.

Oh, that photo never fails to stop me cold, Confederate dead, Union dead- someone's husband, son, brother- you read the papers of the era, a lot of people are still in H**l by the time that photo was taken, knowing their loved one's regiment was at this terrible battle they've been hearing of, not having heard whether or not they were numbered in the rows laying there.

Pam, is that your bag out drying in the sun, lower right hand side? sorrysorrysorrysorry sorrysorrysorrysorry

Oh, that photo never fails to stop me cold, Confederate dead, Union dead- someone's husband, son, brother- you read the papers of the era, a lot of people are still in H**l by the time that photo was taken, knowing their loved one's regiment was at this terrible battle they've been hearing of, not having heard whether or not they were numbered in the rows laying there.

Pam, is that your bag out drying in the sun, lower right hand side? sorrysorrysorrysorry sorrysorrysorrysorry

Yes, it is. Notice, no coffee stains--it was before you and I met!:smile:

Back