1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Reason for Civil War Discharge

Discussion in 'New Recruits Meet & Greet Area' started by ijoeboy, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ijoeboy

ijoeboy Cadet

I found a record on Footnote for my GreatGrandfather, Allen McGraw, Private Company C,
    8th Georgia Volunteer Infantry. It stated:

Discharged Apr 24/62
    S.O. 94 A.G.O. 62 Par 12 on S.C.D.

I think this means "standing order 94, Adjutant Genrals Office. Paragraph 12".

Does the "SCD" mean "service connected disability or death"?

Hopefully, someone on this forum can give ne information that I have sought for several years.

Thanks......Milton McGrath in Ocala, Florida

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Someone will know, ijoeboy. Might have to wait until later tonight. Lot's of people are working today. And welcome to the board. (You wouldn't maybe have brought a keg to the campfire?)
  4. max

max Corporal

ijoeboy, a big welcome to the group from North Carolina
  5. johan_steele

johan_steele Lt. Colonel Retired Moderator

It is Syphillitic Chronic Disability.
  6. Union_Buff

Union_Buff Captain Forum Host

Hi there ijoeboy and welcome :smile:
  7. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

I don't see an emoticon indicating that you were just joshing. You're serious?
  8. johan_steele

Deadly serious, I've seen the reference from several discharges over the years. In Nashville there was one hospital set aside specifically for men who had various STD's. Syphillis was untreatable at the time and had varying degrees of devestation to the human body, for some it was lethal in fairly short order, others lived long enough to pass it on to their children. I've read of a 90 year old woman who went to her grave as a silent sufferer courtesy of her husband (an ACW vet), who she may have murdered after she found out he had given it to her. All of her daughters were sterile because of it, her son fathered a daughter who had problems because of it.

Today "Black Syphillis" is treated immediete quarantine and visit by the sufferer to an island in the Pacific where they go to die.

Syphillis was NASTY. And the plethera of houses of ill repute frequented by soldiers of both sides spread various VD's like fire. Nashville had such houses all over the place, Richmond had more than a dozen.

Many surgeons wouldn't detail a STD in their discharge papers in an effort to spare the soldier others however would be so bad as to send a note to the local newspaper detailing why the soldier had been discharged.

SCD may have another reference but I've seen it in both US & CS hospital records in reference to Syphillis.

9. M E Wolf

M E Wolf Brigadier General Moderator

IJoyboy/Milton McGrath,

I look forward to your future postings here and in many of the forums here. I must warn you though; there will be times the software will net a naughty word or more. It will appear in your post as a ***** . Moderators have no control over it but; if you do find a word that triggers the ****, private message CivilWarTalk or Ami, so they can tinker with the word filter. Until the word is added to the ok list, for example; if you see a word you know is innocent, like fu-rt-her or, General C-um-mings and or ship's s-cr-ew; as exampled, just go back to your original post, hit the edit button and insert a few well placed hyphens if you will, and private message CivilWarTalk or Ami--the CWT List Owners. [Can be contacted by going to your Inbox (messages file), scroll down to the "Send New Message," and explain the problem, where you posted and post # if you can. That way they can find the troublemaker word real fast.

Another thing we're finding; is that some names are shared by other states, same with roads. So, if you will - when you are talking about Arlington, please denote which one-- Arlington, Virginia, Arlington, Texas, etc. Columbia Pike, is another common road term; so it would help to know where this road is--Virginia or elsewhere. That way, we're able to follow your topic/words/comments and observations.

Please know there are no quotas but, certainly want to hear from you.

Post when you feel comfortable in doing so and at your own speed.

References are wonderful if you have them. It is great to go to the same book, page and read as another poster has; to read all of what that page has to offer. I like official records myself. So, I post all the information I can as to share.

Personal opinions and comments are welcomed also. So, don't feel this forum requires only references as to post comments about, but it would be appreciated having somewhere stated that it is an opinion.

Respectfully submitted,
    M. E. Wolf
  10. M E Wolf

M E Wolf Brigadier General Moderator

Medical/Surgical History--Part III, Volume I
    Chapter I.--On The Medical Statistics Of The War.
    I.--Sickness And Mortality Among The U. S. Forces.
    TABLE II.
    Showing the Comparative Frequency of, and Mortality from, the Diseases that prevailed among the White Troops of the U. S. Army during the period from May 1, 1861, to June 30, 1866, and among the Colored Troops during the period from July 1, 1863, to June 30, 1866.
    C Cases per 1,000 of mean strength.
    D Deaths per 1,000 of mean strength.

WHITE TROOPS. COLORED TROOPS.
    DISEASES. C D C D C D C D

Syphilis, Gonorrhoea and Orchitis 423.85 .29 33.69 1.05 233.22 .50 23.56 1.16

-------------------------------------------
    TABLE III.
    Showing by Average Annual Rates per 1,000 of mean strength the Comparatire Frequency of, and Mortality from, the Diseases that prevailed among the White and Colored Troops of the U. S. Army.
    WHITE TROOPS. COLORED TROOPS.
    DISEASES. Cases. Deaths. Cases. Deaths.
    Average annual rate for all diseases 2,434.64 53.48 3,298.96 143.4
    [excerpt]
    Syphilis, Gonorrhoea and Orchitis 82.04 .06 77.74 .17
    -----------------------------------
  11. bama46

bama46 Captain

Alabamian, living behind enemy lines in Illinois
    Google the Tuskeegee Syphyllis experment to read a gastly study perpeputated by the US government on black men with syphillis. this lasted from 1932 until 1974. The scandal reached the US Surgeon General. Thi shappened in Alabama but it was a FEDERAL program.
  12. johan_steele

One of the most hideous scientific experiments in US history; no excuses & no forgiveness for such.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)