1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Racist Artifact Museum

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by unionblue, Apr 20, 2012.

1. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. kholland

kholland Brigadier General Moderator Trivia Game Winner Forum Host

Not exactly my cup of tea. But someone will go there.

4. BillO

BillO 1st Lieutenant

I probably wouldn't go cause I'd start giggling when I got to the tree and they would throw me out.

5. RobertP

RobertP Captain

The Jim Crow Museum of Racism Memorabilia. I thought we were 50 years past the Jim Crow era, yet anti-Obama tee shirts are featured. Someone needs to remind the collector that we have a black President and that those shirts are pretty mild compared to some that depicted GW Bush? Sounds more like politics to me.

Race baiters gonna bait. Black visitors will get angry. White vistors with no connection at all will look appropriately appalled while wringing their hands. And the beat goes on.

6. jpeter

jpeter 1st Lieutenant Retired Moderator

The George Bush monkey-thing wasn't racial.

Anti-Obama t-shirt with a cartoonish monkey and an election T-shirt that says "Any White Guy" is pretty much racial bigotry no matter how you slice it.

Racism dictated American policies for at least 200 years. It happened to the Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, and it happens to Hispanics. It's part of our heritage. So if racism is a big part of American history, why is a museum on racism considered "race-baiting"? You make it sound like the less we talk about race, the better.

Lee, James B White and diane like this.
  7. jpeter

Why would you giggle in a racist artifact museum at a tree with a noose on it?

ExNavyPilot and Karen Lips like this.
  8. diane

diane Colonel Forum Host

Jpeter,

This is something I've been noticing in the last few years. Seems, at least to a certain segment of the country, that racism is increasingly applied only to blacks as practiced by only whites. I can make a museum like that about Indians that would turn up your toes - but I've never seen anyone do this, or any Indians do it, or want to. Is racism being redefined as meaning whites vs blacks, blacks being the eternal victims? Have you noticed no one seems to be sufficiently outraged about, say, Chinese exclusionary laws and lynchings to make a museum of it? Catholics? Japanese farmers?

Does such a specific museum have a real place?

9. jpeter

Frankly, I would like to think that ONLY way to have such a museum is to cover the actual nature of American history as it pertains to white authority.

The actual definition of "white" has to be explored in context (as does the word racism)

If a museum is color-bound by discussing black racism, then they're doing a disservice to American history. If this is a museum of "racist artifacts" we might find a preponderance of artifacts meant to inflict pain on blacks, but there should be no shortage of other types of artifacts for Native Americans or Chinese. To me, it makes more sense (and is less divisive) to take in the total cumulative understanding of racism in American history.

10. RobertP

RobertP Captain

So that makes it OK, and throw some Hitler mustaches in for kicks.

I thought the exhibit was Jim Crow racism, excuse me.

JP, where are the museums for Native American, Jewish, Chinese, Irish, Eastern European and Hispanic racism?

And how many White, Hispanic and Asian people do you think are going to visit that museum? Very few, so what's its real purpose? How many CNN programs on 'Black in America' do you have to watch before you say, 'I get it, OK.' With all due respect, apparently you can't get enough of it.

Lazy Bayou likes this.
  11. jpeter

Robert, I think I dealt with your last comment above.

I don't really care who visits it. I respect the right to discuss racism in America culture, past and present. It was big part of American history.

You just seem to have an attitude against discussing it at all.

12. diane

diane Colonel Forum Host

That was my next question! There's been a lot of discrimination against whites who are a wee few shades too dark - as if they might have non-white. Arabs, Greeks, southern Italians, Basques etc. (Edgar Allan Poe had a problem with his 'dark' looks - he decided he was Italian but his real fear was that he was black!) So, do you then get down to WASP authority?

13. Bob Owen

Bob Owen Captain Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Something to keep dividing the races in America and try to give minorities the excuse to riot and loot businesses. The core black groups that are run by the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons and the reverand Wrights ,etc. do not want racial divide to go away. They make too much money on the issue.

Lazy Bayou likes this.
  14. jpeter

I think two things really.

I think English understanding of color was predominately one-dimensional by the 17th century. The Age of Exploration generated and fostered those racist attitudes... as the English visited tropical islands of Polynesia, Melanesia, etc... .The country was orginally founded with the idea that the English should be ruling those people who were "less white" and\or non-Christian.

I think both Native American racism and Black rationalization racism, slavery, and Jim Crow should have their own sub-headings in such a museum as they were particularly nuanced and drawn our for hundreds of years..

15. jpeter

That has nothing to do with American history or a museum about racism. It's sounds like an emotional hot-button for you personally, but I won't steer the thread in that direction.

You might consider reviewing recent headlines though.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-04-19/...hooting-spree-three-bomb-attacks?_s=PM:EUROPE

16. diane

diane Colonel Forum Host

Jpeter,

Thanks! I'd never really thought about that origin and I have to say it's a bit ironic. A lot of Indians thought the white people needed the same governance. Somebody ought to help these folks...! :O o:

17. jpeter

That made me laugh.

Robert, I certainly make no apologies for thinking race in American history is a huge theme. I think most people are afraid to touch the subject out of guilt or anger, but that doesn't mean we should sweep it under the carpet as if it's not part of our heritage. It is. A museum on the subject is perfectly legitimate as a historical presentation in my opinion.

I don't believe we shut down parts of our history just because we're a little afraid that evaluating it will disturb our social order.

18. James B White

James B White 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner Member of the Month

From the article linked in the OP, it sounds as if the museum grew out of the founder's personal interest in collecting anti-black racist artifacts. I don't think one can read too much more into the motivation than that, other than the fact that he also thinks the racist views they promoted were wrong. Even if he were a virulent racist himself and trying to honor the original people who made the objects, most who visited the museum would still react with the idea that racism is bad; that's just the demographics of today. To expect the museum to include other things, or not exist at all, would be like saying a gun collector had to include slingshots when he opened a museum to showcase his collection, lest he give a distorted picture of weaponry, or that he shouldn't open a museum at all, lest he glorify violence.

People collect stuff. They can branch out if they want, but there's always going to be a line they'll have to draw somewhere, and leave other items for other people to collect.

19. jpeter

Yep, that's really a better example. I'm looking for a particular museum, but you're right, it's really perfectly acceptable for a collector to start a museum of anything.

20. RobertP

RobertP Captain

The collector turned it into a museum with the help of the Detroit utility company DTE, who no doubt wanted to score brownie points with federal regulators. Any reasonable person would think that burned out city would have more pressing charitable needs than displaying Mammy dolls and Little Black Sambo books. But that's just my opinion.

It's on my bucket list.

21. Glorybound

Glorybound Major Retired Moderator

The museum is named the 'Jim Crow Museum of Racisim.." so I wouldn't expect it to contain any memorabilia that would be connected with racism towards Indians, Chinese, Japanese etc, though I think it's a shame that these other ethnic groups were not included in a more well-rounded, comprehensive display about racism in America. Clearly the museum is designed to showcase only a certain part of racism in America, and perhaps to target a specific audience, which of course is the prerogative of the school. Just my thoughts.

Lee

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)