Quick Question About a Replica Union Saber

Dirt5o8

Cadet
Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me a hand.

A few years ago I was stationed in Georgia and visited Fort Pulaski in Savannah. I impulse-bought a civil war replica saber. I basically forgot about it for years and just recently found it in a closet. I was looking at it today and something seemed a bit off. I did a quick google image search and I think I found what it is.
SC24J.jpg

9w122.jpg

br7Ku.jpg

I think that the scabbard is Confederate. Like I said, I only did a google search but this same metal design kept showing up as CSA. I love solving little mysteries like this. Am I on the right track here?

from what I see, its a poor replica of an 1850 foot officers sword. (a saber would more curved) The correct scabbard or this would be a leather or blued steel scabbard with brass mountings, drag, and throat. The plain steel scabbard is correct for an M1860 light Cavalry saber. The plain steel scabbard like this is common with cheaper copies. Hope this helps

Thanks much. I figured it was a cheap copy being only $35, was hoping they would have been a little more on target though, considering where I bought it. Oh well, "mystery" solved.

Back