Question regarding sounds of weapons

eyoll

Cadet
Does anyone know how loud Civil War cannons were. I'm interested in particular how loud the cannons at Harper's Ferry were and how far away someone could hear them firing. Does anyone know of a website or source of information about the sounds of Civil War weapons? Thanks. :cannon:

-Eric

Eyoll-Eric,

You know that is one of the most excellent questions I've read in a long time!

Just how loud where those things? What could one compare it to, nowadays? I've never been in the military so have not had the pleasure of firing a cannon or the like, but I'd imagine that today's 'cannons' would sound differnet from those during the CW.

Let our ordinance experts give this a shot.

Reenactors don't use a real load, so would imagine the sound is different. Even then, it makes a pretty good rip-snortin' teeth-rattlin' thump (as opposed to a crack!)

How far away they could be heard is a whole 'nother matter as topopgraphy and weather conditions played a large part. Twenty miles is not out of the question, given the topography and weather conditions. There are a number of instances where they couldn't be heard 2 miles away due to an "accoustic shadow." (Sound waves are absorbed by foliage and/or deflected by solid obstructions or atmospheric conditions.) I'd guess 10 miles didn't take ideal conditions and might be about normal.

Harper's Ferry was well shielded on the north and east. I'm suspecting you were wondering if they could hear it from South Mountain or Fox's Gap. I recollect reading that Jackson's assault could be heard from Fox's Gap. How far that is in air miles, I don't know.
Ole
Ole

IIRC the modern re-enactor is only using a 1/3 -2/3 charge depending upon the gun and no cannon ball or shell. So there is less compression and thus less bang. That said a lot would depend upon the environment, atmospheric pressure, raining or not etc. Regardless, a battery of guns going w/ great enthusiasm would have been a rather earth shattering experiance... and likely quite scary to be on the receiving end of.

Two shots a minute x 4-6 guns; a regular roll of man made thunder... now imagine Ruggles grand battery (better than 50 guns) or the barrage at Gettysburg. There is documentation that barrage was heard over 100 miles away.

I know I know!

we do n-ssa shooting, we use a real shell, although the load is not as high as was used in the war, due to safety.

but they are very loud. We have a parrot that we shoot, and it is quite loud, although some of the smoothbores can make you jump right out of you skin!

when we don't go down to watch the competition, I guess we are probably 300 yrds away back at the campers, and it sounds like loud rumbling, I guess you might be able to hear it from a couple of miles away.

But Mike would deffinatly be better able to answer your question, he has been doing this for much longer than I, and he actually gets to work the gun, where I get to hold the darn flags... sigh...

anyway, I will have him check out this thread, but to keep you occupied in the mean time you can check out our battery website www.1njla.com

Ami

All I can offer is an anecdote about a small event I went to, in a city park, with one half-size reproduction cannon... the "bang" set off car alarms all over the neighborhood!

Zou

PINCKNEYUSMCRET said:
Surely some re enactors could say. Don't they use cannon?I would imagine they would sound different than todays weapons since they used black powder and cannon balls instead of shells.

Pinckney

Not trying to pe pickey but I think it is relative to the discussion. Civil war cannon did use explosive shells, which would have contributed to the noise.

I know from personal experience that one CW 3 inch ordnance rifle using a half charge and not shotted can be heard from over a mile away.

Being an old Navy gunner on 3 inch 50 Cal. (not the same as rifle cal.) weapons, the loudest in terms of the gun crews at the time since they wern't in turrets. (I really wouldn't want to be on deck around eight inch or sixteen inch guns firing) I can testify that they don't sound the same in terms of the report of the gun on firing. The older guns have a deep boom the modern guns have a crack. They are all loud.

In terms of sustanined racket, I think that it would take a pretty good group of CW guns to equal my twin mount which could fire upwards of 100 rounds per min.

Doug,
My uncle Joe was on a cruiser in WWII, and they went to action stations in response to a kamikazi. He was on a 40mm AA crew and was rushing to his station when the 8 inch fired, knocking him off his feet, and damaging his hearing. His noise suppressors weren't where they were supposed to be, and I believe his hearing loss began at that time.

This is a little off topic, but weren't there cases of "Acoustical Shadow" when nearby shooting couldn't be heard, while more distant firing could?

Yeah, Navy hearing protection was still pretty crude in the 1960s. I draw disability for nerve deafess as a result of arty fire.

How loud is loud?

My cannon crew fires a six pounder, no projectile, ordinary powder charge is 8 ounces. From the side of the muzzle (my usual position as wormer), it's so loud that I have to cover my ears, yawn, - and it's still unpleasant.

I can't even comprehend what a battery of cannon - say, 32 pounders, each firing 10 - 12 pound powder charges - must sound like! :frown:

Capt. Coxetter

During the Civil War acoustic shadow was reported at Gaines's Mill, Fort Donelson, Seven Pines, Iuka, Perryville, Chancellorsville and Five Forks.
Acoustic shadow is the result of a number of factors affecting the transmission of battle sounds. Among the factors thought to create this effect are; Absorbtion of sound by foliage or land mass, Upward refraction of sound do to temperature differences in the air, Upward refraction of sound due to wind shear.

Charles D Ross did a very interesting examination of acoustic shadow in his book, "Civil War Acoustic Shadows."

Regards, Dave Gorski

Sound of Civil War cannon

You can go to -you tube - and key in - cannon civil war - and find some demonstrations of field artillery.

Note that these are reduced charges with no shell, so the noise is less. Also note that unlike the actually civil war firings, the recoil does not force the wheels to move to the rear.

Some cannon used one pound of powder; the Dahlgren XI cannon aboard the U.S.S. Monitor used 15 pounds of powder per shot. Later it was increased, through experiment and proofing to 30 pounds.

Remember the modern demonstrations are at reduced noise levels.

Suggestion: trot out Gettysburg and key to the Confederate salvo on Cemetary Ridge. Turn up the volume until the windows rattle and you can't stand it. Triple that discomfort and you might be getting close to the actual sound.
Ole

I'm sure I heard somewhere...............

.............that the Reb barrage which preceeded Pickett's Glorious charge, was the loudest man made sound that has ever been heard in the US.

Does anyone know if that is true?:confused:

Just a D**n shame it didn't work!:frown:

ole said:
Reenactors don't use a real load, so would imagine the sound is different. Even then, it makes a pretty good rip-snortin' teeth-rattlin' thump (as opposed to a crack!)

Harper's Ferry was well shielded on the north and east. I'm suspecting you were wondering if they could hear it from South Mountain or Fox's Gap. I recollect reading that Jackson's assault could be heard from Fox's Gap. How far that is in air miles, I don't know.
Ole
Ole
I have heard reenactors cannons and they were loud. On a trip to Fox's Gap at South Mountain using my great-grandfather's diary I was able to find the area where he was wounded. He had described a ravine with dead Confederate troops in it near where he entered the woods from the NW corner of the field. My wife felt a presence when walking this spot near the ravene.

Aye!

SpiritofPickett said:
.............that the Reb barrage which preceeded Pickett's Glorious charge, was the loudest man made sound that has ever been heard in the US.

Does anyone know if that is true?

Just a D**n shame it didn't work!

Very true! :laugh1: :lee:

Capt. Coxetter

SpiritofPickett said:

Does anyone know if that is true?:confused:

Just a D**n shame it didn't work!:frown:

No. it isn't true. Was eclipsed several times in the 20th Century. Wee explosions out at Los Alamos...

Back