Question: Col. Stephen Thruston, 3rd NC State Troops

Bruce Vail

Captain
Hello All,

I'm trying to find out if Col. Stephen Thruston of the 3rd NC State Troops left any sort of memoir or account of his service in the Army of Northern Virginia?

In Moore's, the chapter on the 3rd credits Thruston's "account" for material on the unit's experiences at Antietam and Spotsylvania Court House, which causes me to wonder whether there is a more complete account out there somewhere.

Can any of the CWT folks give me some advice and guidance on how to track this down?

Best,
Bruce

Hello All,

I'm trying to find out if Col. Stephen Thruston of the 3rd NC State Troops left any sort of memoir or account of his service in the Army of Northern Virginia?

In Moore's, the chapter on the 3rd credits Thruston's "account" for material on the unit's experiences at Antietam and Spotsylvania Court House, which causes me to wonder whether there is a more complete account out there somewhere.

Can any of the CWT folks give me some advice and guidance on how to track this down?

Best,
Bruce
Is it not listed in the bibliography? It should be, if he's using it as a source. You might want to start with the North Carolina Archives or the Nation Archives.

Is it not listed in the bibliography? It should be, if he's using it as a source. You might want to start with the North Carolina Archives or the Nation Archives.

I was not aware there was a bibliography.

By the way, I made a mistake. The regimental history I was referring to is included in The Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina, edited by Walter Clark (1901). I don't see any bibliography in the on-line version.

Thanks, Captain.

I was not aware there was a bibliography.

By the way, I made a mistake. The regimental history I was referring to is included in The Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina, edited by Walter Clark (1901). I don't see any bibliography in the on-line version.

Thanks, Captain.
Okay, I assumed that this was a more modern book. Still it wouldn't hurt to check those archives I mentioned.

There may not be a full account. It's very likely that Colonel Thruston was responding by letter to inquiries from the authors which the authors chose not to publish fully. Much of what is known of the Battle of Sharpsburg / Antietam is the result of the painstaking efforts of Ezra Carman who corresponded with anyone he could that had knowledge of troop positions and battle events. I suspect that many of the North Carolina regimental histories were composed in similar manner.

After the war (1872) Thruston relocated to Dallas TX where he died in 1906. I would check to see if documents are available in Texas or in any papers left by Captains Cowan and Metts.

Back