Question About Battlefield Visit

Moonshiner

Corporal
In a little over a week, I will be going to Gettysburg. I recently found out that my G-G Grandfather fought at the battle of Monocacy in nearby Frederick, Maryland. He was taken prisoner and was held in several prisons including Libby prison in Richmond.

I would like to honor him somehow when we visit Monocacy, but I am unsure what would be considered proper and acceptable. Would laying a flower on the battlefield be okay or is there rules and protocol against something like that?

If not, do you have a suggestion on how I can honor him there?

Last edited:
That's a wonderful sentiment @Moonshiner If you know what Regiment he was in, I would think it appropriate to leave the flower or perhaps a flag at the State, Brigade or Regimental Monument. It could be a state flag from his home state or a US/Confederate National flag depending upon which side the ancestor fought.

There is a relatively new visitor center at Monocacy if you want to learn more about the unit and/or their guidelines. OTOH I am a firm believer that ignorance is often bliss. :D

Last summer I had the honor of visiting my ancestor's grave in Alexandria, LA and stuck a small American flag next to the headstone. If you know where your G-G-Grandfather is buried, that would be a good way to honor him.

He was in the 126th Ohio, but there is no monument there. I do have a map of where the 126th was located on the battlefield, and thought about placing a flower on the ground in that area.... I dunno though.

The 126th Ohio has a monument at the Bloody Angle at Spotsylvania. It's a shame you can't make it down there.

He was in the 126th Ohio, but there is no monument there. I do have a map of where the 126th was located on the battlefield, and thought about placing a flower on the ground in that area.... I dunno though.

We other descendants of soldiers in the 126th OVI will be cheering you on if you do! HUZZAH!!

Back