Question about Ammunition Resupply during battle

JCM6395

Sergeant
I've been wondering when an infantry regiment was involved in a fight....how far back were their ammo supply wagons? Did they keep them 1/4 mile back or was that too close? Also...what kind of system did they have in getting the ammo supplies to the regiment. Did they pick out a couple privates who ran the ammo to the line? Just wondering how they kept the flow of ammo going without the wagons taking fire.

Only speculation but think ammunition trains location was based on the longest range of available enemy artillery and available cover and concealment. What was the range of a 3 inch ordnance rifle or 10 pounder parrot?

At regimental level the ordnance sergeant was responsible for resupply and he would travel by wagon to pick up ammunition and then return to an easily accessible location that provided cover and concealment and resupply the regiment.

Commanders at all levels probably used a duty unit to assist. A company would be detailed to assist with manpower in resupply operations and the duty unit could be a regiment at division or army level. An example: In the Army of the Potomac, Henry Hunt first had an infantry company assigned to provide local security for the Artillery Reserve. Later he had an entire regiment assigned. In addition to security, no doubt this regiment (from Massachusetts, I forget the number) no doubt assisted in breaking down ammunition for distribution to battery ammunition parties.

For the record, one formula used during the period for transportation requirements was 500 wagons for an army of 40,000 men. The base of a field army could be 6-15 miles behind the army. Also seem to remember someone mentioning that the A of P used 600 tons of ammunition during the Richmond campaign of 1862.

I have read some accounts that talk about a squad-sized details being sent back to ther rear during lulls in battle for ammo resupply. I'm sure it was different for every situation.

At Vicksburg, for instance, I'm certain that they were so well established in there positions that they had a great system going. They probably had a huge ammo dump outside the calulated range of enemy canon, as Mr. Ronan said. Inside the fortified city or redoubt, considering that the entire area was in range of enemy guns, they most likely had a bomb-proof magazine.

In a moving campaign, such as the Overland Campaign, I'm sure that it was a free for all when it came to ammo. I'd imagine that you got it when you could and carried as much as you could.

Anyone know what the weight of a full battle load of .58 cal ammo would be?

I've been wondering when an infantry regiment was involved in a fight....how far back were their ammo supply wagons? Did they keep them 1/4 mile back or was that too close? Also...what kind of system did they have in getting the ammo supplies to the regiment. Did they pick out a couple privates who ran the ammo to the line? Just wondering how they kept the flow of ammo going without the wagons taking fire.

It all depended on the situation. In some battles, whole regiments would be relieved and sent back to the wagons to refill their cartridge boxes and get some rest before moving back up. In other cases, a few men would go back and grab some boxes of ammo to bring up to the regiment while the battle was still going on.

As for distances to the wagon train, again, it would depend on the situation. It would have to be near enough for units to reissue ammo and be able to move back to the line in a timely manner but not so close as to make the wagons too vulnerable.

R

Back