Pvt. John Alden Lockley,23rd Alabama Infantry Regiment,CSA.

The name "John Lockley" appears as #47 on the Alabama,Confederate Pension and Service Records,1862-1947,Confederate Pension Records,Marshall County. The Ancestry.com page where I found that record says he was a resident of Marshall County in 1897:

View attachment 115852
Very good news! John survived the war and later on received an Alabama Confederate Pension....for a minute there I thought he had not made it out alive! Most Lockleys lived around Tallapoosa & Macon County,Ala back then...... I believe Co.B had many men from Macon...... I guess that settles this little mystery. I am grateful for your help.

You had an ancestor in the 3rd.US Volunteers? A galvanized Yankee?
Yessir. He was a Sgt. in the 6th FLA Inf. He was captured at Dallas,GA in May 1864 and sent to Rock Island Barracks prison. He took the Oath and enlisted in the 3rd US Volunteer Infantry on 10/31/1864.

Yessir. He was a Sgt. in the 6th FLA Inf. He was captured at Dallas,GA in May 1864 and sent to Rock Island Barracks prison. He took the Oath and enlisted in the 3rd US Volunteer Infantry on 10/31/1864.
Good! We have something in common....My ggrandfather Vernons' nephew Elijah Lockley was from Tallapoosa,Ala. and enlisted in Co.C. 55th Ala.Inf.Regt. and promptly captured at Champion Hill,Ms. in 1863.......He was then sent to Ft.Delaware,paroled,went back and rejoined his old unit and was re-captured at Gaylesville,Ala.in 1864..This time he was sent to Camp Douglas,Ill. and on April 6,1865 took the oath and joined the 5th US Volunteers to get out of prison....He was sent to Ft.Kearney,Nebraska where he deserted at the Cottonwood River Crossing,Kansas on June 18,1865...He then hightailed back to Alabama,took up with an older widow with 3 kids in Talladega; sent for his mother Nancy and they all lived together in the widows house from then on...He also found employment as a farm laborer and never assumed an alias. Elijah passed in 1898 still wanted by the Federal Government for desertion.

Good! We have something in common....My ggrandfather Vernons' nephew Elijah Lockley was from Tallapoosa,Ala. and enlisted in Co.C. 55th Ala.Inf.Regt. and promptly captured at Champion Hill,Ms. in 1863.......He was then sent to Ft.Delaware,paroled,went back and rejoined his old unit and was re-captured at Gaylesville,Ala.in 1864..This time he was sent to Camp Douglas,Ill. and on April 6,1865 took the oath and joined the 5th US Volunteers to get out of prison....He was sent to Ft.Kearney,Nebraska where he deserted at the Cottonwood River Crossing,Kansas on June 18,1865...He then hightailed back to Alabama,took up with an older widow with 3 kids in Talladega; sent for his mother Nancy and they all lived together in the widows house from then on...He also found employment as a farm laborer and never assumed an alias. Elijah passed in 1898 still wanted by the Federal Government for desertion.
Near as I can determine the companies of the 3rd US Vol Inf were sent to frontier outposts/forts in Colorado,Nebraska and what is now Wyoming.

Near as I can determine the companies of the 3rd US Vol Inf were sent to frontier outposts/forts in Colorado,Nebraska and what is now Wyoming.
Yes. The 3rd and 5th were sent west to guard the Santa Fe Trail...As far as I know some went to Ft.Laramie,Casper,Leavenworth and others to Ft.Kearney,Buford & Riley. They were spread out all over from Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska,Wyoming. Elijah's 5th US Volunteer record is attached.

Attachments

• Page 5 (9).jpg
    Page 5 (9).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Yes. The 3rd and 5th were sent west to guard the Santa Fe Trail...As far as I know some went to Ft.Laramie,Casper,Leavenworth and others to Ft.Kearney,Buford & Riley. They were spread out all over from Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska,Wyoming.
The 1st, 2nd & 6th US Volunteers were also part of the mix.

Last edited:
Yes. The 3rd and 5th were sent west to guard the Santa Fe Trail...As far as I know some went to Ft.Laramie,Casper,Leavenworth and others to Ft.Kearney,Buford & Riley. They were spread out all over from Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska,Wyoming. Elijah's 5th US Volunteer record is attached.
That is awesome. Where did you find it? I have not been able to find any such record on my ancestor's service in the 3rd US Volunteer Infantry.

That is awesome. Where did you find it? I have not been able to find any such record on my ancestor's service in the 3rd US Volunteer Infantry.
I think the records are on Fold3...I don't have that access,but I got it about December 2015 on Civilwar Talks when I mentioned Elijah while discussing my grandfather James Lockley.....It was on this forum#68.....One of the members who followed my conversation sent it to me....I don't recall who....Wish I could be more help.....I think there is another file on the internet that also has it.....I originally said that my ancestor was at Ft.Kearney...Actually,I think he was at Ft.Leavenworth,Ks. at the time he deserted and was supposed to be discharged at Kearney in 1866,but he slit a year before.

I think the records are on Fold3...I don't have that access,but I got it about December 2015 on Civilwar Talks when I mentioned Elijah while discussing my grandfather James Lockley.....It was on this forum#68.....One of the members who followed my conversation sent it to me....I don't recall who....Wish I could be more help.....I think there is another file on the internet that also has it.....I originally said that my ancestor was at Ft.Kearney...Actually,I think he was at Ft.Leavenworth,Ks. at the time he deserted and was supposed to be discharged at Kearney in 1866,but he slit a year before.
I assumed it was probably from fold3 but I had to ask. :D

Back