Pvt. James Wylie: Wisconsin/Illinois unit change mystery involving Andersonville and Allatoona

Pvt. Wylie

Cadet
I'm researching an ancestor named Private James Harvey Wylie of the Wisconsin 2nd Infantry.

James was born in August 14th, 1864 in McHenry County, Illinois. Before the war he was living in Woodstock, Illinois, but apparently he moved to Walworth County, Wisconsin prior to enlisting in Company B of the Wisconsin 2nd on March 20, 1862 at age 15.

As I'm sure people here are aware of, what was left of the 2nd Wisconsin was eventually merged into the 6th Wisconsin in 1864. James' records say that he transferred to the 6th Wisconsin, Company H, on November 30th, 1864.

I thought that by researching the 2nd/6th Wisconsin I'd have a pretty complete view of what James' war experiences were like. It now seems much more complicated than that.

I was researching James' family in McHenry County Illinois recently when I came across the name "James H. Wylie" on a recently updated list of Prisoners of War from McHenry County.

This was somewhat shocking to me...I'd never seen anything indicating that James was a P.O.W.

This McHenry County James Wylie was of the same age (18 now) and appearance as mine, but had joined Company A of the 15th Illinois Infantry on April 6th, 1864. July 20th he became part of company E of the combined 14th/15th Illinois Veteran Battery. Transferred to Company E, Illinois 15th Infantry Regiment on 24 Mar 1865.Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865.

In this McHenry veteran's index, it lists James Wylie, and says he died 3/15/1926. This is the exact date of death of my James Harvey Wylie. I believe the 15th Illinois James Wylie is the same person as the 2nd/6th Wisconsin James Wylie.

In the Andersonville Prison Database, it says that James was captured at Allatoona on October 5th, 1864. Most of the 15th was taken prisoner at either Big Shanty or Acworth in the events leading up to the battle of Allatoona Pass, but it appears that James was part of the detachment that fought at Allatoona, and was captured there along with nearly about 50 others from Company E.

ecord_id: 42439
Name: WYLIE, JAMES
Year born: 1846
Company: E
Arm: Infantry
Regiment number: 15th Illinois Infantry
Date captured: 10/5/1864
Location captured: Altoona, Georgia
Fate: Sent to Camp Lawton, Millen, Georgia, November 11, 1864. Mustered out June 15, 1865.
Remarks: SENT TO MILLEN: NOV 11, 1864

My question is: If this is the same person, how would this kind of unit change have worked, and why would his Wisconsin war records not mention any of this? Also, how do I go about proving that this is the same person?

In the 15th Illinois, the companies he fought in were McHenry County-specific companies, filled with people from his hometown of Woodstock. Maybe it's possible that he was somehow offered a chance to fight for his hometown unit?

The 2nd Wisconsin detached from it's brigade on May 11, 1864, which is around the time that James would have mustered into the 15th Illinois.

I'm researching an ancestor named Private James Harvey Wylie of the Wisconsin 2nd Infantry.

James was born in August 14th, 1864 in McHenry County, Illinois. Before the war he was living in Woodstock, Illinois, but apparently he moved to Walworth County, Wisconsin prior to enlisting in Company B of the Wisconsin 2nd on March 20, 1862 at age 15.

As I'm sure people here are aware of, what was left of the 2nd Wisconsin was eventually merged into the 6th Wisconsin in 1864. James' records say that he transferred to the 6th Wisconsin, Company H, on November 30th, 1864.

I thought that by researching the 2nd/6th Wisconsin I'd have a pretty complete view of what James' war experiences were like. It now seems much more complicated than that.

I was researching James' family in McHenry County Illinois recently when I came across the name "James H. Wylie" on a recently updated list of Prisoners of War from McHenry County.

This was somewhat shocking to me...I'd never seen anything indicating that James was a P.O.W.

This McHenry County James Wylie was of the same age (18 now) and appearance as mine, but had joined Company A of the 15th Illinois Infantry on April 6th, 1864. July 20th he became part of company E of the combined 14th/15th Illinois Veteran Battery. Transferred to Company E, Illinois 15th Infantry Regiment on 24 Mar 1865.Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865.

In this McHenry veteran's index, it lists James Wylie, and says he died 3/15/1926. This is the exact date of death of my James Harvey Wylie. I believe the 15th Illinois James Wylie is the same person as the 2nd/6th Wisconsin James Wylie.

In the Andersonville Prison Database, it says that James was captured at Allatoona on October 5th, 1864. Most of the 15th was taken prisoner at either Big Shanty or Acworth in the events leading up to the battle of Allatoona Pass, but it appears that James was part of the detachment that fought at Allatoona, and was captured there along with nearly about 50 others from Company E.

Fate: Sent to Camp Lawton, Millen, Georgia, November 11, 1864. Mustered out June 15, 1865.

My question is: If this is the same person, how would this kind of unit change have worked, and why would his Wisconsin war records not mention any of this? Also, how do I go about proving that this is the same person?

In the 15th Illinois, the companies he fought in were McHenry County-specific companies, filled with people from his hometown of Woodstock. Maybe it's possible that he was somehow offered a chance to fight for his hometown unit?

The 2nd Wisconsin detached from it's brigade on May 11, 1864, which is around the time that James would have mustered into the 15th Illinois.

Sixth Infantry WISCONSIN
(3-YEARS)

Sixth Infantry. -- Cols., Lysander Cutler, Edward S. Bragg,
John A. Kellogg, Lieut.-Cols., Julius P. Atwood, Benjamin J.
Sweet, Rufus. R. Dawes, Thomas Kerr, Majs., John F. Hauser,
Philip W. Plummer, Dennis B. Dailey.

This regiment was organized at Camp Randall Madison, in July,
1861, mustered into the U. S. service on the 16th and left the
state for Washington on the 28th. It arrived at Washington on
Aug. 7, was immediately assigned to King's brigade and went
into camp on Meridian Hill.

It remained there until Sept. 3, when it marched, with the
brigade, to Chain bridge and was employed in picket and guard
duty at Camp Lyon until it was joined by the 2nd and 7th Wis.
and the 19th Ind. The regiment remained in camp, engaged in
various duties until March, 1862, when it took part in the
advance on Manassas, encamping near Fairfax Court House.

On Aug. 5 an expedition was sent out to destroy the Virginia
Central railroad and the regiment, with a small force of
cavalry and artillery was detached and marched to Frederick's
Hall Station where they destroyed 2 miles of the track, the
depot and other buildings, and rejoined the command at
Spottsylvania Court House.

The regiment went into line at the battle of Gainesville and
fought until darkness put an end to the contest, losing 14
killed or mortally wounded and 46 wounded. The following day
the regiment was present on the battle-field of Bull Run,
where it lost 9 killed and 93 wounded.

It participated in the battle of South Mountain, fighting
during the day and occupying the field all night. In this
engagement the regiment lost 15 in killed and mortally wounded
and 67 were wounded. It was vigorously engaged at Antietam,
the story of which is best told by the casualties, 38 being
killed or died of wounds and 160 were wounded.

The regiment was in the advance of a storming party at
Fitzhugh's Crossing, where it crossed the river in pontoon
boats and charged upon the intrenchments of the enemy. For
its gallantry in this desperate charge the regiment received
special mention in a complimentary order from Gen. Wadsworth.
The list of casualties in this daring exploit show that the
regiment lost 4 killed and 12 wounded.

During the early part of the first day's fighting at
Gettysburg the regiment had been detached as a reserve, but
later it participated in a charge under a terrible fire and
captured a Confederate regiment. Reorganizing the shattered
ranks, the 6th moved forward to the support of a battery in
its front, which position it held until the enemy had pressed
back the lines on the two flanks, when it fell back to the
support of the brigade battery. During the day the regiment
saved the 147th N. Y. volunteers from capture by charging down
upon the enemy who was pursuing it and in conjunction with the
14th Brooklyn drove the Confederates from the field. The loss
of the regiment at the battle of Gettysburg was 30 killed, 116
wounded and 22 missing.

In November it took part in the operations at Mine Run, and
the regiment was successful in preventing the breaking up of a
train belonging to the 5th corps. In December, 227 of the
regiment reenlisted as veterans. It was accordingly remustered
into the service and in January the non-veterans were
temporarily attached to other organizations and the regiment
returned to Wisconsin on veteran furlough

The regiment participated in the battles of the Wilderness
campaign in the spring of 1864. It lost from May 5 to June
10, 44 killed and 110 wounded, and from June 11 to July 1, 17
killed and 31 wounded, which was increased during the
following month by 7 killed and a number wounded.

The regiment fought with its accustomed gallantry at Dabney's
Mill, in Feb. 1865, and lost 18 killed and a larger number
wounded. It took a prominent part in the famous battle of
Five Forks and a few days later had the proud satisfaction of
assisting in the capture of the army of Gen. Lee at Appomattox
Court House.

In the short campaign, from March 29 to April 9, the
casualties in the regiment were 16 killed and a number
wounded. It moved to Black and White's Station, where it
remained in camp until ordered to Washington, arriving there
in time to participate in the grand review, and thence was
ordered to Louisville, where it was mustered out on July 14.

The original strength of the regiment was 1,108; gain by
recruits, reenlistments, drafted men and substitutes, 1,035;
total, 2,143. Losses by death, 322; missing, 7; desertions,
79; transfer, 75; discharged, 513; mustered out, 1,147.

Source: The Union Army, vol. 4

Thanks, I appreciate the information, but in November of 1863, James was still with the 2nd Wisconsin, Company B.

The relevant info from The Union Army, vol.4 for the 2nd is:

The regiment became so reduced in numbers that it was permanently detached from the brigade May 11, 1864, and employed as provost guard of the 4th division, 5th army corps until June 11, when it was sent home, the last company being mustered out July 2, 1864.

The members who joined subsequent to its original organization were organized into an independent battalion of two companies June 11, 1864, under command of Capt. Dennis B. Dailey. The battalion was assigned to provost duty, took part in the advance and assault on Petersburg and the skirmishes at Yellow house, was transferred to the 1st brigade, 3rd division for guard and picket duty; fought at Hatcher's run; and on Nov. 30 was transferred as Cos. G and H to the 6th Wis., with which it remained until mustered out.

As someone relatively new to researching the Civil War in depth, I suppose I'm a bit confused about how transfers and such worked.

Timingwise, it seems to make sense that when the 2nd detached from its brigade, James may have went to the 15th Illinois, but I'm hazy on the specifics.

For example: He's listed as being mustered into the combined 6th Wisconsin on November 30th, but it looks like he would have still been in the Millen P.O.W. camp at that time after being transfered from Andersonville November 11th.

Welcome from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

I'm probably not going to help solve the confusion. Looking at U.S. Civil War Pension Index on Ancestry.com I am finding 2 records. An application for an invalid pension was filed on June 6, 1887 in Kansas showing James Wylie serving in Company B, 2nd Wisconsin and Company H, 6th Wisconsin. A different application for an invalid pension was filed in Minnesota on December 1, 1898, for James Wylie serving in Company E, 15th Illinois and Company E, 14th / 15th Illinois. My guess is Company E in the 15th Illinois was a typo. I don't know how this fits in your family history, but it seems that there were two men named James Wylie.

One note: The 14th / 15th Illinois was an Infantry Battalion, not a battery.
http://civilwar.illinoisgenweb.org/reg_html/015_reg.html

Are we looking at two different men ?

- Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers: War of the Rebellion:

Kames Wylie

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted as a Private (date unknown).

On 11/30/1864 he transferred into "H" Co. WI 6th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 5/19/1865

He also had service in:
"B" Co. WI 2nd Infantry
......................................................................................................

James Wylie

Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 3/20/1862 as a Private.

On 3/20/1862 he mustered into "B" Co. WI 2nd Infantry
He was transferred out on 11/30/1864

On 11/30/1864 he transferred into "H" Co. WI 6th Infantry
(date and method of discharge not given)

Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:
...................................................................................................

- Illinois: Roster of Officers and Enlisted Men

James Wylie

Residence Woodstock IL;
Enlisted on 4/6/1864 as a Private.

On 4/6/1864 he mustered into "A" Co. IL 15th Infantry
He was transferred out on 7/20/1864

On 7/20/1864 he transferred into "E" Co. IL Vet Battn
He was transferred out on 3/24/1865

On 3/24/1865 he transferred into "E" Co. IL 15th Infantry
He was Mustered Out on 6/15/1865
..............................................................................................................

ILLINOIS
FIFTEENTH INFANTRY.
(Three Years)
The Fifteenth Regiment of Illinois Volunteer Infantry was
raised under the "Ten Regiment Act" in the First Congressional
District. Company A was from McHenry county; Company B,
Winnebago county; Company C, Boone county, Company D, McHenry
county; Company G, Stephenson county; Company H, Ogle county,
Company I, .Lake county; and Company K, from Carroll county.
The Regiment was organized at Freeport, Illinois, and mustered
into the.United States service on the 24th day of May, 1861,
being one of the first regiments from the State sworn into the
United States service, for the three years' service. After
electing officers organizing and drilling for some time, the
Regiment proceeded to Alton, Illinois, remaining there six
weeks for instruction. In July the Regiment left Alton by
steamboat for St. Charles, Missouri, thence by rail to Mexico,
Missouri, where it remained for a time in company with the
Twenty-first Illinois Infantry, commanded by Colonel U. S.
Grant. A part of the Regiment marched from Mexico to Fulton,
and thence to the Missouri river, and thence by steamer to
Jefferson Barracks, the other part of the Regiment marched to
Hannibal, Mo., and thence by steamer to Jefferson Barracks.
The Regiment then moved by rail to Rolla, Mo., where it
arrived in time to cover General Sigel's retreat from Wilson's
Creek. After building one or two forts, the Regiment was
ordered to Tipton, Mo., and thence became attached to General
Fremont's army, and marched under General Hunter to
Springfield, Mo.; after remaining there a short time, the
Regiment returned to Tipton, then went to Sedalia. It
assisted in the capture of 1,300 rebels a few miles from the
latter place. The Regiment then marched to Otterville, Mo.,
and went into winter quarters December 26, 1861. The winter
was cold and the snow deep, and the first winter's experience
in tents was a severe one.

February 1,1862, the Regiment marched to Jefferson City,
thence by rail to St. Louis, where it embarked on transports
for Fort Donelson, and arrived to take part in the surrender.
The Regiment was then assigned to General S. A. Hurlburt's
"Fighting Fourth Division" and marched to Fort Henry, then
went by boat to Pittsburg Landing, being one of the first
regiments that landed on that historic battle ground. At the
battle of Shiloh, on the 6th of April, the Regiment was in the
first line of battle, formed by Hurlburt's Division, and was
in the Brigade commanded by General C. Veach. Hardly had the
Brigade taken position when a Confederate column, massed three
lines deep, deployed from the woods on the left and front, and
with rebel yell that echoed through the surrounding forest,
charged on in double quick. The Fifteenth was flanked by the
Fifty third Ohio, on the right. At the first fire of the
enemy the Buckeyes broke and ran, and the enemy were not only
in front of the Fifteenth Regiment, but on both flanks in a
very short time. For more than one hour the Regiment held its
position, and fought as gallantly as any troops could fight in
the terrible struggle, called by the Confederates the
"Hornet's Nest" and disputed inch by inch the advance and the
incessant attacks of the best troops in the Confederate
service. Owing to the want of support, the Regiment was
compelled to withdraw and take up a new position. In five
minutes after the Regiment formed its first line, the field
officers, Lieutenant Colonel E. F. W. Ellis and Major Wm. R.
Goddard, Captains Holden Brownell and Harley Wayne, and
Lieutenant John W. Peterbaugh were killed, and Captain Adam
Nase lost a leg and was taken prisoner. Captain Thos. J.
Turner was absent and the command of the Regiment devolved
upon Captains L. D. Kelly and George C. Rogers, assisted by
Adjutant Charles F. Barber. As soon as a new line was formed
(the Fourteenth Illinois on the left of the Fifteenth), when
the enemy had approached sufficiently near these two
Regiments, acting as one man, rose and delivered a rapid, well
aimed and awfully destructive fire, full into the massed ranks
of the enemy. The enemy was soon convinced this was not the
way to the landing. At the second attack these two Regiments
received the first shock, and for three hours were in that
awful gap, without giving ground, where the Confederates
sacrificed more than two thousand as brave men as ever trod
the battle-field, in the unavailing effort to drive them from
their position. This baptism of blood cemented the two
Regiments, and they were always afterwards brigaded and served
together during the remainder of the war, and discharged at
the same time and place. The Fifteenth Regiment was in the
hottest of the fight both days of the bloody battle, and not a
man faltered in his duty or failed to perform all that was
required of him. The two Regiments that were in the final
charge on the 7th, led by General Grant in person, were the
Fourteenth and Fifteenth Illinois, the Fourteenth commanded by
Colonel Cyrus Hall, and the Fifteenth by Captain George C.
Rogers. This detachment moved forward, and when within range
delivered their fire, and with fixed bayonets charged at
double quick. The raking fire, however, had done its work.
The Confederate army had fled. The Fifteenth Regiment lost in
this engagement 250 men, killed and wounded and there are more
of the "known dead', of this Regiment buried in the National
Cemetery at Pittsburg Landing, than of any other Regiment, and
many died of wounds in hospitals at home.

Captain George C. Rogers was promoted Lieutenant Colonel
by Governor Yates for meritorious conduct on the battle-field
at Shiloh, and took command of the Regiment. The Regiment
participated in the siege of Corinth, Miss., losing a number
of men killed and wounded.

After the evacuation of Corinth the Regiment marched to
Grand Junction, thence to Holly Springs, then back to Grand
Junction, thence to Lagrange, thence to Memphis, arriving
there July 21, 1862,where it remained till September 6th.
After recruiting, drilling, procuring new uniforms and "seeing
the sights", the Regiment marched to Bolivar, Tenn., and from
there the 4th Division was ordered by General Grant to
"relieve Rosecrans at Corinth, or perish". At the Hatchie
river on the morning of October 4, 1862, the division met the
enemy on Metamora Hill; the Fifteenth Regiment was on the
extreme left and forced the enemy from their position and in
connection with other troops charged the enemy, routing and
scattering their formation in the wildest confusion, and
driving them to the river bank, the Fifteenth capturing one
four-gun battery and about three hundred men at this point;
many jumped into the river and were drowned. The Fifteenth
charged across the Hatchie bridge on a run, and formed the
first line on the left of the road; the Fourteenth formed on
the right of the Fifteenth. The two regiments charged the
enemy in the timber, driving them from their strong position,
capturing another battery crowning the crest of the hill, and
soon the enemy was in full flight, looking for a new place to
retreat across the Hatchie. Torn and bleeding the Fifteenth
laid on the ground that night, covered with new and
everlasting honors. The Fifteenth was commanded on that day
by Lieutenant Colonel G. C. Rogers, and lost over fifty men in
killed and wounded. The Regiment then returned to Bolivar,
from thence to Lagrange, thence with General Grant down
through Mississippi to Coffeeville, returning to Lagrange and
Memphis, thence to Vicksburg taking an active part in all the
movements during the siege of that place, losing many in
killed and wounded. After the surrender of Vicksburg, marched
with Sherman to Jackson, Miss., then returned to Vicksburg,
and embarked on a boat for Natchez, marched thence to
Kingston, returned to Natchez, then to Harrisonburg, La.,
capturing Fort Beauregard on the Wachita river; returned to
Natchez, remained there until November 10,1863, then proceeded
by boat to Vicksburg, and went into winter quarters. Here the
Regiment reenlisted as veterans, remaining until February
1,1864, when it moved with General Sherman through
Mississippi. On Champion Hills had a severe engagement with a
body of rebels, charged them several times during the day
and each time drove them from their position. Marched to
Meridian and Enterprise, and assisted in destroying about
fifty miles of railroad; thence back to Vicksburg.

In March, 1864, went home on Veteran furlough. On
expiration of furlough joined Seventeenth Army Corps, and
proceeded up Tennessee river to Clifton , thence to
Huntsville, Ala.; thence to Decatur and Rome, Ga., thence to
Kingston, and joined General Sherman's army, moving on
Atlanta. At Allatoona Pass the Fifteenth Regiment was, with
the other regiments belonging to the 2d Brigade, 4th Division,
17th Corps, commanded by Colonel George C Rogers, ordered to
fortify that place. The forts at Allatoona, where General
Corse, with 2,100 men, defeated Hood,s whole army, were built
by this brigade. Here the Fifteenth and Fourteenth Infantry
were consolidated, and the gallant and brave McPherson knowing
the honorable record of these regiments, and that neither
might lose its identity, acceded to the request of Colonel
Rogers and had the organization made and known as "The Veteran
Battalion Fourteenth and Fifteenth Infantry Volunteers". The
organization numbered 625 men. The organization was stationed
at Ackworth, Big Shanty and Marietta for some time. The rebel
General Hood struck the organization at Big Shanty and
Ackworth, when he moved north, capturing quite a number of the
command. The remainder fell back, some to Allatoona, and
fought under Gen. Corse, where many were killed and wounded;
the balance fell back to Marietta, and were mounted and acted
as scouts for General Vandever. They were afterwards
transferred to General F. P. Blair, and marched with General
Sherman to the sea.

After the capture of Savannah, the Regiment proceeded to
Beaufort, SC; thence to Salkahatchie river, participating in
the various skirmishes in that vicinity--Columbia, SC,
Fayetteville, NC, battle of Bentonville--losing a number
wounded; thence to Goldsboro and Raleigh. At Raleigh,
recruits sufficient to fill up both regiments were received,
and the organization of the Veteran Battalion discontinued,
and the Fifteenth reorganized. The campaign of General
Sherman ended with the surrender of General Johnston. The
Regiment then marched with the army to Washington, D. C., via
Richmond and Fredericksburg, and participated in the grand
review at Washington, May 24, 1865; remained there two weeks.
Proceeded by rail and steamboat to Louisville, KY.; remained
at Louisville two weeks. The Regiment was then detached from
the 4th Division, 17th Army Corps, and proceeded by steamer to
St. Louis; from thence to Fort Leavenworth, KS, arriving there
July 1, 1865. Joined the army serving on the plains. Arrived
at Fort Kearney August 14; then ordered to return to Fort
Leavenworth, September 1, 1865, where the Regiment was
mustered out of service and placed en route for Springfield,
IL., for final payment and discharge--having served four years
and four months.

Number of miles marched 4,299
Number of miles by rail 2,403
Number of miles by steamer 4,310
Number of men joined from organization 1,963
Number of men at date of muster-out 640

Actually, I think you've both helped me solve this! Seems like a case of bad family history info.

We had been lead to believe that our James H. Wylie served in Wisconsin. This was based on nothing more than his date of birth, his name, and the fact that most of my family actually moved to Walworth County, Wisconsin after the war.

The problem here is that there is a second family of Wylies that were in Walworth long before my branch (as best as I can tell, they are unrelated). This second branch includes Quartermaster George W. Wylie of the 28th, and his younger brother James Hempstead Wylie (a James H, but not my James Harvey!), who I now believe is probably the James H. Wylie that served in the Wisconsin 2nd and 6th. James Hemptead would have been something like 24 at the time.

It seems much more likely that my James Harvey Wylie (who would have only been 15 1/2 at the time the other James enlisted in the 2nd) enlisted in his home county unit (Woodstock, McHenry, Illinois) of the Illinois 15th at closer to age 18. To me this seems much more plausible than enlisting at 15, fighting through a couple of years for Wisconsin, transferring to Illinois, getting captured/released, and some how back to Wisconsin. The mustered out dates are both different as well, and the Wisconsin dates really don't make sense for someone that had been a P.O.W. at the time Illinois James was.

Actually, I think you've both helped me solve this! Seems like a case of bad family history info.

That was my first thought. Someone in your family who had linked the wrong military records with your ancestor. However, it does seem like the two men had a lot of connections that could easily caused this mistake.

Back