1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Pvt. Daniel Jenkins and wife.

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by CSA Today, Sep 13, 2013.

1. CSA Today

CSA Today Major

1229959_298850840256443_1402110616_n.jpg

Daniel served with the Confederate 9th Kentucky Infantry. Killed at the Battle of Shiloh.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. AUG351

AUG351 2nd Lieutenant

4. Cumpston1862

Cumpston1862 Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

A haunting image.

This is a rare benefit in knowing Daniel's name and unit and where/when he lost his life in that it gives us students of this tragic war an idea of what kind of greatcoat/uniform the 9th Kentucky was wearing probably just prior to the Battle of Shiloh.

R.I.P. Daniel Jenkins and his poor wife.
  5. Cumpston1862

Cumpston1862 Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Got the itch to dig deeper during lunch today.

According to what I have found the 9th Kentucky was initially known as the 5th Kentucky until its reorganization in May 1862. So Daniel W. Jenkins would probably have been in the 5th Kentucky when he fought at Shiloh on April 6, 1862.

Daniel W. Jenkins enlisted in company B, 5th (9th) Kentucky Infantry on October 2, 1861. The 5th Kentucky Infantry was a part of the famous Kentucky Orphan Brigade. He gave his place of residence as Camp Green River, Kentucky which is also his enlistment place. Most of the brigade was able to exchange their smoothbore muskets for Enfield rifled muskets just a week prior to the battle of Shiloh...except the 5th.

All documents I have found list Daniel's death as April 6, 1862...the first day of the Battle of Shiloh.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)