Pvt.Andrew Winn - 42nd Virginia Infantry Company F

• Thread starter Deleted member 8452
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8452

Andrew Jackson Winn was abt. born 1838 in Brunswick County, Virginia, he later moved to Henry County and Franklin County, Virginia spending his life in Virginia near the border with North Carolina.

Pvt.Andrew Winn joined the 42nd Virginia Infantry and served in many battles and campaigns with that regiment, he was wounded several times, a minor wound at Kernstown, and a severe wound "in the face" at Chancellorsville. At the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House he was mortally wounded with a gunshot to the thorax and died a few days later after being captured.

8cr9bLf11xu13sbX6Wh31cYV_ymS!W0UXHsE8yP44GpPnGyXSmM5Kc_ZuaHdBjaE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
His burial location remains unknown, most likely in a mass grave.

Yes, it's a very nicely preserved photo. And another of those earnest looking young men who died too soon. I thought the drapery down the side of his head was very interesting, too. Haven't seen anything quite like it before.

I wonder if his people and mine shared a twig somewhere on the old tree. None that I know of so likely a long time ago and lost to antiquity if so, but still ...

I'm sure if you go far enough, he probably a really distant cousin or something.

Back