Proper ANV salute?

CSA Army Regs
243. when a soldier, without arms, or with side-arms only, meets an.
officer, he is to raise his hand to the right side of the visor of his cap,
palm to the front, elbow raised as high tut the shoulder, looking at the
same time in a respectful and soldier-like manner at the officer, who will
return the compliment thus offered.

Thanks for th0e answers. So both sides did it the same but different than now. cool.
No offence but the American salute looks kind of lazy compared to the British salute, I hope that makes sense.
main-qimg-34ee1730977a1733ad72794e00319695-c?convert_to_webp=true.jpg

When did the US change their salute to its modern form?

Nobody seems to know, although I did read that it was the Navy that changed the salute, something to do with handling ropes, obviously handling ropes caused the sailors to get dirty palms and it was thought offensive to salute with dirt on the palms so they were ordered to salute palms down. I don't know if there's any truth in that.

British carrier pilots use the same salute as the Yanks when they are in the cockpit, but that is for practical reasons only, that is the only time I think that the Brits use it. I still think that the British salute which coincidently your forces used for many years is the better of the two.
Another example is when an officer is out walking on a large military base, coming frequently into contact with enlisted personnel. Each encounter typically requires a hand salute. Tough for me to imagine a British salute of such formality every several minutes or so when a simple but dignified American style salute smartly gets the job done.

All you gents of former military service, I have a question for you all.

Way back in 1973, I was standing in front of an E-5 promotion board in Karamusel, Turkey, a Common Defense Installation, jointly manned by US Army, US Air Force, US Navy and Turkish Navy personnel.

One of the board members asked me the following question:

"The British Army marches to a cadence of two. The French Army marches to a cadence of two. The US Army marches to a cadence of four.

Why
?"

Didn't know the answer then, don't know it now.

Anyone know why the difference in cadence counts?

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Way back in 1973, I was standing in front of an E-5 promotion board in Karamusel, Turkey, a Common Defense Installation, jointly manned by US Army, US Air Force, US Navy and Turkish Navy personnel.

"The British Army marches to a cadence of two. The French Army marches to a cadence of two. The US Army marches to a cadence of four.

Why
?"

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I think the answer is in this short vid,www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6bhv4i8qso you can definitely hear the cadence of 4, I don't think that there's any rhyme or reason to the cadence of 4 its just developed from the Duckworth chant, as for the British Infantry a cadence of 2 came about because of the speed that light infantry battalions were expected to move over long distances, the light division marches at 140 steps per minute whereas U.S Infantry march on average 120 steps.. I think all US military cadence songs developed from the Duckworth chant, different drill instructors added their own lyrics and developed it to suit the work being done.

Last edited:

Why
?"

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I do know that we step-off with the left foot first. And, the left foot goes down with the bass drum beat when accompanied by a band. And, when accompanied by a band, they usually play marches which have 4 beats to a measure. No clue what the Brits and French are up to.

I do know that we step-off with the left foot first. And, the left foot goes down with the bass drum beat when accompanied by a band. And, when accompanied by a band, they usually play marches which have 4 beats to a measure. No clue what the Brits and French are up to.
British army is the same, step off with left foot right arm. The French however, they do their own thing, I think the French foreign legion have by far the coolest of the slow marches, especially when they march to Le Boudin.

Back