Pretend Christmas Party or for all Holiday Party for the Forum

Thanks Donna, that's typical of you! One side was cleared- 70%, that swine. ( the one who kept being delighted because his ' treatment', he told us, had already cleared those arteries ). The other is at 100%, can't be done without more invasive methods- have to go back. The darn thing grew it's own bypass! He's missed hunting, real hunting, for 7 or 8 years in a row, too tough walking the mountains. Thought it was his back- it's been this stupid thing. You could charge a patient for being neglectful if he HAD been- but he wasn't. Thought he'd done all the right things, was told he was fine. Just wow.

It'll be a great Thanksgiving anyway! Kids won't come until there's more time off- Pittsburgh, Boston, etc. That'll be Christmas. Making turkey, etc. for 3 of us! Hope you day is wonderful!
JPK, I'm glad to know your husband is on the mend. Much to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving.

Thought we needed a vegetable to serve.

Greens and Hot Dressing

1/4 pound bacon
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar

Gather the greens (or buy them in store since it now winter). Add leaf lettuce and beet tops. Wash and clean them Place in a bowl. Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and reserve. Add vinegar and sugar to frying pan simmer gently for a few minutes and add bacon. Pour hot dressing over greens. Stir well to blend. Serve immediately.

Mashed Potatoes with Onions

6 medium potatoes
2/3 cup milk
6 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Peel potatoes, cut in half; place them in a sauce pan; add water to cover them. Boil until tender; drain. Add half the milk and 5 tablespoons od butter. Rub through a colander or use a potato masher to remove the lumps. Add remaining milk, salt and pepper and stir with spoon. Mix 1/2 cup chopped onion saute'ed in butter into the potatoes just before serving.

This a recreated recipe from "The Virginia Housewife" by Mary Randolph, 1860.

As trees go up, maybe anyone who wishes to provide decorations for the party can post those, too- not just trees, anything. OH and what the pets will be wearing to the festivities!

Thought we needed a vegetable to serve.

Greens and Hot Dressing

1/4 pound bacon
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar

Gather the greens (or buy them in store since it now winter). Add leaf lettuce and beet tops. Wash and clean them Place in a bowl. Fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and reserve. Add vinegar and sugar to frying pan simmer gently for a few minutes and add bacon. Pour hot dressing over greens. Stir well to blend. Serve immediately.
When you say greens, exactly what do you mean?

Greens could be dandelion greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, turnip greens or collard greens. Just take your pick or mix them
Please don't think I am a complete food idiot, it's just that a lot of what you seem to take for granted as food is just never seen here in the Frozen North. :confused: As Big Bird says, "How are you going to find out answers if you never ask any questions?":giggle:

You know so much about food and have great recipes. I don't know a lot about what you all grow.

Greens are a southern dish. I grew up on them. My Granny grew them and used them in cooking.

My Mom always fixed kale and spinach for us and she was an Italian from New York. Her mother liked to cook them too.

Please don't think I am a complete food idiot, it's just that a lot of what you seem to take for granted as food is just never seen here in the Frozen North. :confused: As Big Bird says, "How are you going to find out answers if you never ask any questions?":giggle:

Don't be fooled, Northern Light. I'm convinced this has to be a genetic thing, swear! Southerners have a Greens Gene ( hahahahahaha, Mr. Green Jeans? Captain Kangaroo? No? ) we just, plain lack up here- HAS to be the case. I have dutifully slogged my way through several plates of this stuff secretly convinced my Southern friends were perpetrating a gigantic ruse. Apparently not, and this is their cheesecake, chocolate ice cream and sprinkles all at the same time. I think it all tastes like if spinach and grass had babies. :smile: It's all very, very good for you, wish we had The Green Gene too.

Don't be fooled, Northern Light. I'm convinced this has to be a genetic thing, swear! Southerners have a Greens Gene ( hahahahahaha, Mr. Green Jeans? Captain Kangaroo? No? ) we just, plain lack up here- HAS to be the case. I have dutifully slogged my way through several plates of this stuff secretly convinced my Southern friends were perpetrating a gigantic ruse. Apparently not, and this is their cheesecake, chocolate ice cream and sprinkles all at the same time. I think it all tastes like if spinach and grass had babies. :smile: It's all very, very good for you, wish we had The Green Gene too.
:roflmao: Green Gene! Haha! We need the extra protein and carbs of cheesecake to keep us warm during the winters north of the Mason Dixon line!:rofl:

My husband has to have vinegar with his greens.
Sort of like our fiddleheads, which are the new curls of Ostrich Fern, before they unfurl. Most people eat them with vinegar, but I like them with butter and lemon juice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never have or heard of fiddleheads.interesting worth a taste sometime.
They are good when fresh and cooked til tender crisp. A lot of people freeze them, but I don't care for them that way, as they get mushy. They make a really good soup, though.
“Creamy” Fiddlehead Soup
  • By: Marie Nightingale, in Saltscapes Magazine
Expired Image Removed
Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons (30 mL) butter or oil
4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
1½ cups (375 mL) peeled, diced potatoes
2 cups (500 mL) cleaned fiddleheads
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
1½ cups (375 mL) milk
Garnish: yogurt, grated lemon rind, or chives

Share this recipe

Directions
In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, sauté onion in butter or oil until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes, fiddleheads, bay leaf, and enough chicken stock to make the vegetables just swim.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and barely simmer, partially covered, for one hour. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Remove bay leaf.

In a blender, process mixture in batches. (Can be prepared to this point a day or two ahead. Cool, cover, and refrigerate.)

Return mixture to saucepan and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Add milk, a little at a time, until it reaches the consistency you like. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in heated soup bowls, garnished as desired.

Serves 6-8

Back