1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Preservation Opportunity: 15 acres of Fleetwood Hill, near Brandy Station, VA

Discussion in 'Battlefield Preservation' started by civilwartalk, Jul 18, 2012.

1. civilwartalk

civilwartalk Lieutenant General Owner & Webmaster

From Eric Wittenburg's "Rantings of a Civil War Historian"

As I mentioned yesterday, there is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to purchase 50 acres of Fleetwood Hill (and to tear down the hideous McMansion that tops the hill), the site of four major cavalry battles in 1862-1863. If I was Joseph McKinney (and thank God that I’m not), the following things would have happened already:​

1. I would have contacted the realtor for the sale of the 15-acre tract at the top of Fleetwood Hill and would have engaged in negotiations to conclude a contract for the purchase of the land.​

2. I would have sent out a mass fundraising appeal to my membership, pointing out that this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to save the most fought-over piece of ground in the United States, and I would be doing everything humanly possible to make that happen.​

Read More Here: http://civilwarcavalry.com/?p=3329

zumbawithcindy likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. civilwartalk

civilwartalk Lieutenant General Owner & Webmaster

This is a rare opportunity to save an important piece of Civil War Hallowed Ground. I hope that the Civil War Trust or some other worthy organization, or individual can save and preserve what's left of a very important piece history.

4. prroh

prroh Captain

I agree that the house is an eyesore, regardless what ground it stands on.

zumbawithcindy likes this.
  5. Josey_Wales

Josey_Wales Private

Someone should write a letter/email to the civil war trust about this situation.

6. Pvt_McIntire

Pvt_McIntire Private

The Civil War Trust is definitely aware of this.

Nathanb1 and zumbawithcindy like this.
  7. zumbawithcindy

zumbawithcindy Private

I wish I could be there when they take the "large removal tool" to scrape the McMansion from that hallowed hill!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)