Powder Flask - real or repro?

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
I inherited this from my father who was a collector of everything.
It still has gunpowder in it. Should I be concerned? :frantic:

20150228_174356_resized.jpg
20150228_174902_resized.jpg

Just ignore the dust and spider webs. :unsure:

Last edited:
You have a good Civil War flask. I wouldn't be worried about the powder but if possible dump out what is in there. Maybe use a wire to loosen it up without damaging the spout. In time the powder may eat through from the inside. Then pour a little gun oil mixed with some kerosene. It survived this long. Nice flask, it must have been special if it was your dads.

Lelliott19-

It looks to be authentic. Unless it is specifically dated though I would estimate it to be pre-Civil War or Civil War era. The link below has a couple of very similar examples that will give you more information.

I would also agree with the above posts about removing the powder as it will not do the brass any favors.

I very much like the shaking hands on the flask. That was the period symbol of "Union Forever".

You will need to scroll down a bit to find the flasks on this page btw.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/civilwarantiques/1401webcat.html

I inherited this from my father who was a collector of everything.
It still has gunpowder in it. Should I be concerned? :frantic:

View attachment 60312 View attachment 60314

Just ignore the dust and spider webs. :unsure:
I don't know it this means anything but there are 26 stars around the handshake. Michigan was admitted as the 26th State in 1837, Florida the 27th in 1845. Maybe it can be dated to that period between the two events.

This particular flask is commonly referred to as the "Peace Flask". This design was also reproduced in mass. I have one identical that's a reproduction that I have had for decades. The one you have unfortunately is one of the reproductions. Some also found with ring loops on the sides, some not.

The Reproduction... typically found with the top that is not removable. It is held onto the body of the flask via small screws. external visible valve spring. The straight brass charger tubes on top are usually for a fixed amount of powder. (it unscrews out of the top so you can put another size one in use on the same flask) Normally found without a makers mark.
flask-9090252_1_l.jpg

flask-9841037_1_l.jpg

flask-peace_1.jpg

The Original flask of this pattern is constructed a bit differently. Notice the difference in the top/shank parts. The head is removable (unscrews) for filling the flask, the valve spring is internal. The charger tube is beveled at the end and is adjustable to set for different powder amounts. These are normally marked with maker and most times also dated.
flask-group-44_47_57.jpg

flask-6435174_1_l.jpg

flask-1844full1.jpg

flask-1857mrking3.jpg

flask-1857_1847spouts2.jpg

Thanks @Frederick14Va ! I kinda thought it was a repro but still cool I think. :bounce: When were they repro'd? Mine has "been in the family" for at least 50 years. No date on it though.

Thanks @Frederick14Va ! I kinda thought it was a repro but still cool I think. :bounce: When were they repro'd? Mine has "been in the family" for at least 50 years. No date on it though.

They probably have been reproduced since at least around the 1950-60 era or so.... The forthcoming of the 100th anniversary cycle before the 196o's ... much of all this stuff became popular. The one that I have I got used in mid-70's... just used it for plinking with one of my black powder guns on the farm when I was still just a teen...

This posting very helpful as I have a "peace flask" as well, similar to the one above. Mine however I bought at an auction, not knowing what it was all about. I'm not really a collector and willing to part with it should there be a collector who would appreciate it. It sounds like mine is a reproduction as well.

I also ;have one of the repros that I have used with my reproduction Hawken rifle for a few decades. If my memory is correct this was originally a flask made to present to Indians on the peace expiditions into the west.

Back