Post Battle View of East Cemetery Hill From Baltimore Pike

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
This is a follow up to my earlier post of the Cemetery Gatehouse. This early July 1863 image is from the opposite direction as O'Sullivan's photograph in mu previous post. In fact, O'Sullivan's camera location would have been in this frame just behind where I have labeled "Stewart's Lunettes". This camera would have been on the Baltimore Pike in front of the gatehouse. Some of the more interesting details found in this image are the much discussed tulip poplar atop Cemetery Hill, an embalmer's tent, and the inside of Stewart's lunettes re-enforced with logs and fence rails. Standing against a fence pole is the Vivandiere of the 114th Pa, Mary Tepe. Barely visible along the horizon are the lunettes of Wiedrich's guns (label is misspelled). During the evening attack on July 2nd, the Louisiana Tigers temporarily captured these guns before being forced back by Union re-enforcements. That dramatically shows just how close the Confederates came to capturing the Baltimore Pike, the lifeline of the Army of the Potomac.
try2.jpg

I learned a new Civil War word: "Lunette". Since I am a map freak, I immediately saved this one into the file, for further study, as I am somewhat familiar with the evening battle that took place on July 2. Our old friend the poplar -- a close up view gives me perspective for later shots when it is in the background.

Thank you, @Gettysburg Greg ! Which of the equestrian statues are we looking at (I cannot see well enough even at magnification)

Besides Hancock, the other equestrian statue on the hill (can't be seen in Greg's picture) is Howard. It was a bit of a sore point as to who should be in command of the Army on the evening of July 1, so both of their statues wound up there.
ECemHill-Map.jpg

Besides Hancock, the other equestrian statue on the hill (can't be seen in Greg's picture) is Howard. It was a bit of a sore point as to who should be in command of the Army on the evening of July 1, so both of their statues wound up there.

Another map to add to the collection -- thank you!

Back