Portrait of unidentified West Point cadet?

Look at the flat kepi - clearly a product of the 1880's; or more likely 1890's!

Interesting. LoC says the album it came from was compiled in the 1860's (could have been added later I guess) and the CDV format could easily be 1860's.

Many of the more prestigious military schools had their own belt plate. The jacket does not look up to the normal West Point standards and in fact has a cheaper look to it. The trim is not as extensive, the collar looks not well fit to the cadet. There were many military school during this time period.

Are there any other examples of 1800's portraits of cadets wearing faux-West Point uniforms you know of?

View attachment 123123

At least I think he might be a West Point cadet.

Source.

This looks to be a portrait of the same man (right) with two others:

cdv portrait three men wearing hats 1860's.jpg

He has one stripe on his pants here.What is he holding in his right hand? What type of kepi is the man on the left wearing?

Source: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/98506734/

Are there any other examples of 1800's portraits of cadets wearing faux-West Point uniforms you know of?

The two probably next-famous military institutes, the VMI and the Citadel, were both using a similar style. There of course were a few differences, e.g. the sleeve insignia for the Citadel. Another one would be the La Grange Military Institute (Alabama).

... He has one stripe on his pants here.What is he holding in his right hand?

A cigar!

What type of kepi is the man on the left wearing?

The same as the one on the right; what you're looking at is a removable waterproof kepi or forage cap cover made of either tarred canvas (like a haversack) or rubberized cloth (like a poncho or ground cloth).

The same as the one on the right; what you're looking at is a removable waterproof kepi or forage cap cover made of either tarred canvas (like a haversack) or rubberized cloth (like a poncho or ground cloth).

Oops, I meant what the emblem on the kepi of the man on the left is.

Back