Pocket Watch Presented to Col. George W. Gallup, 14th KY Mounted Infantry

View attachment 121466 View attachment 121467 View attachment 121468 View attachment 121469 View attachment 121470 View attachment 121471 View attachment 121466 View attachment 121467 View attachment 121468 View attachment 121469 View attachment 121470 View attachment 121471 View attachment 121466 View attachment 121467 View attachment 121468 View attachment 121466 View attachment 121467 View attachment 121468

Some pictures of my latest acquisition, taken by the previous owner. are attached. The watch has an unsigned 15 jewel Swiss Lepine Calibre movement with side lever escapement, temperature-compensated balance and simple regulator. The parallel train wheel bridges, in particular, make this movement very typical of Swiss exports during the American Civil War period. The 18 karat gold hunting style (i.e., covered crystal) case is likely of American origin, and is a bit unusual in having two inner rear lids, or cuvettes (a.k.a. dust covers). The outer cuvette contains a picture frame, now empty, whereas the inner one bears two presentations and two keyholes, one for the winding arbor and one for the setting arbor. The Gothic "A. S." on the insides of both outer lids is either a retailer's mark or a case maker's mark, but most likely the former.

Though not all of it can be read in the picture, the first presentation reads: "Presented to Col. Geo. W. [Washington] Gallup by the Officers and Soldiers of the 14th Regt. KY V. [Volunteer] Inf,. May 1st, 1863."

The second presentation reads, "Gen.l G. W. Gallup to his son, G. F. [Gideon Frederick] Gallup, May 15th, 1873." [GHG was an attorney in KY, which is the same profession for which his father had originally trained.]

Gallup, born in Albany, NY in 1828, began his military service as a Lieutenant in the 14th KY mounted Infantry, and became that regiment's Colonel in January, 1863. From August, 1863 through May, 1864, he served as the Commander of the Eastern KY Military District, a brigade command assignment. Then he and the 14th KY were assigned to General Sherman's army for the duration of the Atlanta Campaign. Sometime probably in 1865, he was brevetted to Brigadier General.

Numerous letters written by Col. Gallup to his wife Rebecca, as well as a war diary written by Col. Gallup, which documents part of his time in uniform, are preserved in the Filson Historical Library, in Louisville, KY. A letter to his wife written on May 18, 1864, just over a year after he received the watch, reads in part, "We go to the front tomorrow. I report direct to General Schofield, Cmmndg, the 23rd Army Corps. ..... Will took my watch in the trunk back with him. ..." This passage suggests that Gallup had had the watch with him on campaign for the previous very busy, combat-filled year.

The patriotism of the times comes through in some of the other passages from Gallup's personal letters to his wife. For instance, on June 20, 1863, he wrote, "... Do not be uneasy about me. Our men are brave and trustworthy, knowing their cause is just, that they fight for an outraged country, for her noble and free institutions, her time-honored and glorious old flag, they will brave danger and death and dear will be the victory. ... So content yourself, my dear wife, knowing that brave arms and noble hearts surround me. If I ever fall upon the battlefield, let it be among my noble boys, men who I love next to you and my dear children. ..." For a public speech, such strong patriotic sentiments might not seem remarkable, but for a personal letter to a spouse, quite striking! Several other letters contain equally fervent patriotic passages.

The 14th KY, a mounted infantry unit, saw considerable action and had admirable accomplishments on the battlefield, having earned multiple commendations from their general command for gallant and effective service. To whit:

"Headquarters Second Division, 23rd Army Corps, Army of the Ohio, June 23, 1864, Marietta Road, the General Commanding this division desires to draw attention to divisions, brigades and regiments, officers and men, to the conduct, undaunted courage and bravery of this Fourteenth Regiment, Kentucky Volunteers, now assembled, Colonel George W. Gallup, his officers and men, who are now present before you, his officers and men, ..., who held back and checked the advance of the enemy's attack in Marietta Road in column of companies front and artillery in sections ... This noble regiment alone and determined met the advance, which had much superior numbers, with such effect, repulsed the head of their column, deliberately firing at less than forty yards into their forward line, ... ."

XX Corps Commander, General Hooker, once publicly opined that if he had had one hundred regiments like the 14th KY and officers like Colonel Gallup to lead them, he "...could take Richmond or Washington City." The regiment fought at the Battles of Ivy Mtn., Middle Creek, and Salyersville, in KY; Lost Mtn. GA; Laurel Creek and Magoffin Creek, W. VA; New Hope Church, Kennesaw, Peachtree Creek, Cobb Station, and Jonesboro GA; Johnsonville, TN; and Atlanta, Kolb's Farm and Marietta, GA. The regiment lost a total of 201 men during service; 5 officers and 49 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 5 officers and 142 enlisted men died of disease.

Attachments

• Col GW Gallup Watch Front.JPG
    Col GW Gallup Watch Front.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Col GW Gallup Watch Movement.JPG
    Col GW Gallup Watch Movement.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Col GW Gallup Watch Dial.JPG
    Col GW Gallup Watch Dial.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Col GW Gallup Cuvette.JPG
    Col GW Gallup Cuvette.JPG