Please help me identify Inherited Tintype.

kyle3737

Cadet
Hello All,
I'm very new and also very interested in Civil War History. I also recently took on metal detecting with aspirations of discovering Civ artifacts!! But the main reason for this post is to ask for assistance identifying the mystery man on this tintype. This has been passed down from generation to generation and Ive never been told who he is. Any help or knowledge you may have is very much appreciated! I also would love any advice on how value is determined on items like this one.
Thanks Again!
~Kyle

Attachments

• Lee-1.jpg
    Lee-1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 313
  • Lee-9.jpg
    Lee-9.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 298
He looks a little like General Gordon, but I don't think it is Gordon.

06185v.jpg

[Portrait of Gen. John B. Gordon, officer of the Confederate Army].
Brady National Photographic Art Gallery (Washington, D.C.), photographer.
CREATED/PUBLISHED
[Between 1860 and 1865]
SUMMARY
Gordonis not in uniform.
NOTES
Reference: Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 / compiled by Hirst D. Milhollen and Donald H. Mugridge, Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1977. No. 1030
Title from Milhollen and Mugridge.
Forms part of Selected Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 (Library of Congress)

We need more details as to who owned it and what state they lived in in the 1860s. Welcome from Nashville.

I really wish I had more info to offer. As far as I know the only people who have had possession of it were all in the Middle TN area. I have a feeling I would know if the mystery officer was a family member. I'm guessing someone either purchased it or acquired it waaay back when. Thank you very much for responding.

He looks a little like General Gordon, but I don't think it is Gordon.

06185v.jpg

[Portrait of Gen. John B. Gordon, officer of the Confederate Army].
Brady National Photographic Art Gallery (Washington, D.C.), photographer.
CREATED/PUBLISHED
[Between 1860 and 1865]
SUMMARY
Gordonis not in uniform.
NOTES
Reference: Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 / compiled by Hirst D. Milhollen and Donald H. Mugridge, Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1977. No. 1030
Title from Milhollen and Mugridge.
Forms part of Selected Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 (Library of Congress)

I agree that this is probably not him, but I'd say its definitely the closest to a match I've seen thus far. Almost looks like a hybrid between Gen. Gordon & Nathan Bedford Forrest. :smile:

I really wish I had more info to offer. As far as I know the only people who have had possession of it were all in the Middle TN area. I have a feeling I would know if the mystery officer was a family member. I'm guessing someone either purchased it or acquired it waaay back when. Thank you very much for responding.
He looks a lot like General Zollicoffer, killed at Fishing Creek. That's my best guess.

I agree that this is probably not him, but I'd say its definitely the closest to a match I've seen thus far. Almost looks like a hybrid between Gen. Gordon & Nathan Bedford Forrest. :smile:
They do have a similar look. Could be somebody on here will know. I looked through several pictures from LOC, but no luck. Could be a family picture not in the LOC collection.

This is so insightful guys and I really appreciate everyone's help with this! I'm taking each possible solution or suggestion and I'm researching them one at a time. Learning soooo much along the way and finally understanding the significance and the impact of the Civil War. Please keep the suggestions coming!!
Thanks again
~Kyle

He has one bar on his shoulder and another on his collar 2nd Lt CSA
Any surnames in family tree to check against CSA rosters?

Back